GM FF, 13,961 miles, 11 Chevy Cruze

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: GMFan
These two FF UOAs look like different oils. Something seems off.

Chevy could have changed suppliers of it's FF oil during the production run, or perhaps they don't always use the exact same oil but could have a few different suppliers, and therefore you never know what that engine will have in it from one day to the next.

Originally Posted By: pcfxer
It's a whimpy engine, let's see that in my Spec-V.

crackmeup2.gif

Both those reports look pretty good for FF. I don't think I'd have the stones to leave it in that long, but to each his own.

Eek. I changed out my FF in my Cruze at 2.3k ish, and did my mom's equinox at a little over 1, but that's only because I wanted to get it changed before our upcoming 1k+ mile trip. My OLM was on track to take me over 10k miles, and the nox was looking to do about 6k.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Originally Posted By: Finklejag
... Whatever oil it was. It did a good job and didn't use up any of the add pack.
Thats an incorrect assumption. The pack is "converted" and ineffective but still in suspension. Only burning will remove the ash. Wheres the TBN?

What he said.
thumbsup2.gif

It would also be nice to see an oxidation number.

Last edited:
All that this analysis illustrates/highlights is the lack of understanding that is so pervasive about what can and cannot be concluded from a cheap single pass Blackstone UOA.

No TBN
No Oxidation
No trending to show how viscosity changed

LOL! I take back my first comment; this thread also serves as an excellent reminder that post count means very little.

Originally Posted By: Artem
x2. I'm also extremely impressed by this interval on the FF and the condition of the oil.

0% oil life @ 14k miles?!
shocked.gif
GM sure is pushing it. Glad it's working out for them, at least with this engine.

That engine has a 4.5 liter sump. So the sump is something like 2.5 times the size of the displacement of the engine. Which really helps explain why it can go so long on an oil change.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Eek. I changed out my FF in my Cruze at 2.3k ish, and did my mom's equinox at a little over 1, but that's only because I wanted to get it changed before our upcoming 1k+ mile trip. My OLM was on track to take me over 10k miles, and the nox was looking to do about 6k.

I wouldn't fret over changing your FF at 2300 miles. I changed mine at 1600. The Blackstone report even states that OLM systems are not accurate early in an engines life. I will always do the first couple of OCI's early (due to break-in metals) and then go by the OLM...

Originally Posted By: pbm

I wouldn't fret over changing your FF at 2300 miles. I changed mine at 1600. The Blackstone report even states that OLM systems are not accurate early in an engines life. I will always do the first couple of OCI's early (due to break-in metals) and then go by the OLM...

They should set up the OLM so that it does not allow oil changes to go as long during the first 10-20k of an engine's life.

I wouldn't buy a used hammer from someone that would wait 14K miles to change the oil on a new car.

Cheers!

p.s. Could well have been a lease.

p.p.s. I wouldn't buy a used lease (or rental) car ever, either!

p.p.p.s. Well, unless it was one of the ORIGINAL Hertz Mustang GT350's!

Originally Posted By: wapacz
Originally Posted By: Artem
x2. I'm also extremely impressed by this interval on the FF and the condition of the oil.

0% oil life @ 14k miles?!
shocked.gif
GM sure is pushing it. Glad it's working out for them, at least with this engine.

That engine has a 4.5 liter sump. So the sump is something like 2.5 times the size of the displacement of the engine. Which really helps explain why it can go so long on an oil change.

THIS

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Originally Posted By: pcfxer
It's a whimpy engine, let's see that in my Spec-V.

crackmeup2.gif

GTI << Spec-V.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back