SUS viscosity @ 210 F- 65.2
CST viscosity @ 100 C- 11.66
Flashpoint in F- 375
Fuel %- TR
Antifreeze%- 0.0
Water%- 0.0
Insolubles%- 0.3
TBN- 4.0

My goodness, I used to have that car! How in the world have you kept it going?? I sold mine in 1990 and it was running strong but it was really rusted. (I lived in the Bahamas at the time and the salt spray was rough on vehicles).

Anyway, had to put that in there, Iron and lead are a little high but it looks pretty darn good for a vehicle that age.

Can we see some pics???!!

Not bad for a low-use big 1970's engine. Some of that is just corrosion from sitting.

Your Zn and P number seem off the chart - any additives used?

I believe an STP was used. Old formula still with yellow box on front of bottle. That car is driven at least 4 days a week, just only about 2 miles then sits 4 hours before 2 miles return trip. It's my mother's car.
Apparently, that older stuff adds quite a bit to the SM Syntec that was in there.

Last edited:
The short trips also caused fuel dilution, which would be some of the wear, and the loss of viscosity - 10W-40 + STP should be nearly a 50-weight!

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I believe an STP was used. Old formula still with yellow box on front of bottle. That car is driven at least 4 days a week, just only about 2 miles then sits 4 hours before 2 miles return trip. It's my mother's car.
Apparently, that older stuff adds quite a bit to the SM Syntec that was in there.

How many bottles per quarts of oil.

And was it this STP the one you used.

263584b.jpg

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Not bad for a low-use big 1970's engine. Some of that is just corrosion from sitting.

Your Zn and P number seem off the chart - any additives used?
Does that much cause more wear? Where is the cut-off point is what I would like to know.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dvldoc
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler

How many bottles per quarts of oil.

And was it this STP the one you used.

263584b.jpg

I can't see the pic but the one used was the blue bottle with the same yellow box on it as the upper one you posted on the STP thread. Only one bottle was used added to 5 qts of SM Syntec 10w-40. Oil was changed once per year on this car using that regimen since 2002.

This raises a question, your zinc is 2392, both the VOA's I can find for STP in the blue bottle show two different amounts ones probably a latter reformulation 2436ppm for the first in 2005 then a reduction to 1119ppm for the one done in 2010.

The question this raises is that that due to the severe viscosity of the STP in the blue bottle it's actually not fully draining from the motor when you do oil changes and that's why the zinc and phos content are still so high. The Mobil your using should be less than 900ppm zinc.

STP.jpg

a 2008 http://www.ctci.org/gilsgarage/docs/8_STP.pdf but I am sure this is the one without the yellow box.

Because your squecking close to 2500ppm

Last edited:
I suspected that it had been "building up" and convinced the owner not to use it this year. If you look at my 1st UOA on my 78 Granada, you might get a better baseline number of what one use adds.
that car had Castrol HM (SM) 10w-40 with one of the same bottles of STP and I only did it once. I still have a case of those and have been pondering only adding 1/4 bottle(4oz) per OCI just as a ZDDP supplement.

in the 70's And 80's a lot of people used stp including my father and myself i still have 2 1979 cadillac's that still run good using that and 10w40 pennzoil

My FIL had a '77 LTD and if floated away in the '91 Florida Flood(Storm of the Century/History Channel). This gave the real meaning to the term "Land Yacht"

This one's currently at 30k now and using a fill of QS Defy 10w-30. I've also switched it's regimen to OC once a year after winter instead of before winter.
The owner is giving it a bit more of a workout now when driving and I believe it's running better as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back