PP -- 5w-20 -- 15,053 on oil -- 5.7L HEMI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I cut the time on this oil change a little shorter compared to my past sample. I did change the oil for this sample. Overall... I'm really happy with this engine/oil/filter combo. BTW... using Wix oil and air filters.

uoa187553.jpg

A syn product actually used to it's full intent; extended OCIs.

And yet the engine did not self-destruct.

Kind of puts the whole "change oil often; it's cheap insurance" topic in perspective. If more people actually did this, it wouldn't see like heresy to most folks.

Great report.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
A syn product actually used to it's full intent; extended OCIs.

And yet the engine did not self-destruct.

Kind of puts the whole "change oil often; it's cheap insurance" topic in perspective. If more people actually did this, it wouldn't see like heresy to most folks.

Great report.

I agree, it's just too bad that not everyone can go 15k miles without the engine suffering a bit.

Originally Posted By: 2006_Charger_R/T
As far as to my driving habits. I have a 160 mile commute in NY/NJ highway traffic. Some stop and go at times with spirited driving in between. :p

OMG! We have an approximately 180 mile, 3.25 hour trip between our old hose in OR to the new place at the beach in WA: I can't imagine how much time you spend on an 160 mile East Coast commute!

Not every work day?

Cheers!

p.s. 15K OCI's and that kind of O/A data history is truly amazing! Look at the TBN. If your OCI was 1/2 that it would still be outstanding.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 2006_Charger_R/T
As far as to my driving habits. I have a 160 mile commute in NY/NJ highway traffic. Some stop and go at times with spirited driving in between. :p

Should have specified... that's round trip and only 4 days a week.

Originally Posted By: JAG
Impressive. As long as the engine is staying clean, this oil and OCI seems to be working well. The oil did thicken somewhat.

The oxidative thickening would concern me.
10,000 miles is about as long as I'd run this oil.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
Impressive. As long as the engine is staying clean, this oil and OCI seems to be working well. The oil did thicken somewhat.

But the oxidative thickening is very minimal. I'd rather see minimal thickening than oil shearing out of grade. With 15K miles, minimal thickening is expected due to loss of VII's.

Gasp!! 15K on 5W-20 and the truck is still running??!!?! How is that possible? Imagine how long you could have gone with xx-30 or xx-40?

^^^^

Great report and very low wear metals; I would not change a thing!

Originally Posted By: deven
Originally Posted By: CATERHAM

But the oxidative thickening is very minimal. I'd rather see minimal thickening than oil shearing out of grade. With 15K miles, minimal thickening is expected due to loss of VII's.

I personally think it sheared just like pretty much all oils do within the first 5k miles and is now beginning to thicken towards the end of it's useful life.
49.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back