2002 Subaru Outback H6 Red Line 5w-30 10,197 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vehicle: My mothers 2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean with the H6 3.0 and 4 speed automatic transmission.
Date of oil being placed into service: November 10 2010
Odometer at time of oil change: 109,741
Oil used: 6 quarts Red Line 5w-30
Filter: blue Purolator PureONE PL14459
Top Up: 1/2 quart added at 113,886 miles, which was 4,145 miles into the interval. The oil level was down approximately 1/2 quart when the oil was changed.
Air filter: Purolator, with 6,789 miles on it
Date of sample: September 3 2011
Miles on oil: 10,197
Miles on vehicle at time of sample: 119,938
Oil Analysis Lab: ALS Tribology, Georgia branch, using a NAPA FIL 4077 sample kit.
Previous oil used: Valvoline SynPower 5w-30 SM
Current oil: NAPA synthetic 5w-30 SM

The car is driven about 3 miles to work every day, and 3 miles back, with weekly trips of 35+ miles one way. There was also a ~3000 mile trip to Texas and back on it toward the end.

The air filter was changed with a Performax filter at the time of the oil change. Hopefully it does something about the silicon levels.

The TBN of this oil being completely depleted is very disappointing to me.

2002%20Subaru%20Outback%20LL%20Bean%20H6%203.0%20-%2010197%20miles%20-%20Red%20Line%205w-30.png

Nothing wrong with the results but the oil is spent. RL is not a great short trip oil imo. The main benefit of Redline is shear stability and ability to handle high temperatures. Results are not bad though considering your 3 mile commute.

If you're looking for a longer-drain oil, then I'm not sure Redline is the right choice, though I have seen UOA's that did well on extended drains.

I'd consider switching to something like Amsoil if you want to maintain such high intervals.

Historically Redline generates a lot of wear metals the first few UOAs, because of the suggested "cleaning" effect it had on the engine. The rule years ago was to use it 3 OCI prior to making any evaluation. I surprised this latitude and the guidelines that UOAs are for "trending" has been quickly discarded to hastily condemn the oil.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Historically Redline generates a lot of wear metals the first few UOAs, because of the suggested "cleaning" effect it had on the engine. The rule years ago was to use it 3 OCI prior to making any evaluation. I surprised this latitude and the guidelines that UOAs are for "trending" has been quickly discarded to hastily condemn the oil.

OR, it might have something to do with the <1.0 TBN. I couldn't care less about "wear" metals in most cases.

Absolutely, I'll give you that on the metals, but the tbn is another story, and will contribute to metallic wear, IMO, as it can effect surface chemistry and stability.

Dont know if spring and fall is the right metric, it may actually be gallons of fuel burned. Id use 5k as a baseline and extend from there...

This run of Red Line was probably a one time only thing. I do have enough left for another OCI, but I may just sell it. I'm sticking with less expensive synthetic oils changed at shorter intervals of 5000-7500 miles depending on driving conditions.

Overall, I'm not disappointed with how the oil performed, considering that there was a pretty significant amount of dirt coming in through the intake, there really isn't as much wear as there could have been.

If you decide to sell the oil, let me know. I'd be willing to add to my boutique stash. I currently bought some Amsoil Euro off another member.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Absolutely, I'll give you that on the metals, but the tbn is another story, and will contribute to metallic wear, IMO, as it can effect surface chemistry and stability.

I have a Red Line 5W-50 UOA from a 2011 Shelby GT500. After 2,100 miles...the TBN was already low @ 2.86

Red Line 5W-50 UOA

I really agree...it's unacceptable, unless...could it be something with the base stock choice that would make the test inaccurate?

That OCI is waaaaaay too long for that motor-SOA says any newer H6 motor is good for a 3750mi OCI. While I do think that's more than a bit short, I'd cut it down to 7500mi next time at the least.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Redline is not a good fit for this motor or driving style.

On top of that the wrong RL grade was used which happens virtually all the time when people try RL. The 3.8cP HTHSV RL 5W-30 is a robust, shear proof 40wt oil. RL's 0W-20 (HTHSV 3.0cP) would have been in line the the spec'd oil having a similar viscosity to the previous Valvoline 5W-30 and the current NAPA 5W-30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back