Coolant suggestions for 1994 Chevy Astro 4.3L

Status
Not open for further replies.
My van has developed a leak on the intake manifold gasket, and new coolant is part of the repair.

What does the BITOG community suggest for this vehicle?

I'm running Peak Global lifetime in my 04 4.3l GMC. Every 3 years just going to do a drain and fill with 60/40 mix.

MY 1996 4.3 Chevy has 270k with Dexcool changed every 3 years. Its really not that picky on fluid as long as you FLUSH out any old coolant IF you change over.

Take care, Bill

Was there not something about this intake manifold gasket issue being caused by using the wrong kind of coolant, or am I off base here?

Originally Posted By: sr17
Was there not something about this intake manifold gasket issue being caused by using the wrong kind of coolant, or am I off base here?

I think you are referring to the intake gaskets that had some plastic in them and the plastic was damaged by 2-EHA which is in Dexcool and Dexcool clones like "all makes all models". Once air got into the cooling system from the damaged gasket, sludge formed (Dex-sludge).

Originally Posted By: Donald

I think you are referring to the intake gaskets that had some plastic in them and the plastic was damaged by 2-EHA which is in Dexcool and Dexcool clones like "all makes all models". Once air got into the cooling system from the damaged gasket, sludge formed (Dex-sludge).

Most issues happen when owners do not follow a regular maintenance schedule and also some faulty radiator caps. Filling the overflow tank a few inches above the hot mark(while cool) also helps prevent any air getting in the system. I would do this with any coolant.

As with all coolants, I would recommmend radiator drain and fills every other year to prevent most coolant issues. Changing out the rad cap every 3-4 years also may help.

My van has developed a leak on the intake manifold gasket, and new coolant is part of the repair.

What does the BITOG community suggest for this vehicle?

Oh, I feel for you brother! Not a terribly fun job, at least not in the driveway in December, at minus whaterver, it wasn't. Realy it's just akward because of the location. Easier to get the manifold in and out with two people, one inside one out.

As for the coolant, I would agree with Bill. Whatever, just rinse it if you're changing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back