LC20 and FP60 no longer in vogue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Likely so. Why would you be worried? LC will help prevent oxidation, which can be an issue with plant based lubes.

G-oil Beef Tallow based.

So is that better/worse? Might make sense to do the research.

I use Lc20 in several cars and diesels. The Lexus, sludge prone, get great #'s use it with over 14K miles drains. Maintains the TBN, low wears etc. Low the stuff.

Diesels are way but wear results come back 30 to 40% lower using it.

I would never NOT use it. It makes, for me, Amsoil go 25K on (1) oil change.

I've been using them as long as forty years (back when it was MICROLUBE). While the fuel additive is newer, LC-20 seems to keep problems away. I haven't bought any recently, but need it. It also makes the best penetrant I've found (thank you, Molakule, for that recipe).

Took my FIL's old Winchester (mid-1950's) for which I had no plans. Quite a bit of surface rust from sitting around in a closet; cosmetic. Don't know anything about the maintenance (but lightly used, tight action). Cleaned it in an ordinary manner and finished with a wipe-down with LC-20/#204S. Forgot about it. Opened the soft case after about two years and was surprised to find all rust gone. Bluing glowed. You should understand that I didn't care when doing the work. I just did with it what I would have done with a number of tools, and this recipe always works well. (Add some acetone for the nasty rusted fasteners).

Handy stuff. I believe they do what they say they will. On some of the 6-7 vehicles with an accumulated 300k miles I've used them on (to forty years of age), mpg improved. On others, no difference. My 1973 Jacobsen lawn mower was still running well (after a lot of pulls) when I gave it away in 1999. Plenty of those little cans of Microlube went through there to offset the hours of huge yards cut as a teenager, and then for years wtih several other family members before I got it back.

Had to re-tune one of the cars as the idle was too high once I was using FP-60 in it. Oil consumption didn't change, and on the oldest it decreased under hot, hard highway use. Oil analysis on another showed better numbers using it (after ARX) and a lifetime of synthetic. I used REDLINE on that car, and wanted a no-compromise 8-10k OCI. (Intervals were very short time-wise).

Odis Beaver is always a pleasure to deal with, and the guys who now own LCD have always been the same. I've had consistent performance.

Last edited:
I can assure you that LCD products contain no stoddard solvents.

The FP60 is the older fuel formula, while the FPPLUS is the newer fuel additive formula with a special biodegradeable cleaning ester that also serves as a UCL.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule

The FP60 is the older fuel formula, while the FPPLUS is the newer fuel additive formula with a special biodegradeable cleaning ester that also serves as a UCL.

Thank you, Mola.
thumbsup2.gif

I am going to have to place an order soon, as I'm out of FP Plus, and down to 16 oz. of LC20.

Yup! Thank you Mola for clarifying this for us BITOGers.

Q.

I've been using LC20 & FP60 in my 1996 Contour & 2002 F-150 since about 2004. From experience LC20 seems to keep the engines cleaner and even helped stop a sticky valve in my F-150, a known problem in early PI heads on the rear cylinders. My Contour and F-150 run smoother and better with FP60, don't know why. As a bonus I started using FP60 last year in my fuel oil tank for my home boiler. The repair tech said that this year all my filters were clean and there was no carbon build up. This was a first in 30+ years. Both work for me and are worth it.

Whimsey

Hopeful that biodegrading isnt why my fpplus bottles are imploding upon themselves.

Just finished a quart of each LC20 and FP60. I've been using it off and on for about 2 years now.

Thinking about ordering a gallon of the new Fuel additive for Christmas.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Hopeful that biodegrading isnt why my fpplus bottles are imploding upon themselves.

Funny, but it was actually my LC20 gallon jug that did the meltdown thing over a long time span, NOT my FP Plus gallon.
21.gif

I'm considering a gallon of the FP Plus but have procrastinated because of the price...worth it but pricy even considering the small add amounts. I am using the LC20 which I recently ordered.

I have been using LC 20 and fp and fp + for a few years and am happy with their performance. my rides idle smoother and you can tell if you dod not have it in the tank. one of them I got rid of the ping that did not want to go away, no matter what I tried . I use to use top tier grade gas but now can use 87 with no ping, that alone is worth it. have used the LC 20 in mu ocis in my oil and the engines are very clean inside. if anybody is not using their stock of FP or FP + and want to part with it drop me a line and I will buy it from you, whether it is a pint a quart or a gallon.

maven: The FP Plus is the more robust product... I think I have read that it incorporates a soy based additive...

Which if you keep up with the information on biodiesel,which has been proven to have excellent cleaning and lubrication properties... Way better then most off the shelf additives... Soy is a big growing part of the biodiesel world... Thus the growing popularity of SoyPower Diesel Additive...

Does the fact that FP plus "sucks in" the bottles that it is present in (including LCD-provided bottles) indicate any storage issues over the long run and/or volatility of specific compounds that may prove to reduce the efficacy for product that sits and is not used for a long time?

I've been using LC20 and FP-Plus (FP60 before that) in my 1995 Civic for at least five years now on a very regular basis; I can probably count the number of tanks skipped with FP on one, maybe two hands. I have no question that both have helped keep it in great running shape.

It's also getting time for me to stock up again...

Quote:
Does the fact that FP plus "sucks in" the bottles that it is present in (including LCD-provided bottles) indicate any storage issues over the long run and/or volatility of specific compounds that may prove to reduce the efficacy for product that sits and is not used for a long time?

The only time I have seen a bottle suck-in is when they get cold sitting on the garage floor.

In the long term I have never seen any light compounds diffuse through the HDPE bottling.

Quote:

The only time I have seen a bottle suck-in is when they get cold sitting on the garage floor.

In the long term I have never seen any light compounds diffuse through the HDPE bottling.

If they are volatile, they could diffuse and flash off, leaving no trace.

I cant believe the CTE is so high that these bottes change so. Ill post a pic later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back