SHC Synthese Technology (Mobil 1 New Life 0W40)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I'm quite sure it has an anti-wear package. After all, you had at least one good UOA with it, according to your spreadsheet. That wouldn't have happened without an anti-wear package.
wink.gif

Sure, it's Group III. It also appears to be half the price of the Group IV oils shown on your spreadsheet. I'd use it and sleep easy. Heck, if it were available here at half the price of Mobil 1 0w-40 or GC, I'm sure it would sell well here, too. It would have been a nice oil for my Audi.

Hi All
I sent an Email to M1 Germany :
Good Morning
can you tell me please if this oil :
http://www.mobiloil.de/Germany-German-LCW/carengineoils_products_mobil-1-new-life-0w40.aspx is Full Synthetic or Synthetic Technologie .
here's the answer :
Dear xxxx

Yes, Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 is a full synthetic oil.

(See attached file: Mobil_1_New_Life_0W-40_FR.pdf)(See attached file:
Mobil_1_New_Life_0W-40_GB.pdf), he gaves the link for France and Uk not Germany Oil
frown.gif

hope helps .

Quote:
Mobil_1_New_Life_0W-40_GB.pdf), he gaves the link for France and Uk not Germany Oil

The origin or you email determines the answer you get.
Look at page 30 of the PDF posted by Tom.

Originally Posted By: Trav

Look at page 30 of the PDF posted by Tom.

'What is the communication strategy?
With the exception of Germany, this reformulation will be invisible to consumers and B2B customers.
• Claims are identical with the exception of some now obsolete or soon to be obsolete claims
• Performance of new formulations are equivalent to current formulations
• Testing is underway to provide read-across of current marketing claims to new formulations
• Review will take place of current marketing literature to ensure accuracy of specific claims to new formulations (e.g. if we quote actual pour point values then this would need to be updated).
• There will be no proactive customer communication relating to this reformulation. However, an internal briefing document and Q&A has been prepared to allow sales to respond in the unlikely event of a customer question.
Due to the unique definition of synthetic in Germany (Synthetic = 100% PAO) this reformulation is visible to the consumer and B2B customers.
• A more proactive communication is being prepared for German use'

Last edited:
Quote:

Who knows. These guy have so much smoke and mirrors in their toolbox it would make most politicians envious.

Quote:

Who knows. These guy have so much smoke and mirrors in their toolbox it would make most politicians envious.
pfft. I would say that the consumer is generally ignorant and filled with unsubstained bias that keeps marketing awake at night.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Quote:

pfft. I would say that the consumer is generally ignorant and filled with unsubstained bias that keeps marketing awake at night.

If that were true we'd easily be able to find all of this info.

Yes, but let me to show some evidence, that M1 0W40 is quite good lubricant: it has still high moly content after almost 10,000 miles in a turbocharged BMW and well amount of boron:
UOA / VOA of M1 0W40

Last edited:
Have no problem with Mobil 1 as far as quality goes i use the 0w40 and the 0w30, its good stuff. Like i said in my postings its not about if its good quality or not.
I don't need to be convinced its a good product. Your question was "is SHC Synthetic Technology full synthetic oil, the answer is no it isn't under one European law and in other countries where a high end or reworked earth oil can be called full synthetic it is.

That's not to say the refinements they made to the base oil are not worth a premium, i believe they certainly are but i also don't believe they should command the same retail price as the PAO base stock version it is replacing that cost quite a bit more to produce by their own admission.
I don't buy Mobil products in Europe simply because i feel like i am paying to much for the product and there is a lot of high quality similar oils priced sometimes at half the price and true PAO oils at the same or less, but in the U.S. they are priced in line with competitors products and i have no problem whatsoever buying it.
BTW This argument is not limited to Mobil.

I don't buy Mobil products in Europe simply because i feel like i am paying to much for the product and there is a lot of high quality similar oils priced sometimes at half the price and true PAO oils at the same or less...

My feeling is the same from price point of view. 'Real' full synthetic even expensive like Mobil 1. If I regard min. 10,000 km OCI (or 15,000 km OCI in my board computer) then this amount of money is worth to protect a premium car.
I had a chance 2-times to visit your great country (USA/CAN border, Niagara Falls and later Florida): you take much care on cars like we, however the spareparts, oils, etc. less expensive like here. USA is a real amusing country from automobile perspective!!!

Last edited:
GpIII. The SHC stands for Synthetic HydroCracked.

The SHC trademark predates the Group III oils by about 2 decades.

It was trademarked in the US by Mobil in December, 1976.

According to “Synthetics, Mineral Oils, and Bio-Based Lubricants – Chemistry and Technology” (CRC Press, Boca Raton FL, 2006):

“Mobil also pioneered PAO-based industrial lubricants with its line of Mobil SHC products.”

If you query the ExxonMobil product files for the USA, you’ll find over two dozen entries:

Mobiltemp SHC Series products are supreme performance antiwear greases primarily intended for high temperature applications

Mobilith SHC Series greases are supreme performance products designed for a wide variety of applications at extremes of temperature

Mobil SHC Grease 101 EAL and 102 EAL are supreme performance greases designed specifically for applications which are environmentally sensitive

Mobil SHC Grease 68 LT is premium quality lithium complex grease fortified with antiwear and extreme pressure additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, and antioxidant

Mobil Aviation Grease SHC 100 is a supreme performance synthetic grease which combines the unique features of a polyalphaolefin (PAO) synthetic base fluid with those of a high quality lithium complex soap thickener

Mobilgard 1 SHC by ExxonMobil is a supreme performance, synthetic diesel engine oil specifically formulated to address the needs of high power, distillate fueled diesel engines

The Mobil SHC Polyrex series of greases are specifically designed to improve your productivity by solving high temperature lubrication problems in both general industry and food processing applications

Mobilith SHC PM greases are supreme performance products designed specifically for severe paper machine applications, including extreme temperature environments and exposure to different qualities of water

Mobilgear SHC MT 68, a premium performance, fully synthetic marine gear oil is designed to provide optimum equipment protection and oil life even under extreme conditions

Gargoyle Arctic SHC 200 Series are fully synthetic, supreme performance lubricants, specifically designed for use in refrigeration compressors and heat pumps

Mobil SHC Grease 460 WT is a supreme performance product especially suited to exceed the demanding requirements of wind turbine applications at extremes of temperature

Mobil Gargoyle Arctic SHC NH 68 is a fully synthetic lubricant, specifically designed to lubricate refrigeration compressors in high performance plants using ammonia as the refrigerating fluid

Mobil SHC 600 Series lubricants are supreme performance gear and bearing oils designed to provide outstanding service in terms of equipment protection, oil life and problem-free operation enabling increased customer productivity

Mobil SHC Cibus Series lubricants are supreme performance hydraulic, compressor, gear and bearing oils designed to provide outstanding equipment protection, long oil life and problem-free operation in the food and beverage processing and packaging industries

Mobil SHC PM Series products are supreme performance synthetic lubricants specifically designed for the most demanding industrial paper machine circulating systems

Mobil SHC 500 Series oils are supreme performance hydraulic oils formulated from synthesised, wax-free hydrocarbon base fluids combined with a carefully engineered super-stabilised additive system

Mobil SHC PF 462 - Formulated with perfluoropolyether that has been thickened with polytetrafluoroethylene, Mobil SHC PF 462 is a long-life, severe-service grease for bearings, valves, seals and other applications that require oxidation stability and lubrication performance at high temperatures

Mobil SHC Cibus 32 HT is a fully synthetic high performance heat transfer oil intended for use in closed, indirect heating installations where NSF H1 and HT1 registered lubricants are required

The Mobilgear SHC Series lubricants are supreme performance heavy-duty gear oils primarily designed for all kinds of enclosed gearing as well as plain and rolling element bearings

The upgraded Mobil SHC 600 Series lubricants are supreme performance gear and bearing oils designed to provide outstanding service in terms of equipment protection, oil life and problem-free operation helping to enable increased customer productivity.

Mobil SHC Gear Series is a line of supreme performance, fully synthetic industrial gear oils designed to provide outstanding protection of gears and bearings, extended oil life even under extreme conditions, helping to enable problem-free operation of equipment and increased customer productivity.

Mobilgear SHC XMP Series supreme performance, fully synthetic industrial gear oils designed to provide optimum equipment protection and oil life even under extreme conditions

MOBIL SHC GEAR 320 WT advanced wind turbine gear lubricant is a fully synthetic industrial gear lubricant designed to provide optimum equipment protection of wind turbine gear boxes and Lubricant life even under extreme conditions.

The Mobil SHC Gear 1500, 3200, and 6800 lubricants are supreme performance heavy-duty gear oils primarily designed for all kinds of enclosed gearing as well as plain and rolling element bearings.

The Mobil Rarus SHC 1020 Series is a line of supreme performance oils primarily intended for the lubrication of severe duty rotary screw and vane air compressors.

The Mobil SHC Gear OH Series lubricants are supreme performance heavy-duty gear oils primarily designed to lubricate enclosed gearing as well as plain and rolling element bearings in off-highway equipment subject to shock and heavy loading.

Mobilgear SHC 22M and 46M are supreme performance ultra high viscosity synthetic lubricants designed specifically for use in heavily loaded, low speed gears where boundary lubrication conditions often prevail

Mobil SHC 800 Series turbine oils are designed specifically to meet the needs of the most severe industrial gas turbine applications with a nominal 10,000 hour TOST life

Don't forget Delvac 1 SHC 5W40 oil which I was able to obtain in the US by having my distributor in Anchorage order a pallet of 11 x 5 gal jugs from a warehous in Illinois. It was mfg'd at an EM place in Egypt!.
No charge for freight, cost me about $32/gal.

Charlie

Charlie,
A new Delvac product will be introduced soon...the info is scarce so far-this is Google translated news from a Dutch site:
Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-30 Advanced
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-30 advanced very soon is part of Mobil Delvac 1 product. The introduction of the new product in Europe is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2011. The introduction of the Advanced Mobil Delvac 1 5W-30 is based on four pillars:
• Leadership in technology
• Worldwide applications
• Ability to energy efficiency
• Outstanding Performance

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-30 uses an advanced state-of-the-art, synthetic, low-metallic formula that represents extremely good protection and thermal stability. It is a big step forward for Mobil Delvac 1, the flagship of the overall CVL products. The new product puts Mobil Delvac a better brand on the map and is a leader in lubrication technology. Moreover, it is also the first product to perfection meets the stringent requirements set by manufacturers in North America and Europe.

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-30 Advanced extends service intervals, greater engine protection and energy-efficient performance. The unique formula provides longer engine life and emissions system. The formula is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy duty machinery that must operate under extreme conditions.

No TDS can be found,however they've prerared a msds:

http://www.msds.exxonmobil.com/psims/Alt...umentFormat=RTF

An upgraded version of Delvac 1 LE 5w-30? A new,"global" one?

LE is an ACEA E6/E4 product. ESP is an ACEA E9 product. I don't know what this stuff would be except maybe an E9/E4?

Charlie

Wondering what is behind the name "new life" and the HydroCracked process. You guys confirmed this is virgin oil right?

Originally Posted By: brandini
That's why I give Amsoil some credit, they state 100% Synthetic on the products that are.

How do you know? Anything can be called synthetic in USA

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Wondering what is behind the name "new life" and the HydroCracked process. You guys confirmed this is virgin oil right?

Here is some fun info for you;

SHC = Synthetic HydroCarbon and has for a very long time as already pointed out.

Oils with group III (hydroprocessed) and group IV (PAO/ester based) are marketed as synthetic in most of the world (and the oil companies will very rarely tell you which one)

Mobil 1 products are a combination of high quality group III (visom) and group IV base stocks produced by ExxonMobil Chemical

The "Ages" label (New life, Peak Life, extended life) are marketing terms that reference the viscosity, additives and intended consumer use of the oil.

New base stocks are coming including VHVI (which I suspect visom is) and GLT base stocks which are derived from Natural Gas. As far as I know ExxonMobil chemical still deals exclusively in group IV and group V base oils (as Visom is not available on the open market).

Base Stocks are important but so are the finished oils technical specifications. Many oil companies use Group III base stocks with additional additives to mimic Group IV characteristics (such as cold flow).

The original question was about the marketing labels on certain M1 products and the truth is the word Synthetic has a very loose definition in most parts of the world. ExxonMobil gets products blended in all kinds of facilities all over the world and some would probably surprise you. Marketers are less concerned with what is actually in the bottle then if they can get someone to pay a premium price for it. And don't be surprised if the blend of base stocks changes for certain regions depending on availability and regulations.

I hope this doesn't offend any of our M1 lovers, or anyone else paying top dollar for a "synthetic" lubricant.

i have read different opinions in this thread..
as a conclusion is Mobil 1 New Life 0W40 pao or group 3?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back