Optima batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.
My minivan will require a new battery pretty soon and I was considering an Optima battery.

Are those batteries worth the extra money?Are you satisfied with the performance and lifespan of the brand?

Would you recommend the purchase?

We had one in our Jeep. It lasted like, a year and a half. Replaced it with a DieHard Platinum (Enersys) battery. Those are by far the best batteries sold, imho, if you are lucky enough to have a battery size where one is available.

I use one in my Corvette, as my car's computer is located directly under the battery. AGM (acid glass mat) batteries will not leak acid.

You must keep them charged or they will go bad. If a daily driver, no problem. If car sits for 3 or more days regularity, then use a battery tender.

Really, with other cheaper batteries, I would not (and do not) use an Optima in any of my other cars.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
They cost twice as much but do not last twice as long. No I was not satisfied.

Personally I would purchase a quality conventional battery.

x2. Optimas actually used to be a good battery a few years ago. They have since switched manufacturing (says made in Mexico now) and the quality has gone down hill. I know a guy who has 7 years on his Optima. My yellow top had to be replaced (luckily under warranty) after 1 year, and I take care of my batteries. Go with a good conventional battery and you should be good to go.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nick R
We had one in our Jeep. It lasted like, a year and a half. Replaced it with a DieHard Platinum (Enersys) battery. Those are by far the best batteries sold, imho, if you are lucky enough to have a battery size where one is available.

I should probably avoid the Optima and go for a Diehard.
Thanks,you just prevented me from making a bad decision.
thumbsup2.gif

the diehard top of the line is absorbed glass mat (AGM) same as optima.

the autozone platinum is also an AGM and the price isn't bad, but the warranty is weird... 3 yr full replacement but no pro-rate after that.

Personally, if you can get something to fit, my best battery experience ever was to shoehorn a combo deep-cycle/starter battery (for RV or marine use) into a dodge van. Plenty of CCA and unbelievable storage capacity.

IF I went with optima, I'd go for the yellow top if the cca was adequate, but it'd need to have a very good warranty. they ain't what they used to be.

BTW- IIRC they were originally a joint venture with odyssey back during development.

OR..... check advanced auto online right now. they are having a 15% off sale on batteries with an addition coupon gained if you buy. online only. i bought a batt last night and they couldn't give me the deal in-store since it's not an AA, but a manufacturer-based discount.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: meep
the diehard top of the line is absorbed glass mat (AGM) same as optima.

the autozone platinum is also an AGM and the price isn't bad, but the warranty is weird... 3 yr full replacement but no pro-rate after that.

Personally, if you can get something to fit, my best battery experience ever was to shoehorn a combo deep-cycle/starter battery (for RV or marine use) into a dodge van. Plenty of CCA and unbelievable storage capacity.

IF I went with optima, I'd go for the yellow top if the cca was adequate, but it'd need to have a very good warranty. they ain't what they used to be.

BTW- IIRC they were originally a joint venture with odyssey back during development.

OR..... check advanced auto online right now. they are having a 15% off sale on batteries with an addition coupon gained if you buy. online only. i bought a batt last night and they couldn't give me the deal in-store since it's not an AA, but a manufacturer-based discount.

I don't it's AGM that is the problem, just Optima's questionable manufacturing and quality.

Even my interstate guy at work said he doesn't recommend them. Like others have stated it seems like the quality has gone south.

I believe optima is actually a rolled cell that uses a gel (PbSO4/H2SO4/SiO2) electrolyte.

AGM sponge designs with standard plates are different.

I'd personally get a regular plate style AGM (VRLA) and be done with it.

Die Hard Pt is one type but $$$. Deka may be cheaper.

We gave Optimas a good try years ago when their quality was allegedly good.

No fans here, they really stunk IMO.

Buy a quality battery. We choose by warranty. Longest not pro rated wins.

Originally Posted By: TaterandNoodles
They cost twice as much but do not last twice as long. No I was not satisfied.

Personally I would purchase a quality conventional battery.

The reviews on Optimas are very mixed. Some have nothing but problems, some have nothing but success.

I don't understand what makes their batteries any better than the other AGM batteries out on the market these days.

The best experience I have had w an aftermarket battery has been a tie between Odyssey and Braille. Ruling out Braille due to high cost, Odyssey take the cake.
I have one in my 328, have had it since '08 and it is still at 98% efficiency as new. Literally less than half the dimensions of my OEM battery, a total weight of 21lbs, and 775CCA... My car has never died from lack of battery power despite a 33% underdrive pulley on the alternator (although it is an upgraded unit to compensate) and a not insignificant power increase to the sound system (Pioneer AVIC 7" double din headunit w 2x wired aux inputs, a combination of BSW Carbon Kevlar speakers, Focal speakers, and a JL Super Slim 10" Sub in custom 6"x16"x13" CF enclosure powered by a pair of small, light, but powerful 1000W amps).

The battery cost me about $400 four years ago, but it was worth every penny. I love dry cell units, and the combo of high power and low weight had me sold. It should easily last another decade.

The Die Hard Platinums ARE an Odyssey with a different color case (hence the high $$$).
But Sears only sells the OEM sizes, NOT the smaller/lighter racing series.
frown.gif

They are BOTH made by EnerSys.
wink.gif

I've owned four Optima batteries. Two 34R, one D51R, and one 25. All purchased from Remy Battery.

Every one lasted long enough that they were sold with the vehicle they were installed in. I won't think twice about installing one in my truck when the current battery goes south.

Didnt know that about the Odyssey batteries being essentially identical to.DieHard Platinum...

I would then say it is likely a very good battery as.well!

I have been thinking about buying another Braille, as I sold the last one (14lbs but only 422CA and 20 amp-hrs) I had.
I have been thinking hard about getting one of their new ones with the carbon fiber body, or possibly even a Lithium battery which are ridiculously light yet put out serious amperage.
It would be strictly for track use, as the Lithium batteries don't have the incredibly long life of Dry Cells, but an 8lb battery pushing 900CCA? Heck yeah! Hard to justify the $2k price tag though.
I can afford the 15lb Carbon Fiber DryCell battery though, and 475CCA is plenty for the track, especially if I unplug my amps, which I do anyway!

Hmm...

Originally Posted By: nleksan
It would be strictly for track use, as the Lithium batteries don't have the incredibly long life of Dry Cells, but an 8lb battery pushing 900CCA? Heck yeah! Hard to justify the $2k price tag though.

And that's not even including the requisite specialized charger!!
crazy2.gif

But yeah, if I had unlimited funds, and was looking to drop the weight (especially if I were keeping the battery up front, in the engine compartment) on an already too heavy ride (like a 'Stang GT 500/Camaro ZL-1), it would be the FIRST thing I would do (along with the Sparco Super-Lightweight carbon/kevlar/composite shells and alloy mounting brackets)!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back