Mobil Clean 5000 5W30 '09 Subie Legacy 2.5i 8082mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have oils/engines tolerances really gotten this good nowadays? I would never think to go 10k OCIs on my older cars, but being told to do so on my Subaru boggles my mind. I guess I'll try it out.

Untitled-1.jpg

It might be a mix of SM and SN. If memory serves me right....The SN took out the Moly and replaced it with Ti and added sodium for the new formulation.

Originally Posted By: Smokefan1977
I assume this is the SM version? The zinc and Phos levels are much higher then the SN mobil Super 5000 I believe?

Let me see if I have the bottle lying around. This change and the last change were both Mobil 5000.

Last edited:
That is a crazy run for Mobil Clean/Mobil Super 5000, but I'd keep it at around 8,000 for now. TBN of 2 is as low as I'm willing to go.

Silicon is good, but Insols are high for the mileage on the engine. IMO.

Try an EP oil filter instead of what you are using.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
That is a crazy run for Mobil Clean/Mobil Super 5000, but I'd keep it at around 8,000 for now. TBN of 2 is as low as I'm willing to go.

Insolubles are indicative of the oil filter though, not the oil correct?

EP as in Mobil extended performance? I am wary of using non OEM filters because of the bypass pressure spec on the Subaru.

Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh

EP as in Mobil extended performance? I am wary of using non OEM filters because of the bypass pressure spec on the Subaru.

Yes, and probably why Subaru recommends a 7,500 mile interval for normal service. You're probably more limited by the filter than the oil.

Nice uoa!
thumbsup2.gif

-Dennis

Wow. I'm impressed.

I went 6k on what I 'assume' is Mobil Clean (bulk) 5W-30, and I had 6.5 TBN left. Thought it was a fluke!

Guess not.....I may have to go back to this!

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
Originally Posted By: aigochamaloh

Yes, and probably why Subaru recommends a 7,500 mile interval for normal service. You're probably more limited by the filter than the oil.

Nice uoa!
thumbsup2.gif

-Dennis

This is it exactly. I'd try this, go to 5,000 miles and then change your oil filter and drive another 5,000 then re-sample.

If you can remove about a quart of oil by changing out the filter(depending on OEM filter size? not familiar), you may be able to make 10,000 miles between actual oil changes if the oil filter could make it on this setup. I mean, really, you made it 8,000 solidy, on ENTRY level synthetic?

Put any high-end synthetic in there instead and 10,000 is a breeze, of course the hang up is the oil filter(I wish you could have better, frankly speaking).

I wasn't aware of aftermarket oil filters being an issue in your app. I wonder if there is a known High-end oil filter that has proven to work for this engine?

PS: EP basically was referring to any and all of the top-end oil filters, they are all quality. Bosch D+, M1 EP, Royal Purple, Amsoil EaO, etc.

Last edited:
Perfect, I may try switching the filter out and topping off appropriately in the middle.

Also, I thought Mobil Clean 5000 was conventional, not even a synthetic blend, which is why this OCI is crazy to me.
edit: Looking on Mobil's site, Clean 5000 was conventional, and Super 5000 is conventional.

Regarding the OEM filter, it's spec'd with a high bypass pressure, something like ~21 or 26 psi IIRC. None of the aftermarket filters I've seen have specs like that.

And whatever 5W30 I put into this engine thins out about the same for some reason, close to a 5W20.

Last edited:
If it thinned out any more I'd be concerned, but perhaps these engines are 'universally' hard on oil? I'm not familiar with this app.

edit: Pretty sure Clean 5000 is an old label now, Super 5000 should be the same?

Last edited:
Nice report! Sheared some, insols a little high. I'm not sure I'd continue to 10k miles as a result. Great report nonetheless!

Originally Posted By: bodeh6
It thinned out quite a bit. Try 7500 next time.

Why? It probably was thinned out by 3K miles.

These Subaru engines are tough to beat with respect to oil analysis results.

I wish somewhere there was a UOA using Subaru oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Brons2
Good report. This is definitely Mobil Super 5000 SN, not clean 5000. Stick with 8000mi and the same oil.
Based on UOA's, toward the end of Clean 5000, it was the same formulation as the current Super 5000.

Wow, looks really good.
Vis is a little low, but TBN looks pretty strong for having gone 8K.
All of this from an oil that was about the least expensive one on the shelf at Wally's.
XOM does apparently make a pretty good range of oils, and NA Subies are apparently not too demanding of their oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back