Amsoil 5W-30 HDD, 25K miles, 2003 Cavalier 2.2L

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Michael Wan:
The low TBN and higher viscosity is evidence of little or no make-up oil, as this is a similar run in a 6-cyl engine with 1 qt of make-up oil, and this is with the lesser ASL 5w30:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=001038

That's with a new tight engine, 7 quart sump, a filter change, and a quart of make-up oil. And, it's one of those "this is a client's truck". Alterior motives?

I'm not looking for bragging rights. I simply wanted to share an analysis of a product that has served me well. I am not particularly interested in trying 25K runs on another oil. I was anxious to receive this report since it was a very long interval, with a small sump and no makeup oil. I have done extended drains with diesel engines, but they have much larger sumps. I thought this report would be of interest since it was definitely a torture test of the product involved.

dunno.gif

Question for you: Wouldn't a 6-cyl engine produce more contamination to the oil than a 4-cyl engine...hence more thickening from the contamination?

So, if the person did do a filter change/top-off in this engine mid-way, it'd still drop the viscosity and bump up the TBN?

I have the same engine as Riflesmith has - with a different car (Pontiac Sunfire 2004). Engine: 2.2L Ecotec Dohc 140 hp. I'll confirm - I've never had this engine use oil. Currently @ 33,800 miles.

I have 30+ quarts of GC Gold and 7 quarts of GC Green. & I might be willing to go to 25k to get a comparison to this UOA. Don't know if I trust GC as much as Amsoil tho - no warranty for 25k
grin.gif

I drive maybe 2k a month though so 25k would take forever!!! Only 2,000 miles on my current fill of GC Gold.
tongue.gif
Was planning on taking it out at 6k for a UOA...

Gee TooSlick, with that Fe 64, I would've of thought you'd be worried he was wearing out his timing chain. Oopps, it's not M1, doesn't count.
wink.gif

These are exceptionally good results, given the # of miles, however the thickening towards the end of the service interval is going to reduce fuel efficiency by a few percent. In addition, the engine will stay that much cleaner if you change out while the TBN is still up in the 3-4 range. The high oxidation and nitration are the primary reason for the thickening in this case, rather than oil evaporation.

I've had similar results with this formulation in a four cylinder Toyota after 21k miles, with only about a quart of total oil consumption. The Series 3000 is about the most durable oil I've seen for gas engines, even though it's marketed as a fuel efficient HD diesel oil. I think it's better than the Amsoil 0w-30 in almost every way except extremely cold weather applications.

I'd recommend cutting back to a 20k service interval and you'll see even better results, particularly with regards to bearing wear.

This is an ideal case for long drains, ie a non-turbocharged, fuel efficient, four cylinder engine. Very difficult to duplicate this with a V-8 that gets 15-20 mpg and only has a 5-6 qt sump....

Originally Posted By: Ray H
Look at all the phosphorus and zinc in that oil!

Awesome isn't it? HDD is a great oil...

HDD is a very impressive oil, that can be used in almost all applications - thin enough to work well in 5W-30/5W-20 applications; thick/stout enough to be used in all diesel applications, and will easily do exteneded drains in everything.

Originally Posted By: 427Z06
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/hdd.aspx
Product specs:
11.7 @ 100°C, cSt (ASTM D-445)
%6.7 Noack, %weight loss(g/100g)(ASTM D-5800)

Tset results:
Fuel Visc 15.51 cSt
Water 0
Soot N/A
Coolant No
TBN 1.9
Ox 48
Nitr 66

and ZERO oil used?

Something doesn't look right to me.

[ March 11, 2006, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

I'm seeing 7.6 NOACK from your link, not 6.7

Anyhow, this is my alltime favorite Amsoil oil. Friggen awesome stuff and built like a beep brickhouse! Perfect specs!

p.s. I would love to see the TAN of this oil. If you can, try to get that next time. I'm sure it's quite high!

my mom has a 2001 Cavalier with over 300k miles on it. it still runs good and she has used Dino oil the hold time. she's not good with maintenance and it still is kicking. she does 5k,10k, and 15k oil changes on Dino. basically when ever she remembers to change it. Chevy made a winner with that engine

25k OCI' with the same filter? You do realize that it has probably been in bypass for thousands of miles, don't you?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Winston
How is that level of Phosphorus and Zinc going to hurt the cat with zero oil consumption?

That is an Excellent question dear sir.

try a Ea15k03 filter. of corse even that filter is only recommended for 15,000 miles so, it would have to be replaced twice. how long did it take to go 25,000 miles?

Originally Posted By: KJack
my mom has a 2001 Cavalier with over 300k miles on it. it still runs good and she has used Dino oil the hold time. she's not good with maintenance and it still is kicking. she does 5k,10k, and 15k oil changes on Dino. basically when ever she remembers to change it. Chevy made a winner with that engine

I did the EXACT same thing with a 2002 Cavalier, only I got 162k out of mine before trading it.

I've posted A 21K UOA on conventional for it......

This UOA is awesome, possibly my favourite one on this site.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
25k OCI' with the same filter? You do realize that it has probably been in bypass for thousands of miles, don't you?

Purely speculation, and almost impossible to prove.

I've done 30,000 miles on an FL-1A (3x OCI's @ 10K) and it wasn't plugged at all.

Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: johnachak

Purely speculation, and almost impossible to prove.

I've done 30,000 miles on an FL-1A (3x OCI's @ 10K) and it wasn't plugged at all.
How could you tell?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back