25 Bucks for an oil analysis saved me THOUSANDS!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: qr25de
All that engineering and they can't get a bearing right? Cock.

Right, except if this was a GM with a failed intake manifold gasket, you could say "all that engineering and they can't get a gasket right? Cock."

or if it was a Toyota with a broken frame:
"all that engineering and they can't get something as basic as a frame right? Cock."

.....etc

All makes have some rather ridiculous issues from time to time.

If you are willing to take significant risk and remove safety margin, you can design amazing things and brag about it, until it fail.

IMO removing safety margin is not the right way to great engineering.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I am surprised BMW screwed up so bad on this. Used to see a lot of bearing issues in the 1960's, not not in the "modern" era...

I was talking to an independent mechanic the other day who specializes in Foreign autos (luxury). He said he used to work in a BMW dealership. The stories of the engine problems that BMW knew about and how prolific they were / are, would make your hair stand on end.

That's my concern. Toyota has also been very guilty of sweeping issues under the rug so they don't get publicized much.

The sheer volume of problems heard re: BMW is amazing. It's pretty hard to discount it all.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
My S54 BMW M Coupe had high lead and copper. This is on an Engine that has KNOWN Rod Bearing issues. The pan is off the car today and the Rod Bearings are shot. ............

Given the state of your bearings, and that lead, tin, and copper were all under 50 ppm, this illustrates the low sensitivity of a typical $25 UOA. As I recall from a chart that was once posted here, once you get above a particle size of 1 um, the sensitivity starts to drop off drastically. I wonder what the true concentrations of your bearing metals was? 200 ppm? 500 ppm? 1000 ppm?

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
My S54 BMW M Coupe had high lead and copper. This is on an Engine that has KNOWN Rod Bearing issues. The pan is off the car today and the Rod Bearings are shot. ............

Given the state of your bearings, and that lead, tin, and copper were all under 50 ppm, this illustrates the low sensitivity of a typical $25 UOA. As I recall from a chart that was once posted here, once you get above a particle size of 1 um, the sensitivity starts to drop off drastically. I wonder what the true concentrations of your bearing metals was? 200 ppm? 500 ppm? 1000 ppm?

Wonder if this is where the high iron M1 UOA's originate from. The particulate size from M1 in the sweet spot of the lab? maybe..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SubLGT

Under 50ppm, yes...but more than TEN times the average for this engine. Copper average = 1...My oil = 21ppm. Has to be significant,no?

Last edited:
How do you like the petro Canada oil. My cr-v uses 0w20 and honda uses it as the stock fill. Are you happy with the product. I change the oil at 50% anyways.

Photo of #1 rod bearing (left) and #2 on the right. A little wear on #1 but #2 is the source of that lead and copper!

The other four bearings looked pretty good.
6ygxat.jpg

Last edited:
Photo of #1 rod bearing (left) and #2 on the right. A little wear on #1 but #2 is the source of that lead and copper!

The other four bearings looked pretty good.

Yup, that's done! WOW

Just wondering, you mentioned hearing noises, was that what prompted you to do a UOA report? Or was the report done before the noise?

I heard a slight "Buzz" when I backed off the throttle to make a shift. May not be anything as I still hear that noise sometimes.

My Oil report was my first analysis on the car @ 60,000miles just to acess the bearing issue that is common on this engine and turned out to be SERIOUS on that one bearing of mine.

I heard a slight "Buzz" when I backed off the throttle to make a shift. May not be anything as I still hear that noise sometimes.

My Oil report was my first analysis on the car @ 60,000miles just to acess the bearing issue that is common on this engine and turned out to be SERIOUS on that one bearing of mine.

Glad to hear it worked out for you!

When I back off of the Civic's throttle I feel a ca-chunk at times, like the transmission mount is bad or something.
27.gif

Hope it's not a bearing!
crazy2.gif

Wow. That's a huge difference between the two bearings. Is it common for just one to go bad like that? Seems like a pretty obvious oiling issue.

Have you checked the piston squirters? I've heard of people having issues with the nozzles breaking off. Just something to check while the engine is open. Though I'm probably too late with the suggestion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back