Mobil 1 0w-20 - 02 Honda Civic Si K20A3, 10k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

ekpolk:
Well Mickey, it's easy to tell someone their answer is wrong without saying why -- what's your explanation??? ....
For what?

All the numbers are well within normal ranges.

In fact, per mile they're within some labs' sample variances.
It's not the absolute numbers themselves, its both the change in the numbers, the direction of the change and the timing of the change. Once again, I did not say, "good heavens, the end is near for this engine. . ." The point I'm trying to make is that with what we know right now, these indications could mean several different things, anwhere from nothing all the way to the beginning of a dangerous trend.

Please take a careful look at my initial post in this thread. I said, "he's showing what could be the beginnings of accelerated wear" (emphasis in original). On the other hand, it could well be nothing at all. Perhaps I should have said that too for absolute clarity. I would have thought that use of the term "could" would have covered it. If it were my car (obviously, it's not), I'd just watch it a little extra carefully for a couple more OCI/UOA before I concluded that all is well using 20 wt in this engine.

EDIT: for full clarity, in the last sentence, I am referring to the particular engine in the particular car we're talking about, NOT the class of engine broadly.

quote:

ekpolk:
..... It's not the absolute numbers themselves, its both the change in the numbers, the direction of the change and the timing of the change. .....

All I'm seeing is that he increased his interval 50% and got less than a 50% increase in wear.

Which number(s) are of concern?

quote:

Originally posted by Mickey_M:

quote:

ekpolk:
..... It's not the absolute numbers themselves, its both the change in the numbers, the direction of the change and the timing of the change. .....

All I'm seeing is that he increased his interval 50% and got less than a 50% increase in wear.

Which number(s) are of concern?

There are several scenarios that are not ruled out on the evidence that appears in Surprise's chart. One scenario consistent with this evidence: it's just normal wear, unchanged from before, but the numbers are a little higher since he went ~2,500 miles further on the last draw than he did before. Frankly, I hope it's that, and nothing more.

Another scenario that is consistent with the evidence in the chart (i.e. can't be ruled out) is that there is more wear going on, for whatever reason. Although relatively small, there is an indication of increased wear in two different areas. Lead, with respect to the bearings, and chromium with respect to the piston rings. In addition, I have observed a strange "non-linearity" of wear numbers, so I'm not willing to just write the small increases off to the increased mileage. On the other hand, neither aluminum nor iron seem to be following this pattern, so that would tend to weigh against this possibility, but you still can't rule it out.

So all I'm saying is that I think this bears further observation before any firm conclusions are drawn, about this one particular engine. I am not recommending a change in oil use, or condemning 20 wts broadly. If it were my engine, I'd watch this for a few more UOA before I made a final decision about whether to stay with a 20 on this car, or go back to a 30.

Again, good job on the format!
smile.gif

I'm been reading the Honda OCI's and have noticed that the thinner oils are doing better with Fe than mine , but then the Pb gets you. Weird Huh?

Nice reports.

Would you happen to have the part number for the "Toyo-Rki" filters your using?
Available from Honda dealers I hope.

[ January 31, 2005, 11:17 PM: Message edited by: Cicero ]

I do not see where the 0W20 did any better then the M1 5W30? I do not see the benifit? Well so far so good on the 20Wt.!

quote:

Originally posted by Cicero:
Nice reports.

Honda part number 15400-PLC-004

Toyo-Roki made, although looks like filtech

Surprise,
Very passionate thread here. I, IMHO, personally think you have a very solid 10k mile UOA, here. Skippin' through everyone's micro analysis, I would suggest that if you didn't post the previous 5 UOA's along side of the last one, folks on here would probably say that your UOA is solid, if not outright outstanding. All wear metals were in the single digits, Si is in single digits, insoluables at 0.3, and TBN is nearly a 5 using BS's "lower" TBN scale after 10k miles w/ 50% city driving in warm California climate that's pushed hard at times w/ 100 deg heat... that's just flatout excellent results compared to most 5k and 7.5k mile UOA on this forum, on a 20w oil nonetheless!

Surprise... you did well, man...very well!
worshippy.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Surprise:

quote:

Nice reports.

Thanks for the help. Local Honda did have them.

However, the parts lady said they weren't for my car and when I ask why not she said they have different threads. I said I did't think that was true. She "got help" and the next parts department person told me it wasn't a good idea to use this on my '04 Accord V6. When pressed on why not, I was told something about the bypass valve pressure being different (higher?) and designed for the S2000's performance. It wouldn't function right on my engine. I really didn't know what to say then. I don't know enough to know if he was correct or not. From what I now see here on BITOG, people use them all the time. Is there something to what they were saying? If I use the 15400-PLC-004 number at online parts sites they always show the same Denso filter number that also replces the OEM filtec xxxxxx-A01's. ???
confused.gif

quote:

quote:

Nice reports.

However, the parts lady said they weren't for my car and when I ask why not she said they have different threads. I said I did't think that was true. She "got help" and the next parts department person told me it wasn't a good idea to use this on my '04 Accord V6. When pressed on why not, I was told something about the bypass valve pressure being different (higher?) and designed for the S2000's performance. It wouldn't function right on my engine. I really didn't know what to say then. I don't know enough to know if he was correct or not. From what I now see here on BITOG, people use them all the time. Is there something to what they were saying? If I use the 15400-PLC-004 number at online parts sites they always show the same Denso filter number that also replces the OEM filtec xxxxxx-A01's. ???
confused.gif

quote:

quote:

quote:

Nice reports.

confused.gif

Without the spec sheets in front of me I can't help too much. But I do know that the 15400-PLX-004 is the honda part number for the s2000 filter. The plc filter seems to work fine for me.

offtopic.gif
If anyone can come up with some of those 15400-PLC-004 filters email me and I'll help take them off your hands!
cheers.gif

Sorry for the hijack...
nono.gif

(Triple flame suit on.) Debating the merits of slightly thinner vs. slightly thicker in a particular engine with relatively low wear metals is pointless, IMHO. Like measuring anything else near the noise floor, it's hard to come to any meaningful conclusions. Unfortunately, I don't think Surprise would entertain the idea of again running the Chevron 10w30, or better yet M1 0w40, to prove my point.

The S2000 filter Honda had was #15400-PCX-004. Toyo Roki, not PLM or PLC. What happens to these filters that they need to change numbers? Are the older ones inferior and they needed to be tweeked? Or is it a cheaper replacement design?

The S2000 filter Honda had was #15400-PCX-004. Toyo Roki, not PLM or PLC. What happens to these filters that they need to change numbers? Are the older ones inferior and they needed to be tweeked? Or is it a cheaper replacement design?

Toyo-Roki made filters:

Honda S2000 filter: 15400-PCX-004
Almost all other Honda: 15400-PLC-004

Different application, different requirements, different filter, different part number.

427Z06,

I believe that almost any oil, of almost any weight would work well in the K series engine. That is why I have no problem in sticking with the oil that theoretically will yield me more power and less fuel consumption.

quote:

The S2000 filter was redesigned to allow more flow I believe, it was also redesigned to match the higher pressures of the engine.
dunno.gif
Or so they said. At first dealers here in Canada were asking almost $30 Cnd for them
banghead.gif
so I had to source a few from the US for a normal price of $5 US. It seems that they have now adjusted the prices and you can get one at a Canadian dealer for $7-10. When I looked at mine, it didn't really seem much different visually.

Surprise, et.al.,

I see, the 15400-PCX-004 is spec'd for the S2000 and I guess is not "right" for my Accord but Toyo Roki filter 15400-PLC-004 would be. Sadly, only the xxx-A01 Filtech is available locally. Denso A6000-116741 is all I see for ANY of the above numbers as cross reference, and that makes me think it is either not right for the S2000 or my Accord V6....or is so generic that it would not be better then the xxx-A01 Filtech I can get now. I'm just trying to find the best filter for my car and thought the Toyo Roki were the best. Thanks to all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back