Citgo Supergard 5w-30 ~ 7050 mi ~ 2000 Bonneville

Status
Not open for further replies.
This UOA was on a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi with the Series II 3800 supercharged engine. Oil was Citgo SuperGard 5w-30 labeled as a "Synthetic Blend" API SN rated. The oil was on sale for $1.97 a quart, and I routinely see it around that price. The only extra oil added for top up was about 20 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil about 75% through the OCI.

I chose to do a UOA this time around because before this interval I did some engine modifications, bolt ons, and had the car dyno tuned. Was curious to see if the extra power (and being driven hard) resulted in extra wear, but it appears not to be the case.

Driving is 85% hwy / 15% city. Oil was in use approximately 4-5 months.

Last recorded UOA @ 125,978 mi was with Philips Trop-Artic 10w-30. Since then I've used Chevron Supreme 10w-30 and another round of the Trop-Artic was the last OCI, but I did not send away for UOA's those times.

74348252.png

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
The only extra oil added for top up was about 20 oz of Marvel Mystery Oil about 75% through the OCI.

Getting some of that

Originally Posted By: semaj281
Where did you find the Citgo stuff anyway?

It was at Blain's Farm and Fleet, a chain found in the upper midwest. Citgo also makes their house brand oil.

I've also found it at Rural King, which is another farm type chain around here, Citgo also makes their house brand.

Very nice report. Looks like an excellent value oil, not readily available here. Suppose you could go to BlSt recommended oci, but since you added MMO, 7-7.5K looks like a nice sweet spot to me. Hwy miles seemed to agree with this oil/OCI.

Impressive 2.8 tbn.

Just got two cases of this, wanted to post a thanks for posting the UOA. Looks somewhat out of grade, but that maybe due to the MMO and/or 7000 mile OCI.

The MMO didn't wack out the zinc/phosphorus balance as some have voiced concerns over, but it is probably responsible for part of the out of grade issue.

I'm a fan of MMO but 20 oz in a fading value priced 5w30 is probably pushing it, though it looks like you had a happy ending anyway.

Nice UOA, I was hesitant to pick up a case when it was on sale for 1.99 a quart at Fleet Farm a while back, looks like next time I'll get one...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back