Oil temperature in relation to Coolant temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been wondering what my oil temperatures are but my car only has a coolant temperature gauge. I want to know if the two usually match each other or their relationship. I need to know if my engine oil is getting hot enough to ne not considered short trips. I dont want to install an oil gauge temperature!

you can shoot the oil pan with an infra red thermometer.

You can feel it with your hand.

Most car get the oil quite hot but it can take a while to do so since there's no thermostat in most cars for oil temp control.

if your engine is fully warmed up after 10min ie coolant 190F+

then your oil will eventually get there.

Most Vehicles it takes around 15min on the highway to get your oil warmed up fully.

The engines i have owned with both coolant and oil temp gauges showed coolant getting to temp significantly faster than the oil.
The coolant took about 2-3 miles @ 70f to reach 80c and the oil 5-8 miles to reach 80c.
In 20f ambient it took over 12 miles to get the oil to 80c.

Different engines and sump capacity may have different times.

My brother's Corvette has an oil temperature gauge on the DIC. There is no relationship between oil temperature and coolant temperature in his car. The biggest factor on oil temperature is engine speed, again, at least in his car. Loping around in traffic, the oil doesn't really go over 130-140*F (similar to jigen's experience). But drive a steady speed down the road at 3,000 rpm, the oil temperature will begin to climb, and can reach 180*F or more. Slow the engine speed down, and the oil temperature will fall back down. All the while, coolant is maintained at the temperature set by the thermostat.

Again, his car may be different; there may be an external oil cooler. In a car with no oil cooler, the oil may stay at an elevated temperature once warmed up.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The engines i have owned with both coolant and oil temp gauges showed coolant getting to temp significantly faster than the oil.
The coolant took about 2-3 miles @ 70f to reach 80c and the oil 5-8 miles to reach 80c.
In 20f ambient it took over 12 miles to get the oil to 80c.

Different engines and sump capacity may have different times.

That's sort of the opposite of what I experience with the M5, BUT, that changes as the weather gets colder.

In the summer, the car will be at "operating" oil temp before the coolant temp is up. When it gets colder, the coolant temp gets up there before the oil temp.

Oil cooler is in the valley.

I am not sure how greatly each engine varies, but with my current vehicle putting around town my oil temp rises to about 185-190F and stays there after 10 minutes of driving. When I am on the highway it will go to around 200F. 215F is the highest it usually gets to.

Coolant just climbs and sits. I wouldn't say there's much of a relationship between the two.

All the oilheads here will freak but the SRT8 has hit 300 degrees at the track and routinely runs around 200-215 in ordinary driving.

Coolant never goes past 190 no matter what, and in normal traffic is maintained very accurately at 180. The car does have the fans reprogrammed by me to take advantage of a cooler thermostat.

I noticed that with my old 930 and later model 911's also but they used an oil thermostat to the system.
The 4cyl MB diesel on the other hand took a very long time to get the oil up to temp. Maybe the huge sump on the little 2.0 ltr engine had something to do with it.

I remember working on one car (German) many years ago that had oil cooler lines going through a coolant heater with a thermostat and bypass, they wanted to get the oil warm ASAP.
I also remember BMW using coolant-oil heat exchangers but i don't remember when or the model (i think it may be your engine), maybe you can find some info.

Originally Posted By: cp3
My G5 has a coolant-oil heat exchanger. I'm thinking this works both ways and that it would help to bring the oil temp up quicker in the winter?

Depends on how the system was designed. Here is the Audi S4/RS4:

29352_816772344561_5020315_46340708_5384822_n.jpg

Originally Posted By: Trav
I noticed that with my old 930 and later model 911's also but they used an oil thermostat to the system.
The 4cyl MB diesel on the other hand took a very long time to get the oil up to temp. Maybe the huge sump on the little 2.0 ltr engine had something to do with it.

I remember working on one car (German) many years ago that had oil cooler lines going through a coolant heater with a thermostat and bypass, they wanted to get the oil warm ASAP.
I also remember BMW using coolant-oil heat exchangers but i don't remember when or the model (i think it may be your engine), maybe you can find some info.

Not info, but a pic from my oil cooler thread I made (pic is courtesy M5board):

IMG_20110930_014711.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back