Favorite SN 0w20? (NOT THE BEST)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is your current favorite of the SN 0w20s? I just purchased a 2009 Honda Civic Sedan with the 1.8L and 21k miles on the clock. I am interested to know what people think will be good.

For the money, the OEM Toyota stuff is hard to beat. Readily available and cheap with very good VI = obvious choice.

My favorite would be Mobil 1 0w20 because it's readily available in 5 quart jugs at Walmart.
I love those big jugs...

Originally Posted By: dparm
For the money, the OEM Toyota stuff is hard to beat. Readily available and cheap with very good VI = obvious choice.

If you can get Toyota Full Synthetic 0W20 for around $5/qt then it is the best buy. M1 0W20 is available at WM in 5-qt jug for $25.xx.

Using Pennzoil Platinum 0W20 in the wife's car. I will be changing mine to the same this weekend (from 5W20.)

Wish I could find Pennzoil Ultra 0W20...they said they were coming out with it.

I started using M1 0-20 last year in the Duratechs and like it a lot. Even after 10K the oil still looks good and does very well on the "One Drop Test".

Originally Posted By: pbm
My favorite would be Mobil 1 0w20 because it's readily available in 5 quart jugs at Walmart.
I love those big jugs...

+1

Mobil 1 5w20 ran pretty good in my 07 Civic EX. UOA @ 7 & 10k miles showed it protecting VERY well and still had plenty of life left to go longer if needed.

Yes
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: dparm

If you can get Toyota Full Synthetic 0W20 for around $5/qt then it is the best buy. M1 0W20 is available at WM in 5-qt jug for $25.xx.

Yes I agree the Toyota Brand 0W-20 is my favorite because it is the lightest oil you can buy on start-up, contains a boatload of moly and is a bargain at $5/L.
But I wouldn't turn up my nose for the 100% ester based and Zn free Fuchs Titan GT-1 0W-20 or Motul 300V 0W-20.

My biggest concern is gas mileage out of this oil. From what I understand, pretty much any oil will be fine in this engine for wear protection and I plan on using a good 0w20 synthetic and using the oil life monitor (warranty). I want to get the best gas mileage possible. I did buy 10 PureOne filters today, with the GREAT deal going on at AAP for them.

I vote Toyota 0w20 as well, that's what I'm running in my R18 equipped Civic. But also keep in mind, it's not SN formula, the Toyota 0w20 only comes in SM (although your 2009 would not require SN, in fact I don't think a new 2012 car would require SN just yet, since it's still a relatively new API spec)

I bought ten quarts of Castrol EDGE w/ Titanium SM 0w20 last night. After that, I am sure I will be using a SN oil. I have two oil changes worth now. I will try the Toyota 0w20 after that.

Oh, and I got it at $5.99 a quart from AAP online and picked it up at the store. Better deal than what it normally would be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back