Continuation Shelby Cobras

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know much about them? I just bought a supercar rental voucher on sale at a daily deal/discount site. They had three cars to pick from: Bentley Continental GTC, Dodge Viper GTS, or a continuation Shelby Cobra.

Sounds like they still get have a 427 but a more modern suspension and brakes. Might be a good time though cruising in the Bentley, though...biturbo AWD V12.

From the late 1980s onwards, Carroll Shelby (Shelby Automobiles, Inc.) and associated companies have built what are known in the hobby as "Continuation Cars"; Shelby authorized continuations of the original AC-bodied Shelby Cobra series. Produced in Las Vegas, Nevada, these cars retain the general style and appearance of their original 1960s ancestors, but are fitted with modern amenities. Initially the car everyone wanted in a Continuation was a 427 S/C model which was represented in the CSX4000 series. This was meant to continue where the last 427 S/C production left off, at approximately serial number CSX3560 in the 1960s.

The initial CSX4000 series cars were completed from some supposedly left over 1960s chassis new old stock as well as new parts. However, all chassis that left AC's are accounted for in their records and there was not a batch left over. Given the value of the vehicle many "extra" cars have appeared over the years, even some sharing the same chassis number. Gradually as the vintage parts supply ran low, newly constructed frames and body panels were obtained from a variety of suppliers. The production of chassis numbers CSX4001 to CSX4999 took roughly 20 years and many different business relationships to complete.

All models of Cobra produced are available now as continuations. In 2009, CSX4999 was produced, concluding the 4000 series. Production has continued with the CSX6000 serial numbers, featuring "coil over" suspension. The 289 FIA "leaf spring" race version of the car is reproduced as CSX7000, and the original "slab side" leaf spring street car is the CSX8000 series.

To date most continuations are produced in fiberglass, with some ordering cars with aluminum or carbon fibre bodywork.

In 2004, at the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Ford unveiled a concept for a modernized Shelby Cobra. The Ford Shelby Cobra Concept was a continuation of Ford's effort to bring back the retro sports cars that had been successful in the 1960s, including the Ford GT40 and the fifth generation Ford Mustang.

Continuation cars were also produced by AC Cars up until 2006, and since 2009 have been produced by AC Heritage who are licensed by AC to produce 289 and 427 continuations.

Right, I was just wondering if anyone had any personal experience or opinions. I watched some YouTube clips...lovely sound, to say the least.

Continuation car or not, its basically a glorified kit car. There is no history there, no X-factor associated with the real thing. I'm sure it would be a fun experience, but at the end of the day you didn't drive a Shelby Cobra 427...you drove a replica of a Shelby Cobra 427.
They are fun to drive for all of 30 minutes...after that it gets annoying, especially in an urban setting. Its one thing to put up with the heat, vibration, and noise associated with a real 427...but a kit car? I'm not sure I'd be down for that...

The Bentley seems like the best choice of the three. Comfortable, fast, and has class the other two don't. It'll turn heads just like the Viper or the Cobra, and people won't look at you like you're a middle aged man going through a crisis like they would if you're driving the Viper or the Cobra.

Basically, it goes down like this.
If I had the car for 30 minutes, I'd take the Cobra. A couple hours, and I'd take the Viper.
But all day...well, the only one of the three that would be comfortable for hours upon hours of driving would be the Bentley. Its also the one that people are going to look at and wonder who's driving it...because the Viper is Joe the Plumber's dream car, and the Cobra is just a toy that makes too much noise (unless its the real thing, in which case you are a God among men for driving it on public roads :)).
But the Bentley...well, you could be a famous rapper, athlete, or actor :p

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm
Might be a good time though cruising in the Bentley, though...biturbo AWD V12.
Aren't they a W12?

I would go for the Bentley or Viper. I've driven several real Cobras and they are not fun to drive for more than a short period of time. There are some improvements on the continuation cars but still not something you would want to take a long trip in.

My bad, W12.

The rental is only for an hour and that's why I think the Cobra could be a lot of fun.

I would never drive one of those little kit cars in real traffic.

Just watched an old guy sail right through a busy intersection against the light. Amazingly he hit no one!

But in a small low lightweight car you are in real trouble even in a minor accident.

At least the Viper meets legal minimums.

Originally Posted By: pzev
But the Bentley...well, you could be a famous rapper, athlete, or actor :p

...or even a very 'successful' crack dealing thug!
wink.gif

A buddy of mine's Dad has a Cobra replica. It is a bad [censored] car for sure. I think he has it up for sale. To many toys Im guessing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back