Valvoline MaxLife 5w-30 ~ 4874 mi ~ '00 Bonneville

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi
Series II 3800 supercharged engine
Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30 (regular MaxLife in red bottle, not NextGen)
Same brand oil was used in run prior to this one
4,874 miles on oil sample (oil was in use for almost 4 months)
170,218 miles in engine
Forgot to check the OLM for %
UOA was done at Blackstone Labs
Added 1 qt make up oil, 431 miles into run (4443 miles in run after top-off)
Driving is around 70% hwy / 30% city
Driving style is gentle-to-moderate

This was my first-ever UOA. I wanted to see how my hi-mileage engine is doing, and if I should replace my LIM gaskets. I do not think they are original, but I do not know how old they are. I bought the car in Dec 2010 at 152K miles and have been keeping maintenance up to date. Any feedback is appreciated.

Code:

OIL ML5w30 Univ Avg

MILES IN USE 4874 4600

MILES 170,218

SAMPLE TAKEN 12/17/11

ALUMINUM 4 3

CHROMIUM 1 1

IRON 10 13

COPPER 13 16

LEAD 4 7

TIN 0 1

MOLYBDENUM 144 65

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 1

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 0 0

POTASSIUM 3 7

BORON 5 46

SILICON 24 11

SODIUM 348 38

CALCIUM 2060 2102

MAGNESIUM 9 79

PHOSPHORUS 741 690

ZINC 826 842

BARIUM 0 0

INSOLUBLES % 0.4
WATER % 0 0

FUEL % trace
ANTIFREEZE % 0 0

FLASHPOINT ºF 365 >365

SUS VIS 210ºF 57.4 56-63

cSt @ 212ºF 9.47 9.1-11.3

TBN 3.2

Comments from Blackstone:
Quote:
The only reading out of line in this first sample from your 170,218-mile Bonneville's engine was
silicon. And silicon can be harmless or it can be abrasive. From the looks of wear, we'd guess it was a
harmless source (like a sealer or something that was used). Universal averages show typical wear levels
after about 4,600 miles for this engine type. Your wear numbers all look good compared to those averages.
A trace of fuel was found, but that's not causing any problems that we can see. The TBN read 3.2 showing
plenty of active additive left (1.0 is low). Try 6K miles.

Thanks --

Ken_W

Ken believe it or not this looks very good for a GM 3800 engine. No water found nor antifreeze. Just a trace of fuel. I would not worry about the silicone yet, it could be from engine work that was done before you bought the bonnie. But you have owned the car for 18K miles correct? I suggest changing your air filter if you have not done so yet. If you are interested in another UOA see if this help bring your silicone number down. But it seems you have a nice tight engine and I would do your next oil change 5-6.5K from your last change. It should be fine.

Does the engine burn oil? Why was a quart added after 400 miles of use? Was it filled low to begin with?

I'd top it off completely, checking the oil level every day for a few days after an oil change and adding as needed to completely bring the oil level to FULL.

THEN, if the engine doesn't burn much, run the oil for another 5,000 miles and resample.

In my option, the added quart is throwing off the results a bit, esp the leftover TBN.

Again, if it doesn't burn much oil, do another 5k run without adding any oil (if it doesn't need any) and resample to confirm the results and take another look at the silicon. If everything comes back looks just as good with plenty of TBN, this oil and your driving style should be good for 6k runs from here on out.

49.gif

Will a 2000 show the percentage left on the OLM?

I'm with the others, looks nice. I'd probably take a look at the intake tubing and start running a little longer, closer to the OLM as you're comfortable.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Lookin good in the neighborhood. A high boron oil like QSGB might drop the copper corrosion a bit.

+1

@Dave1251 - I replaced the air filter at the same time as this oil change. It had about 16K on it, and was a "ServiceMaster" brand from my local quick-lube (probably a cheapo). Replaced with a WIX filter that I installed myself.

@Artem - I may have had to top off early due to not checking the oil level after the first post-change drive. I checked it a couple weeks later and topped off to make it full. It did not require further top-offs after that.

@cp3 - This car has an oil life monitor; I just forgot to note where it was when I took the sample. I think it was around 30% remaining. I will be sure to note this next time.

@Whomever is still reading - My current run contains G-Oil 5w-30 synthetic. Am about 1K into it so far, and no top-off required yet. Will try to avoid topping off on this one if I can. G-Oil is a fairly new oil that comes from organic sources instead of the ground. It looks/smells/performs like regular motor oil. The few reviews of this here at BITOG look promising, and they have a good rebate ($16 off $26 retail) so I'm trying it and will get a UOA at the end. Am thinking of going 8K on this G-Oil run (unless the need to top-off makes me cut it short).

Ken_W

Last edited:
8k is a rather large jump. Sample @ 6k without draining. If the results come back good, keep running it as long as the lab recommends and change it.

During the next oil fill, run to 8k and sample to confirm positive results.

6,000 on G-oil and a test while continued driving is a good COA moving forward somewhat cautiously. I doubt it can go much further than 6,000 on G-oil from the reports we've seen already regarding it's TBN retention.

What oil filter was used before? in use now?

Last edited:
I always (including now) use Purolator PureOne oil filters on this car.

Will sample at 6,000 miles as per suggestions above.

Ken_W

Last edited:
I wonder how PYB HM 10W30 would work in this engine? PYB HM numbers looked good in the last UOA that I read. May be worth a shot...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ken_W
PYB = ??? Sorry; drawing a blank on that one...

Ken_W

PYB=Pennzoil yellow bottle=Pennzoil Conventional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back