PYB 5W-30 2390mi 1999 Saturn SL2 1.9L

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA ever done on the car which has 146,020 miles at time of change. Current run of oil was in for six months, from April 1, 2011 to October 1, 2011. Purolator PureOne oil filter and Purolator Classic air filter in vehicle. Prior to the Purolator Classic air filter, I ran a K&N for 11 years in the car. I'm quite pleased with everything.

YYY9k.jpg

Code:
OIL PYB5W30

MILES IN USE 2390

MILES 146020

SAMPLE TAKEN 10/01/11

ALUMINUM 4

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 7

COPPER 1

LEAD 1

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 187

NICKEL 0

MANGANESE 0

SILVER 1

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 0

BORON 67

SILICON 17

SODIUM 5

CALCIUM 2264

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 751

ZINC 914

BARIUM 0

INSOLUBLES 0.3

WATER 0.0

FUEL
ANTIFREEZE 0.0

FLASHPOINT ºF 395

SUS VIS 210ºF 54.6

cSt @ 212ºF 8.66

TBN 4.6

Great looking report. Looks like you can easily go much longer past 6 months. 4k miles sounds about right.

It has already sheared out of grade, though. (barely as it is).

I'd just call it a wash at 6 months and change it now or 'soon'.

Last edited:
I'm going to stick with six month intervals with mileage going no higher than 4000. I'm going to do another UOA on the next change in April to see how the oil handled the winter months. Two oil changes a year seems like a pretty good run to me. I do kinda wish I had kept the K&N filter in there for the UOA. Would have been interesting to see if anything weird showed up.

IMO...you could try a mix of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Dino, 10W-30 and Formula Shell Dino in 5W-30 or PYB in a blended mix of 50/50.

Since the Saturn is notorious for shearing oil....IMO...The Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Diesel Dino, SM, CJ-4 may help with the shearing of your oil while the PYB or Formula Shell, PCMO, are loaded with their add packs.

Originally Posted By: kaervak
I do kinda wish I had kept the K&N filter in there for the UOA. Would have been interesting to see if anything weird showed up.

The only thing interesting would be more silicon. (sorry bad joke)

Two Oil changes a year seems perfect, one before the cold sets in and one before the heat. Though it sheared, it did not cause any problems so I see no reason to try to thicken it up as Mongo suggested (I think it is a good idea sometimes though). I do it because it seems my engine likes the thicker oil and it seems to show less wear, but in your case I would not change a thing (except look for a better air filter or look for leaks.

Excellent!

Originally Posted By: mongo161
IMO...you could try a mix of Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Dino, 10W-30 and Formula Shell Dino in 5W-30 or PYB in a blended mix of 50/50.

Since the Saturn is notorious for shearing oil....IMO...The Shell Rotella, Triple Protection, Diesel Dino, SM, CJ-4 may help with the shearing of your oil while the PYB or Formula Shell, PCMO, are loaded with their add packs.

I have done this in my 2001 Saturn with good results.

OP: Thanks for posting; I'll have to get one done for my awesome Saturn!

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Originally Posted By: kaervak
I do kinda wish I had kept the K&N filter in there for the UOA. Would have been interesting to see if anything weird showed up.

The only thing interesting would be more silicon. (sorry bad joke)

Two Oil changes a year seems perfect, one before the cold sets in and one before the heat. Though it sheared, it did not cause any problems so I see no reason to try to thicken it up as Mongo suggested (I think it is a good idea sometimes though). I do it because it seems my engine likes the thicker oil and it seems to show less wear, but in your case I would not change a thing (except look for a better air filter or look for leaks.

Excellent!

Yeah I don't plan on changing anything. Although I do wish Purolator made a PureOne air filter for my car instead of just the Classic like I'm using. I've used 5W-30 since day one and the last compression test I did showed at least 220 psi in each cylinder. Unlike most every other Saturn out there mine doesn't burn oil, I just have a valve cover gasket leak. It's small enough that I'm not concerned with it at this point but I'll have to change it eventually. The six month schedule was pretty much so I wasn't changing oil in the dead of winter like last year. Once in the fall and once in the spring, no crazy cold weather or snow to deal with. Glad it worked out well for the car too.
laugh.gif
I'm going to be doing another UOA on the winter run of the oil to see how that holds up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back