5w20 makes my oil light come on

Status
Not open for further replies.
94 dodge dakota 3.9 v6. Idle indicated real low around 300 RPM, seperate yet related issue. Valvoline 5w20 (from amazon) with <100 miles. Running at thermostat temp.

In my opinion if the idle is around 300 RPM - even if it's an unrelated problem, the oil pressure switch is not seeing enough pressure to shut off the light.

Also, your oil pressure switch could be bad. Usually oil pressure switches are very cheap, so if that's the case, go ahead and replace it.

Put a mechanical gauge on it.

300 rpm is very low for it to idle. That's probably part of it. I don't think Dodge lists 5w-20 as a recommended oil for that engine either. 5w-30 probably.

Thin oil and low idle = low oil pressure.

How many miles on the engine? That can also be a factor.

Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
10w30 in that engine

In Maine....during the cold winters.....give me a break!

+1....for a 5w30.....

20w is a bit thin for the 3.9. +1 for the low idle and possible sensor malfunction.

Does it do that with 30w?

I got the truck in april and put 20w50 in it, because I had it on clearance. Normally I just drive 4 miles to the dump so it never gets fully up to operating temp, and I have cases of cheap 5w20, so.... This time though I went for a good drive to pick up a new mattress set and got it all warmed up.

Interesting to note that the oil pressure gauge does move a little bit down from its midpoint. It did the same thing on my 2.5 powered dakota.

Originally Posted By: Oregoonian
Originally Posted By: mopar_monkey
10w30 in that engine

In Maine....during the cold winters.....give me a break!

+1....for a 5w30.....

just posting what the manufacturer specs for this engine, and if there is an issue with oil pressure using a non speced weight then yes, run what the engine was designed for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back