Vacuum Pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a Mityvac.

Mityvac web site

It's easier to use in that I can do it one handed. Looking at that picture you'd need two hands.

It comes in very handy for one man brake bleeding, etc.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
I use a Mityvac.

Mityvac web site

It's easier to use in that I can do it one handed. Looking at that picture you'd need two hands.

This might be a dumb question but how does the mityvac collect the sample? Does it attach to the pump on the mityvac just like the one I posted? or do you need something to catch the oil in and then transfer it to a sample container?

I have the Blackstone vacuum pump. Works great - slip in a new piece of 1/4" icemaker tubing each time and it's ready to go.

Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: AandPDan
I use a Mityvac.

Mityvac web site

This might be a dumb question but how does the mityvac collect the sample? Does it attach to the pump on the mityvac just like the one I posted? or do you need something to catch the oil in and then transfer it to a sample container?

I think he answered a different question. Having owned a MityVac in the past, it would be quite difficult to collect a clean UOA sample with it.

For collecting UOA samples, this Blackstone pump you linked to works very well. I've been using it for years. Just buy some extra tubing from a hardware store and use a fresh piece of tubing for every sample you draw.

Have not used that one....I bought the pump from Amsoil/Oil Analyzers, Inc. :p BUT TBH, while I was waiting for the pump to get here.....I was getting "uneasy" lol....I wanted to sample _NOW_

So.....I went to Walmart automotive, and tried one of the bulb siphon pumps.....omg that was garbage......the bulb was extremely hard to pump.....I had a hard time even siphoning water (testing lol) with it, cause the rubber/plastic bulb on it was quite "strong" errr.....well built I guess....maybe? Lol....but ya, to siphon the water for my initial test I was using the palms of both hands to use the pump lol.....couldn't see it working with the oil....

Anyways, I gave it a try, laid out my dipstick side by side to the siphon pump and marked the "end" of the dipstick so I basically had a good idea when the line would hit oil...

Turns out, I couldn't do it...the hose on the pump was very weak (was almost scared to stick it down the tube...in fear of it melting from the warmed up engine oil even....lol) - it got about half way down the dipstick, and would not go any further! I was like [censored]....I was thinking there was an "obstruction" or "anti siphon" in the dipstick tube or something lol....did some searches, and someone on a Camaro forum had a similar problem....but yea, I chalked it up to cheap/weak tubing.....and the heat from the engine was likely making the tubing "stick" to the side of the dipstick tube.

So.....I went back to walmart, they had a "MixMizer" syringe thing, used to measure out 2-cycle oil......I was like ooooo I bet that would pull a good vacuum hahaha! So I got the MixMizer, then went 2 aisles over to the plumbing section and got the icemaker kit
wink.gif
1/4" in diameter I believe....took it all home, again, laid out the ice maker kit along side the oil dipstick, made a mark for the "end" of the dipstick, then "doubled" the length" so I had just a little bit more to work with. I cut the tubing at about a 45 degree angle with scissors.

Well [censored], the tubing was the SAME diameter of the MixMizer syringe! lol.....was about to give up....but then I remembered the MixMizer came with a "straw like" tube that was a bit wider than the MixMizer nozzle....so I popped that straw onto the end of the syringe, NOW, the ice maker tubing slid right into the MixMizer....and was ready to suck :p lol.

Sure enough, I took the "flat end" of the tubing into the MixMizer, with the 45 degree angle cut being the engine oil side....I was reading somewhere (probably here...) that people were doing a 30 - 45 degree angle cut with the B_S and Amsoil pump tubing....so figured I'd follow suit with my cheap-o MixMizer solution :p

And so I pushed the ice maker tubing down to my sharpie mark (the premeasured mark I made for the end of the dipstick, to basically let me know I hit oil) and took a pump. Sure enough, I saw black come through.....

I didn't do a true "siphon" since the B_S sample kit only needs 3-6 oz... or so....and didn't want to empty my whole crankcase into the sample jar hah, but yea, I basically it took 2 syringe pumps using the MixMizer to fill that [censored] sample bottle - not bad.

And honestly.....it sounds like a lot of work, but once I was home, I had an oil sample in about 10-15 minutes.....the longest part was setting up the tubing, cutting, etc.....

As for that cheap "Pennzoil" branded hand pump, it may work for emptying an over flowing toilet, but will not work for getting an oil sample from the dipstick tube :p So yea, I still have the pump hanging in the garage....

I was thinking it MAY work to get a transmission fluid sample through the dipstick.....cause I tried the MixMizer method (with a different hose), and the Ice Maker tubing is almost "too stiff" for the transmission dipstick, at least for my 88 Aries......the trans dipstick tube is kind of shallow......and the ice maker tube doesn't seem to like "bending" to get down "into" the transmission where I think the sample would be most appropriate....

Just my experience
smile.gif

Not knocking the Blackstone pump, I'm sure it would work, but if you're just looking to sample oil through the dipstick, you could use the MixMizer + Ice Maker line method for a bit cheaper....I think the MixMizer was $2...? And the ice maker kit may have been $3.....and I was ready to go "that day" no waiting for the pump in the mail
smile.gif

Edit: On a side note, it appears Walmart now sells a "Top Ender" geared towards Top End Oil Changers
smile.gif
I saw it over in the Sporting Goods section with their "Attwood" items; I believe it was $20 for the 12 volt powered "evacuation pump" they are marketing it as.....

Having not used a MityVac or similar, I can't say whether or not it's a "MityVac Killer" or not....but eh, figured [censored] that's CHEAP.....the biggest thing though, would be figuring if the included tubing would work through an automobile dipstick tube :p

Last edited:
If anyone works in the medical profession or knows someone in the medical profession, nab a 30cc syringe or larger with oxygen tubing, then cut off the flanges on the tube to insert into the dipstick and leur of syringe. This is just one of many auto applications I have for medical supplies. Best of all, since they are disposable, you never have to worry about cross contamination.

That's not a bad idea
wink.gif
Someone told me that walmart actually will sell syringes over the counter at their Pharmacy.....just tell them you don't need the needle :p Trust me, I've heard of some people getting some "weird" looks.....

A buddy of mine sent his son to go pick one up, and the pharmacist gave him a real strange look.....like [censored] do you need these for....

Cause yea, I'm sure they get a lot of people that buy them for "drug (ab)use"......but for automotive use, don't need the needle(s)
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back