ESSO LT 71141

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi I have a 2004 chevy aveo that I want to drop the transmission pan and replace as much fluid as I can on as it has a lot of miles. The manual calls for this fluid (look at the thread title) but I am not familiar with it. I contacted a chevy dealer and the parts guy said to use dexron VI (he seemed unsure). I found online somewhere that says dexron VI is not recommended for chevy aveos....doh! lol. On an aveo forum I found that many use dexron III, but some say it is not the proper fluid. The only other fluid I've found that seems compatible is Pennzoil Multi-Vehicle ATF, where it specifically lists that it is ok to use for this ESSO number. The only other info I have found is that this ESSO fluid is the same as some BMW's, and I contacted a BMW dealer near me and they couldn't confirm this ESSO number with their fluid but he said it sounds like their ATF 1. I'm lost and don't know what to use....any help please?

On sale now at bavauto.com. Put in your car as a 2002 BMW 330ci and search for "fluid".

It will come up at $16/L (on sale).

LT 71141 is the spec for trans made by ZF. They Re typically found in BMW and Audi/VW. The Pennzoil MV ATF will work for you, but typically a true LT 71141 will be fully synthetic. Pentosin ATF1 will work, it's just expensive. If you can find MAG 1 fully synthetic ATF that would be my recommendation. It's $5.50 locally for me.
Valvoline Maxlife says they meet the spec, but the KV100 spec is a bit thin.
Just don't be alarmed if you dump the old fluid and it comes out amber. Esso LT 71141 is not dyed red like most ATF.

Thanks guys. I did find the fluid on bavauto.com. It looks like ESSO is now labeled under Mobil? If I can't find anything else I could order that, just a little expensive...

If I use the Pennzoil MV ATF and change half the fluid every 50k miles(pan drop) do you think I'll be fine?

I looked up the MAG 1 online but it doesn't say anything about working ok for the ESSO number, and I'm afraid to use anything that doesn't specifically say that it is ok.

If the Pennzoil MV ATF seems decent and will work I'd rather use that as it's much cheaper. Unless there's anywhere else I can get the actual ESSO (now mobil?) stuff cheaper? This is just all new to me as I've only had GM's, Ford's, and Chrysler's and all have used dex/merc, Type F, and ATF +4. Thanks for the tip on it not being red. I just gotta make a decision as I've been trying to figure out what to buy for over a week! lol.

If you are set on getting the official Esso fluid, it' only available in 20l containers. Or you can buy it relabeled from a VW dealer for $20/l. Just use the Pentosin ATF1 like I ended up doing the first time I did a pan drop on my Audi. The next time I did more research and chose the MAG1 stuff as it had the same viscosity as the ATF1.
If you go with the Pennzoil, change it more often than you would a full synthetic. You could also go with Amsoil ATF or Redline D4 or Mobil1 ATF, but those are more expensive than the Pennzoil.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've decided to go with either the castrol import multi vehicle ATF or pennzoil multi vehicle atf as they are both locally available and both list that they are compatible with that ESSO number. They are much cheaper as well. I understand they aren't as good, and aren't fully synthetic, but I will just change it every 50k miles, no big deal, these little cars are so easy to work on it'll probably only take me about an hour to drop the pan, clean it, and reinstall... Thanks for all the help.

Maxlife ATF is recommended for this specification and works great! I have been buying it for about $4/qt. Supposed to be a full synthetic fluid.

I'm not sure where the Esso number is coming from as it relates to an Aveo. Is there some documentation somewhere that specifiIcally says an Aveo needs 71141 fluid? Or is it the case that there's a bottle that is OK for an Aveo that ALSO happens to mention 71141 compatibility?

That little number has caused a lot of problems for people over the years.

I'm not sure that the Aveo is going to be as picky as ZF is when it comes to the fluid.

The owners manual for the chevy aveo says only to use the ESSO LT 71141 (and lists another one by TOTAL...but I couldn't find any info on that...)

Apparently the transmission is made by Aisin or something, and is the same/similar as BMW and others, and the ESSO LT 71141 is what is used in those...

Have you check dealer price pour the fluid?

I get the right p/n (from the owner manual) fluid for 7$CAN/L. It is specified on the bottle for the 4HP16 Transmission. (Chevrolet Optra/Epica in Canada, neither on the market anymore...).

Expect the fluid to be clear as new motor oil, even if you drain red fluid from the trans, its OK according to them.

^ the dealer (GM) told me to use dexron VI, and that is NOT the correct fluid per the owners manual, so I didn't listen to them. The guy was very unsure of it too when he told me, and said it is probably the closest thing GM can use to the proper fluid and that's why the computer says to use it...

I called BMW dealers that supposedly had the correct ESSO fluid, and some didn't know what it was, and some wanted $20/qt. I decided to go with the castrol fluid mentioned above from Napa for $5/qt.
smile.gif
It says it's ok to use so I'm ok with it
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back