Fram is slipping in the air filter category

Status
Not open for further replies.
I put two Fram air filters in the G37 today. No complaints. They weren't as stiff as the Nissan filters that were in there, but the Frams have way more pleats and the seals are fine.

Originally Posted By: buickman50401
I was shopping for a new air filter for my wife's VW last night. Advanced was closed so I was looking at the Frams at Fleet Farm. $10.50. Not a bad price. Good think I opened the box. Every one of the 5 they had on hand were malformed. Rubber seal with excess flashing, parts of the seal missing from poor QC during molding. Pleats all jacked up on one side where they met the foam rubber seal.

I stopped at ORielly to get a Microguard (Fram made) filter thinking they would be different since they are not constructed quite the same with the MG using a black and slightly thinner foam surround. Same issues on the 2 they had on hand as I saw in the Frams.

I skipped buying one period. Will have to check out the Puros at Advance or order an OEM on line.

I have replaced my air filter several times on my '06 F150 with Fram since I replaced the original at 28K miles. The Frams appear to be a well made filter that comes sealed in plastic bag in the box (made in Mexico). I just took a peek with a flashlight inside the airbox and there was a thin layer of fine dust all over the intake side of the filter air-box. The inside of the throttle body housing was also coated with this fine dust which I carefully wiped clean with a clean oiled shop paper towel. I was genuinely surprised and began to investigate how this dust was making itself past the filter. From the dust pattern, it appears to be seaping past the air filter seal (felt on this application). There was dust all along the edge of the air-box where the filter fits. I don't have an OEM (Motorcraft) filter to compare it to, but I believe the felt seal on the Fram is not thick enough to form a proper seal with the air-box. I have brand new Fram filter in the box and will order a Motorcraft filter to compare them. Don't know how many folks actually check the inside of the air intake past the filter to see if dirt is making itself past the filter, but checking it with a flashlight was revealing. Just an FYI.

I'm really disappointed with fram, I've always thought highly of their engine air filters but now.. not so much. I got this filter from rockauto around 4 months ago and went to install it today. It doesn't sit flush in the airbox, and the felt gasket is peeling off. I'm sure I could use this air filter just fine without any problems, but I'm a little irritated by the imperfections. I can't return it since i cut out the upc for a mail in rebate, so I'm going to call fram tomorrow and see what they can do.

http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/faf/1.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/faf/2.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/faf/3.jpg

http://home.comcast.net/~apexigsx/faf/4.jpg

I see the problem in the last picture.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
I was looking at the Fram air filters for my Mazda3 last week and was impressed with the quality construction. I think the filter was made in Isreal. Maybe some of their filters are made better than others.

I just received a Chinese manufactured Fram CA9997 filter for my Subaru ($7.20 from Amazon) and am satisfied with the quality. Right size, a felt gasket, and decent looking media.

While I'm no particular fan of the Fram "engineered media" end cap oil filter varieties, mostly based on price for construction. Not so with Fram air filters. As show in the link below, I've long used Fram air filters, and the price is right. Satisfied.

http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2304891

Originally Posted By: modularv8
............I just took a peek with a flashlight inside the airbox and there was a thin layer of fine dust all over the intake side of the filter air-box. .........................From the dust pattern, it appears to be seaping past the air filter seal (felt on this application). .....................Don't know how many folks actually check the inside of the air intake past the filter to see if dirt is making itself past the filter, but checking it with a flashlight was revealing. Just an FYI.

When I removed the Wix filter from my Subaru a few weeks ago to install a Fram, I also saw a little bit of dust on the inside of the air box. I did not see any obvious leaks like you did, so I'm not sure how the dust got in. And the UOA results I got yesterday showed only 6 ppm of silicon, and normal aluminum, iron, and chromium. So it does not appear to be a problem.

Last edited:
You just have to test fit them. For air filters I generally use Purolator and sometime Fram filters - some fit like a glove others don't. If it doesn't fit well back it goes for a refund.

i just inspected my Canadian made fram filter on my 2001 jeep wrangler, after 11k miles of off roading and dirt roads it looks great, no dirt got passed the filter that i can see.

i knocked some dirt off of it and plan to run it a few more thousand miles.

the filter fits and seals good, the orange foam rubber shows small signs of wear but nothing major. Im satisfied

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back