03 Cobra - UOA - BMW HP 5w-30 with lubro moly/EOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my UOA with 3500 miles on the interval and 51k on the engine. Makes over 500hp and Torque. Oil used is BMW High Performance Full Synthetic oil, I'm a BMW Master Tech so I get this oil very cheap ($5 a quart!)

I added a bottle of Lubro Moly Anti-Friction additive (300ml) and 4 oz of GM EOS. I put in 7 qts of oil.Mixed driving, with the occasional WOT blast
smile.gif
. About to put an Eaton TVS Blower on it and make 700 HP.

Using an Amsoil Dry flow cone style air filter and a PURE ONE Purolator oil filter.

No make-up oil added.

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
IRON 9
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 450
Nickel 0
MANGANESE0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM2
BORON 64
SILICON 9
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 1958
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 755
ZINC 844
BARIUM 0

Blackstone's comments:
Wow, there isn't very much metal in this sample at all. Metals are lower than average, which speaks well about how your engine is wearing. The oil itself was in
good shape physically containing no moisture, fuel, coolant, or other excessive contamination. The viscosity
read as expected, and the low insolubles reading points to proper oil filtration and combustion
characteristics. This is a great report for your Cobra's V-8.

Thanks!

I'm using Moil1 0w-40 (also get it for 5 a quart
smile.gif
with the same additives. I will do another UOA with this combination and see what I get.

Last edited:
I think you messed up typing that report in.. please recheck

Originally Posted By: Jtgrant

ALUMINUM 1
CHROMIUM 0
CHROMIUM 9
COPPER 2
LEAD 0
TIN 1
MOLYBDENUM 450
Nickel 0
MANGANESE0
SILVER 0
TITANIUM 0
POTASSIUM2
BORON 64
SILICON 9
SODIUM 7
CALCIUM 1958
MAGNESIUM 17
PHOSPHORUS 755
ZINC 844
BARIUM 0

Last edited:
Fixed!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Rand!

ALUMINUM 1

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 9

COPPER 2

LEAD 0

TIN 1

MOLYBDENUM 450

Nickel 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 2

BORON 64

SILICON 9

SODIUM 7

CALCIUM 1958

MAGNESIUM 17

PHOSPHORUS 755

ZINC 844

BARIUM 0

I added a bottle of Lubro Moly Anti-Friction additive

What`s the general concensus on this stuff? Is it good stuff/worth it? I see alot of people using it on here. What`s the exact name of it,part number also.

Last edited:
SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 62.4 spec. 56-63

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.89 spec. 9.1-11.3

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

What`s the general concensus on this stuff? Is it good stuff/worth it? I see alot of people using it on here. What`s the exact name of it,part number also.

I take it that is where the Molybdenum is coming from in the report? I'm wondering if this is the route I should be taking. I've been adding ZDDP to my GTO and I know it is most likely overkill and my blend boosts my oil to 1200ppm zinc. I burn a small amount of oil when I drive aggressively and I still have catalytic converters.

Not sure what the UAs would be for this engine, but 3.5k miles isn't a lot of accumulation so the numbers are going to "seem" low here, and they do.

Where is the rest (Vis, coolant, FP, insol, TBN, etc?)

I'm not saying this is a bad report; it's just not a complete report nor outstanding in wear rates.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Torrid
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

I take it that is where the Molybdenum is coming from in the report? I'm wondering if this is the route I should be taking. I've been adding ZDDP to my GTO and I know it is most likely overkill and my blend boosts my oil to 1200ppm zinc. I burn a small amount of oil when I drive aggressively and I still have catalytic converters.

Yes. It is the route I took on my GTO now. Between the thicker Z-rod ans it's Zinc + the 2/3 bottle Lubro-Moly MOS2, it REALLY quietted down the valve train.

BTW: Nice UOA on the Cobra!

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 62.4
cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 10.89
Flashpoint in °F 400
Fuel% Anitfreeeze 0.0
Water 0.0
Insolubles 0.3

I didn't add the TBN to the order. I change the oil every 3.5k -5k miles. Given the power this car makes and it's about to make with the Eaton TVS on it. I can wait to see what Mobil1 0w-40 look like with the same "brew" added.

Thanks

Last edited:
Blackstone said I had great wear numbers, they said they were suprised given the universal averages for these engines how low all the metals were.

The verbiage of "great wear numbers" and seeing the data are two different things. We have no idea what the "universal averages" are for this application.

Next time, please type your data into a text data block tool and post that way. You've got your information spread over at least three posts.

This combo should be good for 5,000 mile intervals or every 6 months at least; regardless of power output unless you are tracking it(that is to say, not just a few runs at the drag strip).

Nice report. Post up a sample of this combo or whatever you run next in this app @ 5,000 miles. TBN is extra $10 for a B_S sample. Go for it, but not necessary just out of curiosity.

I agree with ltslimjim here.

You should be able to run at least to the OEM OCI with a decent oil. And TBN would be a worthless proposition in a "normal" OCI duration. Just about any oil you use would be more than sufficient in regard to TBN; why spend the money when you are running less than the normal OCI?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back