ACEA C3
MB 229.3, 229.5
MB 229.31, 229.51
VW 505.01
VW 502.00, & 505.00
Porsche
BMW Long Life 04

e70933-001.jpg

It shows the viscosity @100c of 14.5 on the Valvoline PDS. I know Valvoline blends good oils, but their add-packs always make me shy away.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
It shows the viscosity @100c of 14.5 on the Valvoline PDS. I know Valvoline blends good oils, but their add-packs always make me shy away.

Is this any different from the other ACEA C3/ VW 505.01/ MB229.51/BMW LL04 low-SAPS oils?

How does this meet VW 502, and MB 229.3/229.5 if it's low SAPS? I wouldn't put this in my GTI and go 10K with it.

This oil's add pack looks very weak , I hope they are adding alot of organic compounds that do not show in a VOA. I know Valvoline oils do very well in UOA's but their add packs discourage their use for me. Maybe I just am crazy but I like traditional add packs in oils, these low numbers scare me off
frown.gif

Last edited:
How does this meet VW 502, and MB 229.3/229.5 if it's low SAPS? I wouldn't put this in my GTI and go 10K with it.

Newer specs meet or exceed the performance of previous specs.

They run 504.00 oils for variable intervals in GTIs...

Originally Posted By: BobFout

They run 504.00 oils for variable intervals in GTIs...

Not in the US.

This isn't a low-SAPS oil. The MST part of the description represents 'Mid-SAPS Technology'. You can verify this with Valvoline if need be.

None of the approval ratings are for low-SAPS fluids either. The only low-SAPS oil Valvoline sells in the USA is their 5W-30 SynPower XL-III. This is a bulk purchase only item but it is available.

...6.3 is TBN that you would expect to see in a racing oil.

Also, the Phosphorous content is low. Blackstone always seems to be ~15% low in reading Phos.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Isnt 229.5 a 20,000 mile drain oil? I know starting TBN isnt everything but....

It's not a blanket "20,000 mile" interval spec. The OCI on MB cars is variable. Supposedly, fuel quality in Europe is better (less sulfur) and thus even mid-SAPs oil like this Synpower can manage extended drain intervals. That is not the case in the US. That is why most German makes advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US if you're going to follow your OLM.

Quote:
This oil's add pack looks very weak

The add pack is weak on purpose. That is the definition of a mid/low-SAPSs oil. The purpose is to make the oil more friendly to modern emission systems, especially on diesel engines.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Gene K
Isnt 229.5 a 20,000 mile drain oil? I know starting TBN isnt everything but....

It's not a blanket "20,000 mile" interval spec. The OCI on MB cars is variable. Supposedly, fuel quality in Europe is better (less sulfur) and thus even mid-SAPs oil like this Synpower can manage extended drain intervals. That is not the case in the US. That is why most German makes advise against the use of such oils in their gasoline engines in the US if you're going to follow your OLM.

Quote:
This oil's add pack looks very weak

The add pack is weak on purpose. That is the definition of a mid/low-SAPSs oil. The purpose is to make the oil more friendly to modern emission systems, especially on diesel engines.

I wonder if that's a primary reason add packs dropped in calcium concentrations from SM to SN API standards?

Wow...it sure looks like some remarkable oil?????

So with this mid SAPS Valvoline Synpower 5w-40, what would be the Oil Change interval in a very hot engine?

With the low TBN in this oil and the "weak" add pack on paper, why would people chose to run this oil in their MB engines?

Are their hidden organic additives that are not showing up for [censored]? What are we missing or to put it straight forward....what is Valvoline not showing us in this oil?

[censored] commented that this is a servicable oil....not much else to write home about.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
With the low TBN in this oil and the "weak" add pack on paper, why would people chose to run this oil in their MB engines?

People with diesel MB engines would choose to run it in order to not cause premature damage to their sensitive emissions equipment. US diesel fuel is now low sulfur if I'm not mistaken, so the TBN depletion shouldn't be all that quick.

As for gasoline engines, most german makes (BMW, MB) strictly advise against the use of such oils outside of Europe due to relatively high sulfur gasoline.

Thanks for your fast response Pete.

So would it be "inadvisable" to use this oil in any engine other than a Diesel MB?

Can this oil be used in Japanese gasoline engines like Honda, Isuzu, Toyota, Nissan etc here in the USA with the low TBN and weak add pack?

Thanks in advance.....

Can this oil be used in Japanese gasoline engines like Honda, Isuzu, Toyota, Nissan etc here in the USA with the low TBN and weak add pack?

You could use it. Just don't leave it in there for 10-15K miles, which is the typical oil change interval on MB, BMW, etc.

Personally, I don't see a point though. You can find M1 0w-40 on sale for $5/quart. It has a more robust add pack and should handle extended drains better.

Now, Valvoline does make Synpower 5w-40 in HST version (better add pack), but unfortunately it's a shop product that only comes in 55 gallon drums.

Originally Posted By: boxcartommie22
i agree with finkle!!the public is getting ripped off!!there is nothing in that and other big company oils!!lol..thats why we have this site to alert people
confused2.gif
-Unless you are running a MB or Sprinter diesel there is really no reason to use this hard-to-find (and relatively pricey) Valvoline oil. In a gas engine there are plenty of better (& cheaper) choices. How is that getting "ripped off"?

Originally Posted By: Thax
This oil's add pack looks very weak , I hope they are adding alot of organic compounds that do not show in a VOA. I know Valvoline oils do very well in UOA's but their add packs discourage their use for me. Maybe I just am crazy but I like traditional add packs in oils, these low numbers scare me off
frown.gif

I tried to locate any UOAs on this Valvoline SynPower 5W-40 on the forum but I've been unable to find any.

During my search I did find some forums, primarily in Europe, who's members really like this Valvoline 5W-40 and run it all the time in gasoline and diesel engines. I guess we will never know what makes these Valvoline oils perform so well but show a weak add pack in their VOAs. It must be a well kept secret and it seems that they have the corner on the market with their "organic" ingredients.

It seems that they have problems with oil consumption with Mobil 1, 0W-40 in Europe and need to add a couple of quarts during their extended oil runs. I don't know if they have the same Mobil 1 that we have here in the USA but this seems to be a common complaint.

During my search I did find some forums, primarily in Europe, who's members really like this Valvoline 5W-40 and run it all the time in gasoline and diesel engines. I guess we will never know what makes these Valvoline oils perform so well but show a weak add pack in their VOAs. It must be a well kept secret and it seems that they have the corner on the market with their "organic" ingredients.

Keep in mind, gasoline in Europe has ultra-low sulfur levels. Thanks to this, oil add packs don't deplete as quickly and that's why it's perfectly acceptable to run mid-SAPs oils such as this Valvoline for extended intervals over there.

Also, when you say that they "really like this Valvoline 5W-40", what exactly does that mean? Have they performed extensive testing to determine that it is better than most other oils? Often times, we may really like something, but can't substantiate exact practical benefits... Many people like AutoRX for example.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back