Chrysler Crossfire

Status
Not open for further replies.
This vehicle always interested me in an odd way. Does anyone own one or have any hands-on experience with the car? Just looking to hear some stories from fellow BITOG members.
smile.gif

I always liked them, Would be main competitive car to 350z as to me.
It's 80% Mercedes. Sorry no hands on experience. Sad that SRT6 doesn't have stick. Maybe someone here owns SLK 320, they are mostly same.

I always thought they were kinda cool as well. However I've never driven one and never knew anyone who had one.
Tom

Production on the cars was low (only about 4000 produced in 2007). My old manager had one but I never asked him much about it. Should have asked to take it for a spin.
smile.gif

CO-WORKER HAS ONE, he runs his pretty hard, seems like a quick car. no hands on, never ridden in it. i see him go zipping through the esses as work.. car rails..

Does it, in fact, share parts with SLK? It was out way before 2007 IIRC.. Did they stop making it? (Chrysler version of Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky?)

I walked past one, it looked more Audi TT-ish to me. Not saying it has TT parts (obviously it does not) but.. would be a tough sell, with so many other card around. So would the TT. Not that i dont LIKE them.. but it IS very small, Miata-ish and i would not want a Miata, and it seems oddball.

I second the original questoin. Hands-on? Problems? Likes? Engines available?

I had watched an old TopGear episode on it. Jeremy clarkson mentioned that it was essentially an SLK, and if I remember correctly he liked it. Other than that, I figure it must be good since its modeled after an MB and it looks pretty great.

Small quick little cars. Yes its mostly Benz parts so mostly Benz pricing. From a quick look its the Mercedes fleece filter, so Im assuming its the dual spark 3.2. Figure 12 plugs when service is due. 8 quarts of oil also.
They came in 3.2 or the Kompressor (supercharged) 3.2 in the SRT 6

Last edited:
I'm guessing the SRT6's are rare and still carry a but if demand. I've seen a lot of the non-SRTs going for pretty cheap.

Old college roommate has it. It's more of a GT car in my opinion, not a very pure sports car. Haven't experienced the SRT model but they are the potential to be wicked fast.

Its based on an ancient SLK, so its probably an OK car at best.

I know that generation of SLK wasn't anything to write home about. Good engine and transmission though.

OTOH its probably the best Chrysler convertible built since 1970, and the stiffest, since even an old Mercedes platform is still 15 years ahead of anything they had at the time.

The SLK (R170) it's based off of is a curiously reliable model, unlike most Mercedes vehicles. If you read the mercedes forums, the owners mention this.

When it comes to SLK transmission fluid changes, Mercedes fluid costs around $16 per liter. There is no qualified substitute. What's curious about the Chrysler Crossfire, is that even though the transmission is the same, Chrysler dealers specify the cheaper ($4 per liter) ATF+4 for the transmission. Some Mercedes SLK folk picked up on this and started using ATF+4 for their transmissions.

Originally Posted By: Scum_Frog
Always been a fan of the Crossfire...just something about them that I like.

+1

BIL had one..quite fun!

Absolutely a cool little car.

Think 300zx feel but with much more engine and rigidity. The SRT models are VERY rare and can really hustle!

I've driven in one, but not driven one. Car is nifty, sits pretty low and seats are the same. Car has some go, great handling. Ride is really rough though, but thats what you can expect from sitting so low within low profiles on them.

Not every car with low profile tires and low ride height rides rough.

My car has about 3.5 inches of ground clearance, that's lower than the Crossfire. With 275/35/20 tires that definitely qualify as LOW profile.

Yet the ride is quite nice. Not smooshy, but tight, like a nice BMW or Merc but with more roll stiffness.

The Crossfire is simply a bit dated, but I still like them.

I had two Crossfire Limited Roadsters, a 2006 and a 2008. The 3.2 was a great engine, not terribly powerful, but smooth and fairly efficient. The car had the usual horrible Benz steering, any pavement imperfections caused it to dart all over the road. Paint and finish were flawless. I paid big dollars for the nav system and it was inferior to American systems in every way. Also, no spare tire made nervous on long trips as the only way this vehicle could be transported was via flat bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back