oil light comes on when braking/cornering

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my 97 Tbird.
(4.6L, 155k miles, MC 5w30 with MC FL 820s filter, usually 7.5k OCs)

whenever i brake (moderate-hard) or corner a bit quickly (only on right turns), the oil light comes on for 1-2 seconds an goes away. Oil is about 0.5 qt low but it hasn't done that before...

Any insights as to what could be the cause? does the sharp movement of the vehicle cause 'sloshing around' of the oil and the sensor briefly detects 'low' oil? if that's the reason i wonder why it didn't do this before...

Otherwise, cars sounds/drives/feels/idles totally normal.

Thanks IA.

I've had that happen on my Malibu too. There's a certain turn on the way to work, and I have to take it just right for it to happen. Believe the oil might have been a half quart or more down, too, like yours.

I take that corner a little slower now.

Had a straight six Nova,and if you drove down a steep hill and brake slightly,the light would come on for a short bit.I figured it was a poorly baffled (unbaffled) oil pan,and just another of GMs mistakes passed onto the unknowing motoring public (the car was a disaster).

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Had a straight six Nova,and if you drove down a steep hill and brake slightly,the light would come on for a short bit.
My dads 76 Camaro with a 250 would do that too.

Hello, My Nova was quite a good car. It was a 1976 and was one of the BIG GM Scandal cars-where Oldsmobile engines were installed in Cadillacs, Chevy engines in Buicks etc. In the case of my Nova a transmission used for European snowblowers was installed. It was a T200-the one with the word "METRIC" stamped into the pan. A T450 installed neatly in its place. The engine ran like a watch. I would pay to have that car back. Kira

Thanks for all the replies.
Will add oil and see what happens...

Overkill: it's just an oil pressure light (idiot type)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back