INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 385

SUS VIS 210ºF 49.1

cSt @ 212ºF 6.99

Fuel % trace

Antifreeze 0.0

TBN 2.6

This was my first UOA for my 2010 Prius. A little background on my car, commute, driving, etc

I got the car in March 2010. I have a 70 mile commute (roundtrip) which is about 80% highway. There is usually about 2-3 miles (each way) where I'm in slow and go traffic. I try to keep my top highway speed at 60 mph or less (scangauge shows RPM's around 1200 +/- 100 depending on speed and wind (assuming fairly level road)).

The car has had a total of 4 oil changes, per Toyota specs. This is the oil that was removed between 30k and 40k. On this particular oil sample, the car was driven from my house to the shop. About 8 minutes over surface streets. It likely waited in their parking lot for about 30 minutes prior to being brought into the garage for its oil change. Thus the engine oil was not fully warmed up, nor was it cold.

I'm not intending on stretching the oil interval past 10k miles. Question is, should I be changing more often? I've driven my last two cars for about 11 years and 200,000 miles each, so I am interested in the long term health of my engine.

Lifetime MPG (calculated) = 59.4 (woot!)

Looks pretty good to me
Originally Posted By: Codyroo

Lifetime MPG (calculated) = 59.4 (woot!)

I wish my car could get half of that

I think it looks great for 10k and being the 4th oil change. I see no reason to lower the OCI. Some metals could still be from break in and are washing out with each OC.

UOA looks good (TBN 2.6 and no shearing) and if the OCI is within Toyota specifications, I would say "keep on...keeping on".

I do 10K with this oil and my engines are clean as new. Your metal numbers are fine, TBN still OK, fuel and coolant are good, as is the FF. 10K OCI is no problem and 200K and beyond won't be a be a problem as well. My last run on the Fusion was nearly 11K as I was on a trip. The oil appeared to still have plenty of reserve left.
welcome2.gif

Last edited:
You drive a little more than 20k miles a year, either keep the OCI(Oil Change Interval) at 10k miles or 6 months. I prefer doing 6 months interval for easy to remember.

Looking good! Maybe that electric motor helps out quite a bit with the in town driving and the RPMs being kept low. That is a SWEET mpg average. I think I am going to the Toyota dealer after dinner.

All looks well but the oil DID shear. If this was Mobil 1 SN 0w20 100C KV spec is 8.7cST ......reported 100KV cST is 6.99....thats about 20%. Twenty percent for this kind of operation seems to be a lot with just a trace of fuel.

Of course this "reserve" is based on an UOA right ? Or just by
looking at it. Only way to know is to do a UOA....which you don't do.

Originally Posted By: CMMeadAM
Of course this "reserve" is based on an UOA right ? Or just by
looking at it. Only way to know is to do a UOA....which you don't do.

The oil appeared fine. Dark amber colar. Oil filter was very clean and I did the "One Drop Test" and the sample was very good.
http://www.acustrip.com/specs/onedrop.html

Last edited:
Tig...I'm just "nudging" you.....but you know.....a one drop test doesn't really mean squat.....only a UOA will really tell you what "reserve" you might have left.

I realize that, but with the long history I have with running 10K OCIs I am very comfortable not doing UOAs.

All looks well but the oil DID shear. If this was Mobil 1 SN 0w20 100C KV spec is 8.7cST ......reported 100KV cST is 6.99....thats about 20%. Twenty percent for this kind of operation seems to be a lot with just a trace of fuel.

Exactly, and as I posted over on Priuschat, this proves again that Blackstones method of testing for fuel dilution does not accurately measure the true amount of fuel in the oil.

Dyson Analysis' lab uses the closed cup testing which will give a far more accurate indicator of the amount of fuel in there.

I guess I misread the chart; it showed 5.60-9.29 as the range.

Well, "something" caused the shear and it is possible the Blackstone could have misread the fuel. If it was my test, I'd ask for it to be redone.

That said, whenever we have seen excessive shear, it has most always been accompanied by higher than normal fuel dilution.
And in the dozens of UOA's done by Blackstone for us, they
have not missed on that reading. We have in fact send oil from the same sample to different labs just to get an accuracy comparison, and the tests have always come back very, very close. Any differences were not meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back