How long will it last? (05 Accord)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 4 cyl Accord with manual transmission. The car now has ~ 164,000 K Miles on it, and I am pretty amazed with how little out of the ordinary maintenance has been required.

Other than regular oil and filter changes, I have replaced spark plugs once, brake pads in the front 3 times, rotors once, brake shoes in the back once, drums still original.

on 3rd set of tires

2 batteries.

A few air filters, cabin air filter and a few light bulbs - thats it basically.

Suspension is firm as when it was new and so is the steering. Tranny shifts smoother than ever.

water pump, alternator, starter, radiator, fuel pump, injectors, power steering, aircon compressor, various pullies, joints, bearings, etc, etc - all original.

How long do these things last on these Honda's??

My Astro van - as much as like the thing, seems to need something just about all the time, and it started long before it reached the stage the Accord is at now, so I am impressed to say the least.

ps. forgot to mention that is does have a significant amount of the dreaded Honda piston slap - which started a long time ago, but oil consumption is very manageable at about a qt per 5,5 K Miles.

Last edited:
You can expect some minor problems like a wheel bearing,water pump ect. in your near future, no big deal. Cheaper than a new car. Don't get sucked into the the new car matrix. I say run it until the doors fall off. you'll be money ahead.

Man that vehicle will probably rust out before the engine gives. I am still kicking myself for trading in my '07 Accord VP, I traded it in for a 2011 Accord and I was so disappointed with the new Accord. I ended up getting rid of it shortly after for my Sonata.

I would change the belts.

Our '97 Accord was built fifteen years ago, in January 1997.
It now has 201K.
It has required about $2K total in maintenance and repair expense in the nine years and 137K that we've owned it.
This includes two sets of tires, a battery and starter, one timing belt/water pump replacement (your car has a timing chain) and a clutch.
I'd say that your '05 should have a good long way to go before it can be considered toast.

Id go for a 1994 or 2003 coupe (first year of curvy.)

They really look ugly now.

How did the 07 look?

Btw.. good car. True or false that EX with manual 4-cyl is "sporty" one?

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Man that vehicle will probably rust out before the engine gives. I am still kicking myself for trading in my '07 Accord VP, I traded it in for a 2011 Accord and I was so disappointed with the new Accord. I ended up getting rid of it shortly after for my Sonata.

I would change the belts.

I owned a 6th Gen. v6 Accord Coupe. That said I wish I would have bought an'06 Accord Sedan. I really like the 7th gen the most out of all. Good power, size, efficiency etc. The transmission in mine was [censored], but that thing always started!

Thanks for some encouraging feedback.

Yes, the manual this car much more fun to drive than it looks. Steering feel is excellent too. Only the brakes are a bit of a let down.

Fuel economy is excellent.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, and the car is garaged, which most likely means the body will last forever - there is hardly a speck of rust on it.

There are some electrical gremlins that I forgot to mention - power locks on both front doors have stopped working, and the stereo recently quit too - and that part bothers me, no radio is no fun.

Originally Posted By: sr17
Thanks for some encouraging feedback.

Yes, the manual this car much more fun to drive than it looks. Steering feel is excellent too. Only the brakes are a bit of a let down.

Fuel economy is excellent.

I'm in Vancouver, BC, and the car is garaged, which most likely means the body will last forever - there is hardly a speck of rust on it.

There are some electrical gremlins that I forgot to mention - power locks on both front doors have stopped working, and the stereo recently quit too - and that part bothers me, no radio is no fun.

The door lock's may not be an electrical issue, it's likely the lock actuator at fault.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back