Mobil 1 5w-30, 3020 Mi, Modified 2006 Pontiac GTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

Wasn't going to post it, but here goes.

2006 Pontiac GTO. 42,128 miles with a 6.0L LS2 engine, Maggie 112 Supercharger, Intercooled, CAI, JBA Headers, Corsa/Borla Exhaust. ~500 RWHP.

Previous Owner's California Mobil 1 5w-30 with a Promotive Filter. I wanted it out for a full season's run of Amsoil Z-Rod's 11.8 viscosity & add. pack protection.

3,020 on oil & filter. Drained hot & mid-stream sample.

This drain has about 2 Oz Lucas Zinc+ for the last 200 miles for PPM curoisity.

BLACKSTONE'S COMMENTS: Thanks for the notes. Sounds like a car that could get you in trouble quite easily and those are the best kind. It's not unusual to see modified engines like this one produce more wear metals than a stock engine, but that's not the case here. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4800 miles on the oil. You're shorter oil run is one reason for the lower wear, but these metals still show a mechanically sound engine. No fuel or coolant was present and air and oil filtration look great. Enjoy your GTO this spring/summer.

GTO's #'s 1st, Universal Averages at 4,800 is 2nd.

Code:

Aluminum 3 4

Chromium 1 1

Iron 17 27

Copper 14 83!!

Lead 4 7

Tin 2 1

Molybdenum 95 85

Nickel 2 1

Manganese 1 1

Silver 0 0

Titanium 0 0

Potassium 2 3

Boron 65 60

Silicon 8 13

Sodium 4 74

Calcium 1401 2496

Magnesium 630 118

Phosphorus 828 696

Zinc 963 849

Barium 0 0

SUS Viscosity @210F: 59.0

cST Viscosity @100C: 9.92

Flashpoint: 420

Fuel:
Antifreeze: 0

Water%: 0

Insolubles: 0.3 Should be

I filled with 6 quarts Amsoil Z-Rod 10w-30 + 0.4 quarts Valvoline VR-1 10w-30 + 2/3 bottle Lubro-Moly MOS2. Spun on a NAPA Platinum Oil Filter.

The LS2 engine valve train noise is now quieter and less "loose" sounding. Glad I made the change in this set-up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, REDDOG!

I'm glad to see the CAI air filtration work so well.

Also suprised to see the Copper so low!

It looks like viscosity is on the lower end of a xw-30 weight.

For an LS motor, the copper is low. The Fe is also lower than other Mobil-1 UOA: There isn't even enough to make a small anvil.

For all the stuff you have on the motor, it looks very good.

Looks good. This is the SN M1 version, but where is the Na coming from?

Originally Posted By: buster
Looks good. This is the SN M1 version, but where is the Na coming from?

Oops!! Mistake as I copied & pasted from my last report to just change the numbers & not have to type the names in. I'll have Admin change.
smile.gif

Sodium is "4", not 124.

Good catch, Buster.
thumbsup2.gif

PO receipts say he changed M1 5w-30 about every 3,500 miles.

Do you guys see other LS2 motors with such low Copper?

Not with so few miles on them! Usually the GM V8s throw a pile of copper for the first 75 k or so, from what I've seen.

And, right out of the box the copper can be quite alarming!

Originally Posted By: REDDOG
Not with so few miles on them! Usually the GM V8s throw a pile of copper for the first 75 k or so, from what I've seen.

Well, yea, that's what I have seen on most GM V8's also. My 5.3L is a good example.

But, it's the 6.0 LS2 I was wondering if they threw a lot of Copper too.

I think its an amazing report, considering the extra power the engine puts out. I'm impressed. Excited to see the UOA from the next fill but feel that you ruined it by backyard mixing your own brew. It makes it impossible to tell anything and pin point what works, if the next UOA comes back better.

Originally Posted By: Artem
I think its an amazing report, considering the extra power the engine puts out. I'm impressed. Excited to see the UOA from the next fill but feel that you ruined it by backyard mixing your own brew. It makes it impossible to tell anything and pin point what works, if the next UOA comes back better.

Thanks, you should hear this engine with the shot of Moly & higher viscosity. Night & day.

We know what the V-Rod is & what the VR1 is from their VOA's and can easily figure it out. The Lubro-Moly is the wild card here.

I'll do a UOA later on my Summer brew.
smile.gif
It should come up:
01.gif

This is pretty reassuring. I haven't had the SN in my GTO yet, but definitely looking forward to trying it. For those that feel Xw30s aren't thick enough for LSXs, this should really say something.

I believe the SN M1 is a better oil than the SM version, as it should be.

Originally Posted By: buster
I believe the SN M1 is a better oil than the SM version, as it should be.

I thought so. I'm finally getting close to depleting my massive SM stockpile I've had for 2 years.

Originally Posted By: Torrid
This is pretty reassuring. I haven't had the SN in my GTO yet, but definitely looking forward to trying it. For those that feel Xw30s aren't thick enough for LSXs, this should really say something.

Nice I can help out.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back