VW Beetle 2.0 under valve cover PICS, 109k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the valve cover gasket on the my girlfriend's 2000 VW Beetle 2.0 with around 109k miles.

We've been dating for around two years. Before that, I don't know the maintenance history.

It doesn't look too bad. There is some buildup.

I'm sure you'll all notice the yellow gunk on the inside of the valve cover. This is a regular issue for these engines. In cold weather they buildup frothy yellow gunk, because of water condensation. It's worse when the vehicle is only driven on short trips, because it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation. This vehicle is basically only drive on short trips, so it builds up lots of gunk. Plus, there is a plastic baffle between the valve cover and valve train (not shown in the pics), which prevents oil from washing off the yellow gunk.

It's definitely dirtier than my Nissan Frontier at 140k miles.
Link to Nissan Frontier pics.

IMG_7925-1200.jpg

IMG_7927-1200.jpg

IMG_7929-1200.jpg

IMG_7930-1200.jpg

IMG_7932-1200.jpg

IMG_7924-1200.jpg

Last edited:
I honestly expected worse from a VW 2.0 with unknown maintenance prior to 2010 or so.
thumbsup2.gif

But at the same time I am reminded of how much a pain in the posterior changing the spark plugs is on a VW 2 point-slow.
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Spazdog

But at the same time I am reminded of how much a pain in the posterior changing the spark plugs is on a VW 2 point-slow.
33.gif

Yeah, I'm also doing the plugs at the same time, since I have everything torn apart.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Oil used and OCI?

Oil used is whatever brand is on sale. OCI is 3K - 5K. Before I met my GF, I don't know the maintenance history.

I should note that this 2.0 is from the prime oil-burning years. From what I've read online, some of the piston rings were improperly marked and installed upside down at the factory.

Last edited:
I think the oil spec for that engine is VW 502.
It is basically synthetic with a certain HT/HS requirement.
I'd look at Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 0w30 as easy to find and correct lubes.

Originally Posted By: ChiTDI
I think the oil spec for that engine is VW 502.
It is basically synthetic with a certain HT/HS requirement.
I'd look at Mobil 1 0w40 or Castrol Syntec 0w30 as easy to find and correct lubes.

I think I would use these oils regardless of spec. They are just better lubes for that engine IMO. I still have to say this is not bad for a bug from that year, especially using any oil on sale.

I have the older ABA version of this 2L engine in my 96 Golf.

Very robust engine and can be very heavily abused and not suffer any damage..

Yep. the AEG version of the 2L in 1999 and early 2000 did have some rings improperly installed at the factory, but it was a pretty small minority.

I also have the cappuccino like stuff near the valve cover and other places where outside cold air comes in contact with metal also near the PCV valve too. Normal, but it does scare the heck out of owners that haven't learned that this is only water condensate and not coolant from a HG leak .LOL

In the ABA to make it easier to get the plugs out you can save buying the special removal too for the plug wire boots by bending a thin wire coat hanger to fit over the small nubs on the metal boots.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
What that coffee color on valve cover
Originally Posted By: stephen9666

I'm sure you'll all notice the yellow gunk on the inside of the valve cover. This is a regular issue for these engines. In cold weather they buildup frothy yellow gunk, because of water condensation. It's worse when the vehicle is only driven on short trips, because it doesn't get hot enough to burn off the condensation. This vehicle is basically only drive on short trips, so it builds up lots of gunk. Plus, there is a plastic baffle between the valve cover and valve train (not shown in the pics), which prevents oil from washing off the yellow gunk.

IMG_7924-1200.jpg

My daughter has a 99 2.0 Beetle and I have noticed that yellow gunk on the inside of the oil filler cap (it uses a little oil). I wasn't sure whether it was related to condensation or a coolant leak although I have never needed to top off the coolant. Maybe I dont need to be too concerned about it?
confused2.gif

I should add that I was able to do this job with all parts from First World counties.
thumbsup2.gif

Valve cover gasket - Fel Pro made in Germany
Intake manifold gasket - Fel Pro made in USA
Oil cap and oil filler gaskets - NAPA Altrom made in Germany
Spark plugs - NGK made in Japan

Using quality parts, not cheap Chinese parts, is a high priority for me. If I'm going to go through the hassle of DIY'ing a job, I want to make sure I do a job with quality parts.

Aaah the good old 2.0. The almost indestructible oil burning vw engine. Fond memories
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back