PQIA Results are in for Major Brand SN/GF-5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks . Wonder if they'll ever do tests for the major brand synthetics ?
wink.gif

Thanks to everyone for the explanation of Antimony as a trace element/contaminant in the Car Quest Dino oil.

I'm still learning and you guys have really helped with your posts.

Cheers.

Did anyone else notice how Kendall being a syn-blend has some of the worst -30* and 40* measurements while the Citgo (only other syn-blend) by comparison was generally better than the rest in that respect?

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks for sharing.

2 points:

1) One of my key objectives with oil would be the lowest viscosity at 40c. In that regard, while PYB is clearly a great oil, synthetic still has an advantage.

2) Related to that point, more and more manufacturers are spec'ing 0W20 or 5W20, these oils being even thinner at start up. Again synthetic wins out here due to being even thinner than dino at startup and providing more protection at the same viscosity at operating temp.

Thus, I think we should really be seeing more testing on those grades as opposed to 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjacket
1) One of my key objectives with oil would be the lowest viscosity at 40c. In that regard, while PYB is clearly a great oil, synthetic still has an advantage.

I like that point. While it's not terribly relevant to everyone, neither is extreme cold starting performance, either. Something that performs well in southern USA ambient starting temperatures is certainly a good consideration for the vast population that lives there.

Originally Posted By: Tom NJ

Yes he did, and enjoyed the Canadian Parliment buildings and the Rideau river locks. He travels all over to pick up oil samples.

This guy has my dream job
grin2.gif

Is it true that the Havoline is the same as Chevron Supreme?

Originally Posted By: hate2work

Is it true that the Havoline is the same as Chevron Supreme?

They are different brands. I don't know the formulations but I doubt they are the same.

Tom NJ

Originally Posted By: odie
Thanks . Wonder if they'll ever do tests for the major brand synthetics ?
wink.gif

i've been waiting for that myself. as someone who always purchases synthetic, these tests are somewhat meaningless to me. i emailed them a while back asking about that and never got a response. maybe if more people lobbied for it they would do it?
21.gif

i would even be happy to donate a couple dollars to get all the majors tested, and i'm sure a lot of others would be willing to do the same.

Synthetics pleeeeeease .
20.gif
. +1 ( especially SHELL full synthetic 5w-30 or 5w-20 or both
Trolling.gif
)

Last edited:
Mobil Super 5000 doesn't have an outstanding additive pack but it is a solid base and the important part is the price is right. You can get this oil very cheap with rebates now.

PC looks great. Too bad we can't get it down here in the US.

I wonder do any locations in the USA bordering Canada actually sell this, you think they might.

I searched PC's website about a year ago, and found distributors in the USA. There were 2 or 3 in Michigan that are within 50 miles of my home.

Originally Posted By: FastGame
Could someone point out whats wrong with QS, because it looks like one of the best to me.

I can't decide if it beats GTX. Did you like that nice shot of boron in the Quaker State? I am running it in both cars now. It's so quiet at times I can't hear the engine running(yay!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back