CATERHAM Blend!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
I'm surprised there are no threads about DIY gasoline blending.
smile.gif

Hey, if I had easy access to the various unleaded racing fuels out there...
wink.gif
lol.gif

Uhh, well...

I have started blending fuel in my Camaro because I am getting knock at part-throttle acceleration when I run 89-octane, but I am too much of a cheapskate to run 93 octane all the time. So I run half a tank of 89 and half a tank of 93. It takes longer at the pump, and only saves me about a buck, but what can I say? I've been assimilated by the BITOG!

Same here.

I will get some knock at large throttle openings at mid rev's in my Caterham on premium 91 octane gas. No problem on 93 octane and Sunoco (now Petro-Canada) 94 octane but that stuff is expensive. So I'm experimenting. Half and half produces no knock so I probabily only need a quarter tank of the high octane stuff to eliminate the knock.

Also I've learned not to buy expensive high octane gas unless you're going to use it right away. The octane rating of gas declines with age. Premium gas may have an octane rating no higher than regular after six months or so.

Hmmmm.....maybe I should try that too!!

My car calls for premium but I don't think I drive it hard enough that I really need to worry about detonation. Since they're talking about $1.60/liter by summer I've been thinking about trying 89 or 87. Maybe I should try a blend!

Something that I've always wanted to do is have a two octane system in a car.

One thing I don't like about spark ignition (especially boosted S.I.) is that you need the octane for the worst useage on that tank, and in general use, only a couple of percent of the time do you need that octane.

A system where the main tank is regular, and an auxilliary high octane tank, and the fuel blended in the engine intake rather than the tank.

Guy at work is messing with a small E85 tank, with dedicated pump/injector with an aftermarket computer to put increasing E85 in with boost, and pull back the regular.

Some of the L67 guys down here are dual chipping their delcos for low and high (E85) tune.

Don't discount water injection either.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

One thing I don't like about spark ignition (especially boosted S.I.) is that you need the octane for the worst useage on that tank, and in general use, only a couple of percent of the time do you need that octane.

A system where the main tank is regular, and an auxilliary high octane tank, and the fuel blended in the engine intake rather than the tank.

Guy at work is messing with a small E85 tank, with dedicated pump/injector with an aftermarket computer to put increasing E85 in with boost, and pull back the regular.

Some of the L67 guys down here are dual chipping their delcos for low and high (E85) tune.

Sounds awesome. Love the premise anyway.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
cp3, if you paid $5.75 without having to buy a 12L case that's a good deal.

I've always bought Toyota 0w20 4 liters at a time and always paid around $5.70 each. I buy it from Erin Park Toyota in Mississauga.

What about a 50/50 mix of M1 0w40 and AFE 0w30? Give me a nice solid 30 weight with a HTHS of 3.3+ for summer towing?

Originally Posted By: webfors
What about a 50/50 mix of M1 0w40 and AFE 0w30? Give me a nice solid 30 weight with a HTHS of 3.3+ for summer towing?

Yes that will give you a heavier 0W-30, with a 175 VI and higher AW additive and TBN levels.
But I would prefer using M1 AFE 0W-20 because of it's higher VI and to acheive the same HTHSV will require a higher percentage of M1 0W-40, about 60-65%. The net result will be a 180 VI 0W-30 with even more AW additives and TBN level.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

I was thinking about this once too, and I came across a company called Nelson Racing Engines. The cars and engines they put out are absolutely ridiculous.

Here's a video where they drive and explain one of their project cars. Its an old RX-7 with a twin turbo 427. It has two independent fuel systems, and switched too race gas under boost. Pretty sick.

Nelson Racing 1650HP RX-7

My Twin-Cam Europa has two gas tanks, one on each side of the car with two filler caps.
Although this was done for packaging purposes and to increase the fuel range of the car (early models only had the one tank), it provided all kinds of gas blending options and with little modification choosing to run gas from either tank or a remote blend of both. I didn't bother other than to run the drivers side tank empty at the track for car balance/weighting purposes.

Well, it's done. Took the car out and gassed it up before my Wife had to leave for work and it hasn't blown up yet!
lol.gif

I ended up at about 65%/35% Toyota/M1 for an approximate 205 VI with 2.9 HTHS, 10.2 100C and 48.8 40C. Meant to go for 60%/40% but got in a bit of a rush and messed it up. A touch thinner than M1 AFE but I think it will be fine. I was planning to go 60/40 in the summer and drop to 70/30 for the winter but we'll see. I'm still looking at gauges and she has given me the ok to put them in her car too as long as they don't look stupid. Anyway, first impressions are good, no odd noises or anything out of the ordinary. I would like say it seems to rev a little freeer but that is likely in my head. So initially, it's good and I'm happy!
smile.gif

I also took a sample of the Petro-Canada 0w30 that I will drop off early this week.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I will get some knock at large throttle openings at mid rev's in my Caterham on premium 91 octane gas. No problem on 93 octane and Sunoco (now Petro-Canada) 94 octane but that stuff is expensive. So I'm experimenting. Half and half produces no knock so I probabily only need a quarter tank of the high octane stuff to eliminate the knock.

Have you ever thought about switching coolant to Evans NPG? It should eliminate the detonation if it's due to localized boiling of the water-based coolant.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Did your car blow up?

Hey don't joke! I put it in the G6 and now I've had to do a bunch of suspension work!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
Oil change done: Toyota 0W20 (60 % ) and Mobil 0W40 (40 %)

Took a 5 lt old oil container mixed 3 qts Toy with 2 qts Mobil.

Nice. Does this car spec 30 or 20?

Picked up a few more bottles of M1 0w40 while it's on sale again this week.

The Hyundai car spec is 5W20 engine oil BUT Im sure Toyota 0W20 (60 % ) and Mobil 0W40 (40 %)mixture will be just fine.

Both Toyota 0W20 and M1 0W40 oils is made by XOM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back