Ultimate Compound/Polish and Collinite Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the last week, I've been slowly working on my truck. Hopefully, I can give an honest review of the products I used and there will be quite a few pictures involved of the end product.

I started with washing the truck on Friday night, using Meg's Gold Class wash. Once thoroughly washed and clean, I claybarred it while it was still wet using the suds as lubricant. After it was dry, I parked it in the garage.

Saturday, I started with a test spot. I first used a white pad and Ultimate compound, testing 2 different areas - 1 on the hood and the other on a rear quarter panel. I used several lights, 1 being a large halogen to see my progress. I noted GM clear coats are very hard and ended up switching to an orange pad on my test spots.

Unfortunately, the 4" orange pads create an enormous amount of heat on the pad and surface. I decided to only use the orange pads for problem spots and use the 6.5" white pad for the entire vehicle otherwise.

I spent about 1 hour per panel with my PC 7424 set on speed 5 and white pads. I used Pinnacle's cleaner on them when they got caked up, which they did even when cleaning the pad on the fly with a terry cloth. Needless to say, I went to bed with alot of ibuprofen in my system and didn't finish compounding.

Sunday, I finished most of the panels, except for the bumpers and smaller areas I couldn't get my machine into. I also compounded the glass with a white pad and it removed a good majority of water spots I've hassled with since I purchased the truck in 2006 (it was a year old). I had previously tried a number of other products, including the old fashioned ones like vinegar and newspaper but nothing worked as good as the compound did. I finished the glass off with rainx.

I followed up compounding with ultimate polish. I learned a few things about this product. For one, waiting around 24 hours after compound to apply the polish makes the polish easier to remove. If I compounded, then polished without waiting it was extremely difficult to get off. I recruited my wife to assist me getting the polish off. The stuff it really oily and hard to remove regardless. It does make the paint deeper, wetter looking, but I don't think it was worth the time. I'll never use this product again. I applied it using white pads with different speeds. I first tried 5, then later slowing it down to 3, but nothing seemed to help removal. I stuck with it though and did the entire truck. We used some meg's quick detailer for problem spots and hard to remove areas.

After polishing, Tuesday-Friday of this week (I worked on it after getting off of work), I spent time waxing. I am familiar with Collinite 476 and used it the last 2 times I've waxed our vehicles. Putting it on with a machine is a pleasure compared to by hand. It's still a bit difficult to remove, compared to the 845, but I believe well worth the effort. Paint was a smooth as glass. I waited a few days before applying the 845, which is as easy as pie to put on. I was impressed with the 845, as this is the first time I've used it. It's a keeper, IMO. Speed setting of 3 with red pads from autogeek. The pads seem a bit cheaper than Lake Country pads, but they worked great and they're just finishing pads with no cut.

Also, I used orange pads on my wheels. In the pictures you'll notice I had some pretty bad stains on them. Some of those stains have been on the wheels for years because I couldn't find anything to actually remove them. Ultimate compound took them off in a matter of seconds. I used the PC on speed 6 for this. Be careful to test a spot at a lower speed first. Apparently, the coating on the wheels isn't too thick from what I noticed and could easily make the clear fail.

I had to compound the front bumper by hand. By hand, I could remove problem spots much better than a machine. But, it's tiring work and I'd rather use a machine when I can. This was the first time I used a PC (or any other dual action polisher). I thought it was pretty much idiot proof, which I was glad about!

Here are some pictures:

DSC_0087.jpg

Before:

DSC_0084.jpg

After ultimate compound, 4" orange pad, speed 6:
DSC_0099.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

DSC_0114.jpg

DSC_0112.jpg

DSC_0108.jpg

Dsc_0127-1.jpg

Cleaned up the inside too!

DSC_0105.jpg

My workspace:

DSC_0119.jpg

Excellent work! That truck looks showroom clean!

Agreed the 476 is a bugger to remove. I did our Fit with it last week, and even over top of Duragloss 105 it was putting up a good fight. It's shiny as anything, so it's worth it. I'll have to look into the 845 when my 476 is gone, or I get tired of taking it off!

Thanks for the awesome review. I also love Ultimate Compound and Collinite 845. I have never tried Ultimate Polish and so was interested in what you had to say. I have used either Griot's #3 or Menzerna 85RD (i believe) as my final polishing step. I usually go with Duragloss and then the next day with Collinite.

Looks good and well written too. One size larger to 5.5" with the orange pads would have made correction easier on you. The 4" are unbeatable for spot/small area correction but awful for a full blown truck correction. Obviously a larger backing plate might be required depending on what you have on hand.

Nice work and how well I understand on the Ibuprofen
smile.gif

That garage is perfect! It's all I can do to find my car.

Thanks for the kind words from all of you.

I agree the 4" pads weren't the best choice. I made a mental note to pick up some 6.5" on my next order. I might also try some ironx next time as well.

I have 2 backing plates - 1 is a 3.5" and the other a 5.5"

I imagine the 3.5" might be good for headlights as well as small spot correction. I'm going to give that a try on my parent's neglected lights this weekend.

I just tossed a pic of my garage in there because there was some talk not too long ago about using epoxy on the floor, which is what I did on mine. Lots of hard work on prepping it, but it is worth the effort. I use the carpet to lay on when I'm under a car, which is a bit more comfortable. When I did my compounding and waxing, I made sure to lay out some tarps. I don't like the wax dust getting on the floor because it makes the epoxy really slick.

The PC is not at its best with 6.5" pads. They do work but not nearly as well as 5.5" do. It's just not strong enough to spin the larger pads but has enough muscle for the lesser ones. I speak from experience and I realize this might mean yet another backing plate but the 5.5" pads cost less than the larger ones so it balances out over the long run. It will make your paint correction easier and take a bit less time.......less ibuprofen will be required also.
wink.gif

Thanks for the advice. I'll give them a try. My wife's Accord will be up next, probably in a few weeks.

I understand the paint is supposed to be softer with Hondas. I'll have to test a spot, but I doubt I'll be doing as much paint correction as I did on the truck.

Hopefully, I can go straight from compounding to waxing and skip the polish. If not, what polish is a good one that is easier to remove that you guys would recommend? There seems to be tons of them out there:

http://www.auto-geek.net/charts/wax-chart.pdf

Last edited:
Menzerna Intensive Polish and you can skip the compound unless the condition is just awful. It does wonders on Honda/Acura soft clear coat (& everything else) and will finish out nicely. Use a white pad initially and check your work after several passes. Go to orange if need be for horizontal surfaces. Even with an orange pad it generally finishes out so well you can go direct to sealant/wax. This is assuming you will have the correct backing plate and 5.5 pads by the time you tackle it. After spending a small fortune trying everything this is the one that does what it says. The only time it has gotten testy was during extreme humidity. A spray of quick detailer on the pad every once in a while cured that. Once you use it the hunt is over for polish. I gave away all the others that I had accumulated five years ago and use this exclusively.....it's that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back