Pennzoil Ultra 5w30, 2002 Toyota Tacoma, 7553 mile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, to my eye this shows that Pennzoil Ultra runs better in my engine that Mobil 1. The previous sample was M1 5w30. That UOA can be found here:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2247110

Here is my new UOA with Penn Ultra 5w30. As you can see, iron lead and tin went down on this sample. I believe I'll stick with Pennzoil Ultra.

toyota-uoa-E74873.jpg

Last edited:
I like how they highlight 7ppm lead as an issue in the old UOA, with how inaccurate some of their UOA's come out I wouldn't lose any sleep with how large of a margin of error they have...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you should check the air filter/intake system to make sure there is no leak/crack on the system, the silicon is high with both UOA's.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
I think you should check the air filter/intake system to make sure there is no leak/crack on the system, the silicon is high with both UOA's.

+1

Your positive results changing from M1 to PU makes me wonder...for an assembly line to efficiently produce cars fast, Toyota engines built in that year regardless of displacement would likely share the same materials. If your 02 v6 liked PU, would my 02 I4 like it too? hmmmm....

Good results, I find the Tin level odd in the M1 UOA. Where in the heck did that come from??? None on this UOA so who cares I guess. I really like this oil and will be using it soon.

Thanks for posting!

+1 on give the air intake a once over. Are you do for a air filter change. Hope you have a normal media air filter and not a K & N. Have you changed any parts where gasket sealer was used? As always take the Blackstone comments with a huge grain of salt. No TBN?

As soon as I got the other UOA done I replaced the air filter with a Toyota brand one. I made sure it was seated well and that everything was clamped down correctly. This was all done right at the start of this run of PU. I'll double check for cracks, but I didn't see anything before.

BTW, curious, how would you "really" check for an "air box leak" - something similar to the "fog machine" some shops use to find vacuum leaks?

Obviously, if the vacuum is "big enough" it will throw a CEL/MIL in some vehicles.....but not always necessarily.....

Could even be soemthing as stupid as a broken/dry rotten vacuum line....?

Originally Posted By: mrdctaylor
As soon as I got the other UOA done I replaced the air filter with a Toyota brand one. I made sure it was seated well and that everything was clamped down correctly. This was all done right at the start of this run of PU. I'll double check for cracks, but I didn't see anything before.

Some people also put some silicone grease on the sealing edge of the filter. Like disc brake grease.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
BTW, curious, how would you "really" check for an "air box leak" - something similar to the "fog machine" some shops use to find vacuum leaks?

Obviously, if the vacuum is "big enough" it will throw a CEL/MIL in some vehicles.....but not always necessarily.....

Could even be soemthing as stupid as a broken/dry rotten vacuum line....?

I have done it just by looking. In my Suburban I found a missing gasket between TBI and spacer. In Camry I found a temp sensor in air filter box had fallen out. Loose clamps. Cracked anything. Mice crewed anything. Tears in filter. PCV hose cracked.

No, I never detail the engine. All that aside, it sure seems like the PU protects better in the event that there IS a leak. All my wear metals were really good. So it doesn't look like it is causing an issue.

Last edited:
Question - How many OCI's was the M1 used prior to the UOA listed as comparison? I ask because my experience with M1 so far has been a lot of cleaning and suspension (dirty looking oil early in the OCI). Wondering what that impact would be on the UOA.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Question - How many OCI's was the M1 used prior to the UOA listed as comparison? I ask because my experience with M1 so far has been a lot of cleaning and suspension (dirty looking oil early in the OCI). Wondering what that impact would be on the UOA.

All of 'em! ;-)

Bascically, since about 5000 miles on this vehicle and I've always used M1 since the 2nd oil change. I now have 130K miles.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Do you detail the engine? There is silicon in most of those products

You are confusing silicone and silicon. They are two different things.
Silicones are inert synthetic polymers that are commonly used in sealants, adhesives, and lubricants.
Silicon is a metalloid chemical element, better known as sand or dirt.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back