VOA for Amsoil Signature 0W-20 (ASM)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely no need to get defensive ! And "I" never said
there was anything wrong with Amsoil. In fact, we use Amsoil
oils in more than one vehicle.

No doubt Amsoil 0W20 will be "robust" enough to stand up
to the stop/start cycles, but the Toyota 0W20 KV100 at 8.54
versus Amsoil 9.0. KV40 at 37.38 versus Amsoil 47.3, and VI at 216 versus Amsoil 166 and HTHS at2,6 versus Amsoil 2.8 is substantially lighter not onlt at start up, but virtually all operating temperatures, and that is much better suited for the very high frequenct stop/start operating cycles of the 1.8 engine and Hybrid operating system in the Prius.

Using a 5W30 for an engine spec'd specifivaslly for a 0w20 is more than a little questionable, especially in the new Gen 3 2010 and up Prius.

We sure as [censored] wouldn't us it in ours !

Not being defensive at all, just hard to read "tone" on the internet. Your post reads as if I am recommending a wrong viscosity, that's all - I wanted to be clear. I've had people nearly yell at me when I said Toyota does NOT call for 5W-30. They basically told me it's none of my business and give me 5W-30. I find it odd that people buy such Hybrids being all logical and all, and run the wrong oil viscosity

As for the lighter is better, well Caterham says that enough - but I highly doubt the engine will ever know the difference.

Pablo, you're very correct about reading "tone" on the internet. I assure you there was absolutely no intent
to suggest you were recommending a wrong viscosity. As the
saying goes, "you can bring a horse to water. but you can't make him drink."

As for the "lighter" oil......well.....you might be right
that the "engine will never know the difference".....but
a discerning owner who pays attention to oil specs,
the mfr's recommended specs, the intended use, and a bit of applied common sense will. At the end of the day, it's "each to his/her own"............

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: buster

The VI is relatively low. This always [censored] off some of the low flow nazi's such as Caterham. I say the oil will flow just fine, even in very, very cold situations. I have requested Amsoil run MRV tests, and they are taking it seriously. But it says something else - it says Amsoil is not doping their 0W oils with VII's - and you noticed it. It doesn't shear. HTHS of 2.8 for a 0W-20? Stout.

So I'm a "low flow nazi"!
Well I'll take that as a complement since it is a fundamental tenant of lubrication for motor oil to be as light as possible on start-up and no oil achieves that goal better than the Toyota Brand 0W-20. The advantages are too numerous to mention and go well beyond just improved fuel economy.
Saying the Amsoil 0W-20 "will flow just fine" is a rather weak justification for an oil that has a limited market. Since it's almost a 30wt oil I suppose you could use it in a light 30wt application perhaps as long drain alternative to M1 AFE 0W-30. But it's too heavy to use where a 20wt is specified.

Also the accusation that modern high VI oils are shear prone are groundless. Check out the following 10,000 mile Toyota 0W-20 UOA:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2415119#Post2415119

Thanks.

Was hoping you might have Soup Nazi-esque retort (assuming you are a Seinfeld fan and even get the reference) ( : < )

My next OCI is due in 5000km ( 10 000km on Mobil AFE 0W20 current fill) . I still have to decide if I will use Toyota 0W20 or the Amsoil 0W20. Both are in my garage waiting.

At the moment I have Mobil AFE 0W20 in the engine.

My original plan was to use Mobil AFE 0W20 again.
Also in my garage is the following oilfilters: Bosch distance +, 2 Royal Purple, Napa Platinum and Mobil oilfilters....I know...so many filters....lol.

Any advice on a good choice to use in my Hyundia Sonata GL 2009?

I have a 2011 Tundra with the 5.7L V8. I'm currently running Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20. I want to extend change intervals out to 10K miles, once I hit about 20K miles on the vehicle. However, I am having some reservations about taking Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 out that far.

I have seen a couple of UOAs on M1 AFE 0W-20 with about 10K miles, and they look OK. But after seeing the VOA in this thread, I really think Amsoil's signature 0W-20 will handle the longer interval better. If Mobil had a 0W-20 EP version, I would use that, but they do not, and have stated there are no plans to have one.

Anyone else in a similar "predicament"? The Amsoil product really looks better for this purpose than Mobil's product.

Originally Posted By: MobilinHyundia
I still have to decide if I will use Toyota 0W20 or the Amsoil 0W20. Both are in my garage waiting.
At the moment I have Mobil AFE 0W20 in the engine.
My original plan was to use Mobil AFE 0W20 again.
Also in my garage is the following oilfilters: Bosch distance +, 2 Royal Purple, Napa Platinum and Mobil oilfilters....I know...so many filters....lol.
Any advice on a good choice to use in my Hyundia Sonata GL 2009?

Since you've got the Toyota and Amsoil products already I'd run the very light Toyota 0W-20 and substitute one quart of the much heavier Amsoil over the next few oil changes until you've used the Amsoil up. This blend will still give you a 200+ VI 0W-20 but with an extended range if you want it.

The Amsoil should last longer than the AFE. EP would be your netter choice if you stick with M1 otherwise the Amsoil is a good option.

Quote:
Well - I'm not sure what amines are used nor am I sure what form the Mo is.

Most likely the moly is the soluble Moly DiThiocarbamate.

The amines are most likely the anti-oxidants. Most blnders are using two forms of antioxidants these days to resist oxidation for longer drain intervals.

Mola, what do you think of the Amsoil and Mobil formulas? A well known Amsoil dealr on youtube was talking up esters a lot, but said only a small percentage are being used due to cost.

I did it. Oil change done with a RoyalPurple oil filter, 3 qts Toyota 0W20 + 1qts of Amsoil 0W20.
Engine running still, all good. Thanks CATERHAM for the good advice on this blend.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Really, really like the add-pack that Amsoil is now using for the SS line of oils.

Thanks for doing the VOA!
Dont it look like PYB's SN economy add pack with more CA, thats all. Likely MUCH MUCH better base blend in the AMS. The base oils REALLY matter. (Now why is my New 2912 Honda Fit knocking like a rock grinder on 0w20? You guys tolerating this racket just BC its "supposed' to run 20 weight? Could it be carbon on the piston squish land hitting the head since ive been running conservatively and most engines are 0-deck height? See I'm trying not to blame the non-viscous weasle whizz oil ... just yet
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back