Alum. - 4,
Si - 21, (was 19, need a new filter?)
Mag. - 177
Cal. - 2526
Phos. - 1008
Zinc - 1128
Moly - 69
Vis - 11.86,
TBN 6.75 (better than last time for sure).

M1 0W40+8 onces of SX-UP added at time of oil change. Tech2000/SuperTech oil filter. Puralator air filter. No make up oil added and the dipstick read full. Driveing is mostly trips 3-15 miles in length. I drive hard. I have been useing 1 bottle of Redline fuel additive every 3 months added to my 18 gallon tank.

I did not get the UOA report myself. I was emailed these results from Molakule very promptly upon asking for them. It was his pre-paid sample I used so the results went to him. OAI was the lab doing the testing.The car had between 30,000 and 40,000 miles on it at the time the sample was taken(without the UOA report I can not recall the milage). The sample had 9,500-10,000 miles on it and had been in 7 months(winter oil). It was too cold for me to lie on cold concrete and change it at the time. It looks like I need to change my air filter. The sample was sent in about 3 months ago but I just got the results today. I kind of forgott about it. I will have to get a new airfilter ASAP! Here in Michigan we have problems with rodents chewing into filters to make nests when it is cold out. My mothers Tundra had a hole chewed into her airfilter.

If you look at my previous UOA useing M1R 0W30 LC and SX-UP this one looks much better. This sample had 1 more month and 3 times the miles on it. I know I changed too many variables. I really need to buy some SX-UP and use only one oil to do a fair comparison.

John,

The analysis looks good but the Viscosity of the oil dropped,
was this the result of the SX-UP?

Did you get a fuel dilution with your analysis?

Lead was Zero. I do not know Molakule typed the information I posted and only that. I cut and pasted 100% the information he sent me via private message system. So fuel dilution could be an issue but I do not know. Rember though that this is M1 0W40 wich is thin 40Wt. to start with and is known to shear to a 30Wt. in most applications. The SX-UP would not thin this out at all. I belive SX-UP is thicker then M1 0W40 and the base stock is comprised of 4 different ester's. If you look in the VOA section SX-UP states are listed for comparison.

I think that the TBN must be a direct reflection of the 8 onces of SX-UP. To have that much TBN left after 7 months of hard fall and winter weather, mostly short trips and 10,000 miles is excellent.

I am a little bit disapointed with this UOA. I was hopeing that all of my wear numbers would be single digit. I think that M1 0W40 though with SX-UP did a decent job though of protecting the valve train. Valve train wear is the main concern most people have with M1 0W40. Seeing how this car has gear driven parts, a timeing chain,vlave buckets instead of shims and cam followers I think the valvetrain wear is good.

I went through various near 9k mileage UOA on the front page at random. There are none better in wear numbers ....not even Honda.

That is, if this brings you disapointment, get used to it. You appear to be on the right side of the distribution curve and in the upper, favored, percentile.
smile.gif

If you want all the numbers to be single digit, do 8500 miles next time.
dunno.gif
grin.gif

Gary Allan, maybe disapointment is the wrong word. I had been predicting single digit numbers based on the oil and additives combo and previous UOA. So I am not really disapointed I was just suprised that I was off by so much. I was thinking that Iron would be not higher then 9ppm, I had not predicted any copper or cromium and had figured on lead being around 5ppm. So I am happy with the UOA it just was not at all what I expected to see at all. I also did not expect to see the M1 0W40 thin as much as it did. I also thought that I would see more uptake of the additives. SO let me rephrase my initial coment from disapointment to suprise. I also never thought the TBN would be so high I figured it would be around 1-2 not 6.75!! SO I was just wrong all the way around.

[ June 17, 2006, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

TBN did do well. Now I finally have a definitive UOA to point to when someone challenges my assertion that M1 0w-40 is weak kneed in its thinning ..for no darn good reason.

Well, I wish I could be that wrong and get it so right.
smile.gif

Wear numbers look very good, but the stuff sheared like crazy. Of course this engine runs fine on 30wt oils, so no harm done here. Still a 0w-40 is not the best choice for a high performance application, due to this shearing behavior.

As a side note, I've been running the Amsoil 0w-40 for the past 9000+ miles in my Audi TT. I'll be testing it soon and I'm sure it's sheared as well. It's my assertion that NOBODY can make a shear stable 0w-40 oil....

You could make one more shear stable than Mobil's though. As you know, M1 0w-40 is designed to shear about to increase fuel efficiency. I'm sure a more shear stable 0w-40 could be made. Maybe one built like Redline. ??

buster, I agree that a more shear stable 0W40 should not be that hard to do! I would imagine that useing base stocks more in line with Redlines and useing premium viscosity improvers like the ones used on German Castrol would get it done. I do not think that anyone really cares that their 0W40 oils shear so much. I think itis one of those things. We care but I doubt that the companies that put the products out really care.

I sure hope I can continue to improve on this UOA!!! It is going to be a hard act to follow. I am changeing my additive and soon my oil as well. I have enough M1 0W40 for one more winter OCI and after that I have a lot of RTS 5W40 to use up.

I bought 3 3 quart jugs of Power Service Diesel Oil Extender for on clearance at Walmart for $7 so I could not pass it up. I am completly happy with SX-UP and cost really was not an issue either. It was my first impulse oil purchase!!! I plan to continue useing SX-UP becasue I know it is a much better product.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

It's my assertion that NOBODY can make a shear stable 0w-40 oil....

If it's a borderline 40wt they probably can. Just look at how stable GC is, and it's only a hair away from being a 0w40. So if they were to just make it 12.5cst instead of 12.2, they could call it a 0w40.

Castrol's 0w40 Formula R is 12.9 cst, I wonder how stable that oil is? I wonder how it's chemistry compares to GC? I've always thought that perhaps it's the same as GC 0w30 but with a touch of VII in it.

Esso made a 0w-40 that had a HT/HS of 4.1. I don't think they make it anymore. Redline's Esters do help with shearing, which is why they use so much of them. The Amsoil 0w-40 has a HT/HS of 3.9. As Patman said, one could do it by making it lower viscosity at the high end. It's simply not a priority to have an oil with that type of HT/HS with fuel economy being the big issue these days. I think Tooslick is just trying to set up for his Amsoil 0w-40 UOA.
wink.gif

04SpecV, I do have a 5 quart jug of M1 TSUV 5W30. THe UOA though that I saw on it looked rather under-welming(sp). It had a rather lack luster additive package and basicly looked just like regular M1 5W30. I would rather have the additive package in the M1 0W40 in my car. I did not know that TSUV had been changed from 5W40 to 5W30 or I would never have bought it!!! It was a mistake on my part. I was in a hurry to get out of W-Mart and just saw TSUV and grabed it and checked out.

I have 1 5quart jug of 5W30 TSUV, 4 quarts of M1 0W40, 3 1 gallon jugs of RTS 5W40 and a case of Walmart brand 10W30. I am not a fan of low additive oil and would probably never run an oil devoid of additves other then Redline or a like product. I am very anti-API! I might be inclined to try the TSUV 5W30 this winter instead of the 0W40 but I would still add some additve to get the calcium,ZDDP,and Phos. up to acceptable levels.

Pete, I have the 2.4 I4 2AZ-FE engine. I always try to run the lowest octane I can with no ping or detonation! SO far I have not had to run anything higher then regular unleaded. Even when it hits 96°F outside. My Dad use's regular in his 2.7 I4 Tacoma. Mom is another story. SHe always runs mid-grade or premium. Traditionaly he always drove sports car and when we lived down south she always had to run premium to prevent pinging. So even though Dad and I have told here she does not need premium in her Tundra V8 she still runs it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back