AMSOIL - Signature Series 5W-20 Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
E-mail and ask them
wink.gif
They don't make it a habit of paying for manufacturer certs.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
Whats wrong with M1? Less expensive, readily available, NO SHIPPING

If you prefer highly refined petroleum at a true synthetic price tag, by all means....Mobil 1 0W-20 or 5W-20 is the lubricant of choice. If you want to compare apples to apples...Mobil 1 EP is very close in price to Amsoil SS. Mobil 1 main line being a bit less of an investment.

Signature Series 5W-20 ($7.85 dealer/preferred customer cost) does not contain any refined petroleum "hydrocracked" base stocks. Regardless what other prefer to believe here, I have gained mpg switching from Mobil 1 5W-20 (non-EP) to Amsoil signature series lubricants.

Readily available? So what, I can have Amsoil to my door in two business days. Is it so hard to plan ahead?

I will gladly pay shipping to gain lower NOACK, lower frictional coefficient, and improved efficiency. With Amsoil, I'm getting what I am paying for, not paying a premium for "refined petroleum"....pay for the real deal.

When it comes to certifications....I've said this till I am blue in the face. Amsoil refuses to pay the API to certify Signature Series because they do not allow base stock substitutions on true synthetic lubricants. They do not want to be limited to one supplier, as this could potentially disrupt production. If they certify their lubricant using one manufacturers base stock, Amsoil would not be able to switch suppliers without re-certifying the lubricant over again. This is very expensive, and not fair since it is tolerated in the petroleum side of the market. Amsoil SS line exceeds API SN specs by far, but since the API is biased on petroleum base stocks, it's not a fair game for PAO and Esters. Not on the financial side of the equation.

Lower coefficient of friction would go to Mobil 1 0w30 and 0w20. Both are much lighter oils and would be superior to ramsoil in the cold. Toyota 0w20 being the best.

The main difference between amsoil and the other synthetics is slightly higher detergency for longer drain intervals. The SS line is PAO/ester. Good oil, no doubt. It is not possible to know what the base oil compositions is of any synthetic. Amsoil doesn't make or invent any additives. They just market and blend oil.

Mobil 1 EP is guaranteed up to 15,000 miles and still actually meets API SN/GF-5 and ACEA-08. It also has lower sulfated ash. I do think the SS line would last longer than the EP, but it's too early to really know.

There is also a possibility that in extreme cold, Amsoil would not provide the start up wear protection that a Toyota 0w20 or Mobil 1 0w20 would.

Quote:
Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy’s synthetic base stock composition ensures low traction (internal fluid friction) to further contribute to improved engine efficiency.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Advanced_Fuel_Economy.aspx

You are a 100% right I did email amsoil on Sunday and also called them today and they sent in writing a email that states the reason for NO starburst he told me today on the phone that they worked real close to ford and the SS was the way to go for max performance, he said you are not going to do any better then SS. He said it meets and EXCEEDS ford spec WSS-M2945,WSS-M2930 and it would not effect my warranty, He said the reason for no API SEAL is because once it done they cannot change formula's to make it any better, unless they payed for a new API SEAL. IT is not that the oil don't meet the spec it the cost to the consumer for the seal..

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: hpichris
oh how this has turned into a Mobil vs amsoil thread again....great.

My sentiments exactly. I real tire of it.

I know the feeling.

Originally Posted By: hpichris
oh how this has turned into a Mobil vs amsoil thread again....great.
No you have got it wrong, I know both oils or good but will Amsoil SS fine for my new truck because it is not API certified. I found the info I needed .I am sorry for causing problems. It was not to see which oil is better

I have to chime in here and say that the new SS 5W-20 is a really, really impressive-looking oil.

Super, super low NOAK volatility for a 20-wt oil, high TBN, and still really, really good cold-cranking specs.

This oil is complete overkill for almost any drain interval less than about 12k.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back