Euro spec oils vs North American

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: dbrowne1
They are not closely related. One is a mid-SAPS ACEA A3/B3, VW 502.00, BMW LL01, etc. oil, while the other is a low-SAPS that meets a whole different set of specs (ACEA C3, VW 504/507, LL04, etc.). They are very different oils.

PUE 5w-40 is actually a full/high-SAPs oil, just like M1 0w-40 or GC.

Then I'm even more right than I thought.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: RollerRocker
RollerRocker said:
There is a Pennzoil Ultra Euro L 5W-30 that meets 504/507, but I have never actually seen it and don't even know of a place to buy it in the U.S.

A Jiffy Lube in Colorado claims to have Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-30, meeting VW 504/507, although not everybody carries it. Also, Amazon.com is easy, or any store like Autozone or Pep Boys can special order from their pennzoil rep.

Have you actually tried to do any of those things? Did you check Amazon to see if it's actually available (hint: it's not)?

Hint: I did call Jiffy Lube hours ago, and they do have Pennzoil Euro Ultra 5w-30 for VW/Audi/Porsche customer who need a 504/507 oil. And any good store can get Pennzoil products.

And any good store can get Pennzoil products.

Uh huh. Call them and see if it even shows up in their computers.

Back when the Ultra 5W-40 first came out, many people thought it would be as simple as having a local auto parts chain store order it from a Pennzoil distributor. They were wrong.

Last edited:
wrong. Its been reported that Ferrari uses Pennzoil as factory fill, exactly what i said.

You do realize that PUE 5w-40 and Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 are the exact same oil, just in a different bottle.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1798044#Post1798044

By the way, Johnny is a retired SOPUS employee with access to insider information.

So you just proved me right. PUE 5w-40 is the stuff that goes into Ferrari at the factory, yes, in Italy. GEeeeez,

Hint: I did call Jiffy Lube hours ago, and they do have Pennzoil Euro Ultra 5w-30 for VW/Audi/Porsche customer who need a 504/507 oil.

Does it come in a 55-gal drum or something more convenient that one can carry home? I'm sorry but I just don't trust JL's oil changing skills, especially when it comes to modern German cars. JL grease monkeys seem easily baffled by things like underside engine covers...

So you just proved me right. PUE 5w-40 is the stuff that goes into Ferrari at the factory, yes, in Italy. GEeeeez,

So what exactly was I wrong about?
lol.gif

And any good store can get Pennzoil products.

Uh huh. Call them and see if it even shows up in their computers.

Back when the Ultra 5W-40 first came out, many people thought it would be as simple as having a local auto parts chain store order it from a Pennzoil distributor. They were wrong.

My Autozone store manager said they can get any of the Pzl Ultra Euro L 5w-30 or 5w-40 from Dooley Oil in Colorado whenever a european car fanatic bugs the [censored] out of them and wants it. My point is, any good store manager knows how to get stuff

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: felixthecat
If one person can do one push up and another person 10, then yes, the person that can do 10 pushups is likely closest to meeting Olympic specs (assuming that more pushups is good).

Maybe we should tell Ferrari to use VW 504/507 oils.
I realize VW 502 specs have a norrow scope, but it does not change the fact that it is the VW spec that is "more like" Ferrari,BMW LL01 and MB 229.5 specs.

Let me try again.

Ferrari has their own oil spec. One of the oils that meets that spec also happens to meet VW 502. That doesn't mean the specs are related.

Here's another analogy: Imagine a cop who also likes knitting. Would that mean knitting is like being a police officer?

You do of course realize that I know that Ferrari has their own oil specs!
All I said is that it is "more like" VW 502 than any other spec that VW uses.
And honestly you are just beeing argumentative, as my original response was to the statement that
Ferrari uses a VW 504/507 oil.

By the way , I am not a child so please stop using analogies

Last edited:
and Helio Castroneves uses it in his indycar race cars off-the-shelf.

Also, what does this have to do with our daily drivers? Does Helio's engine need to last 100-200K miles and 10 years? Does Helio care if his race engine (if it's DI) has deposit buildup issues after 10-15K miles?

You are completely missing the point with Castroneves's Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 oil he uses in his race cars (in fact for 2 other race drivers as well). The main point is that here an oil that 1. meets Ferrari specs, 2. meets VW 504/507, and 3. is tough enough to race in an indycar, all those facts taken together. And , no, i wouldn't use a race oil that didn't ALSO meet standard high specs.

You are completely missing the point with Castroneves's Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 oil he uses in his race cars (in fact for 2 other race drivers as well). The main point is that here an oil that 1. meets Ferrari specs, 2. meets VW 504/507, and 3. is tough enough to race in an indycar, all those facts taken together. And , no, i wouldn't use a race oil that didn't ALSO meet standard high specs.

1. Once again, Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 does not meet VW 504/507 spec. Didn't we already establish this?

2. My point was that if you're concerned about DI valve deposit issues in the long run, then you may be better served by an oil that is mid-low SAPs and actually meets VW 504/507 specs. Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 does not. And Castroneves does not care whether his engine will have some valve deposits in the long run because I'm pretty sure his engines get rebuilt rather frequently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back