toyota corolla 98-02 oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone I'm sure its been talked about before, that is corolla oil consumption. Ive done my research and know the problem comes from the piston oil return holes plugging up with sludge. Toyota says its a maintenance issue, so no recall. The thing is if you treat these years of corolla's like you've always treated toyota's, there going to use oil! My question for the oil experts, could a high detergent oil like rotella diesel oil over time help or fix this problem. I just wanted to through this out for discussion. I'm new here so I hope this thread is of interest to everyone Thanks!

I posted my experience about it here:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2489977&page=1

I suspect good synthetic oils or HDEO with prudent OCI would prevent the issue.

Keep in mind that Toyota specified 7500 miles OCI for those years. I did under 5000 miles OCI and still got consumption.

This is interesting how Toyota made the same mistake as GM did with Saturn. You would think they should have known better.

Why not just run PYB and shorter oil change intervals for a spell? I bet if you used a long-life filter you could change the filter every other time. It would be not hard to do and it would not cost all that much.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2489977&page=1

Keep in mind that Toyota specified 7500 miles OCI for those years. I did under 5000 miles OCI and still got consumption.
thanks for the link read all 3 pages you didn't say if any of it worked for you. also the piston soak whats the procedure for that and how effective is it.
This is interesting how Toyota made the same mistake as GM did with Saturn. You would think they should have known better. Thanks

Last edited:
I have a '99 purchased new that doesn't use any. I am going to get massacred on this board for admitting this, but it's had 2K OCIs since new. The first 1/2 of its life were Valvoline conventional 5W-30 + an orange can o' death ($8 per change), then a brief period with Shell 5W-30 (still $8), followed by four years of Syn-Power (no longer $8).

It has 131K on it now and shows no signs that it won't go another 130.

It is harder on motor oil than any other car I've owned.

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Why not just run PYB and shorter oil change intervals for a spell? I bet if you used a long-life filter you could change the filter every other time. It would be not hard to do and it would not cost all that much.

pyb?

Originally Posted By: silver1

pyb?

pyb?

Good oil, but I would not expect a lot of cleaning. I have a 99 SL2 Saturn. I seem to use a little less during OCI with PYB, but that may just be the nature of the oil. I use about 1 quart oil per 1,000 miles. I have used Rotella 10w-30 during the summer. PAO oil (Mobil 1 variety). One piston soak. Three Auto-RX treatments. MMO in the crankcase many times. Dexron 3 in the crankcase last winter. Oil consumption is a little better than it used to be. Many of the things mentioned are slow cleaners. Kreen interests me, but is expensive. You may need something with more cleaning ability for more immediate results. I think I will do a piston soak followed by Rotella 15w-40 with a bottle of MMO next OCI. This will be for the cars 200,000 mile anniversary...

Hiya! Been there, done that! Had success freeing the holes! Or so I think! the consumption is only a 1/2 quart every 3k now, was 1 qt every 1500. Here's what I did:

Mobil 1 high mileage 5w30 for 4k to soften things up.

at 4k add 1/2qt Kreen in the sump. run for another 1k.

use the balance of the Kreen +-1/2 qt as a piston soak at the 5k mark.

Dump the oil, add the M1 HM again, monitor whether another Kreen sump/piston soak is needed. I needed two runs and its fine now!

This is interesting how Toyota made the same mistake as GM did with Saturn. You would think they should have known better.
could switching to hdeo & toping off with it slow it down once its started?

pyb?

Pennzoil Yellow Bottle (conventional)...it's a BITOGism...

Doubt it, because the cause is the oil not returning from the head (I think...not piston holes, but cylinder head return...right?) and a heavier/higher Viscosity oil is going to return just as slowly and sit there just as long by the valve guides that are sucking it in...

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Doubt it, because the cause is the oil not returning from the head (I think...not piston holes, but cylinder head return...right?) and a heavier/higher Viscosity oil is going to return just as slowly and sit there just as long by the valve guides that are sucking it in...

Actually the conclusion on the toyota forms is that there are only 2 oil return holes in the pistons, and they are too small and they tend to plug up especially if you use cheap dino oil, toyota's original oci's were 7.5k way too long . That's another factor. Its a design flaw IMO. The 98-02 corolla / prizm should have been recalled! some people have had luck with Mobile 1 high mile 5W30 I Am trying that now !

Last edited:
Does this problem carry over to later years like '04? I've got 165K on it, 10k oil changes with Amsoil or Mob1. No significant oil usage...maybe a pint or less.

"Actually the conclusion on the toyota forms is that there are only 2 oil return holes in the pistons, and they are too small and they tend to plug up"

I guess I am struggling with what a Piston return hole does...where exactly would this be located and how would it support oil flow? Oil will leak out of the wrist pin - and splash back into the pan from there....just what is a Piston return hole and why would there be only 2 in the motor, wouldn't there be one on each piston???

Are you certain that we're not talking about the oil return holes in the head itself???

Don't think this issue is a problem in later years - my '06 doesn't use a bit...well...OK, maybe a bit...0.5 QT between the 5,000 miles changes...but zero sludge, zero oil issues in that engine with the more frequent OCI...

Last edited:
Ah...now I see...in that TSB, the problem was oil degradation causing sticking oil control rings. And there are oil return holes behind the oil control rings (new idea to me). Oil return holes get carbon'd up from poor oil and the rings stick...the fix is new pistons with more holes (8 vs. 4) and 1/2 qt. more oil in the sump to keep the oil temp down...

So, in the OP's case, a synthetic with good cleaning ability might help remove/reduce some of the carbon/gunk causing sticking oil control rings....

Originally Posted By: tc1446
Does this problem carry over to later years like '04? I've got 165K on it, 10k oil changes with Amsoil or Mob1. No significant oil usage...maybe a pint or less.

not to my knowledge 98-02 only as far as I know. I Am sure some of the other years have there own problems! lol

have a 99 with 172k mi, owned from 130k. dont know any maintenance history from the previous owners. usually uses >1qt per 1,000 with any synthetic 5w-30. switched to rotella t6 5w-40 at 170k and it more than cut my oil consumption in half. i would attribute that to the increase in thickness. i dont think it has "unsludged" my engine in 2k mi but time will tell. do not top off either, let it consume at least 1/2 - 3/4 qt before refill, that helps too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back