Why do the British drink warm beer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found this on another forum. No offense (or offence) meant for our Aussie, New Zealand, and British members. I thought it was a cute play on Lucas Electrics, aka the "Prince of Darkness".

Q: Why do the British drink warm beer?

A: Because Lucas Electrics makes their refrigerators.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You do realize you're dating yourself.
By def'n one has to be of a certain age get the joke!

Or a car nut who follows LeMons and ChumpCar racing, and loves watching UK version Top Gear when they try to glorify British cars of that era!

Do the British like any drink cold? I think I heard some of them even like their soda warm. And I think they drink hot tea and not ice tea.

I still LOL at those jokes even though they are 50 years old.

They don't really drink "warm" beer they just don't drink it freezing cold. It's because they drink beer with flavor, a frozen Pabst has no flavor.

I've been hearing/telling this joke for 20 years, and usually follow it with 'how come the British don't make computers? because they couldn't figure out how to make them leak oil'

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
You do realize you're dating yourself.
By def'n one has to be of a certain age get the joke!

Oh, I get it. But then again, I had a '78 MGB. So I really get it!
grin.gif

Last edited:
The quotation "A gentleman does not motor about after dark." has been attributed to Joseph Lucas in response to people complaining about the poor quality of his companies Head lamps!
But Lucas probably was not the worst, another company 'Clear Hooters Ltd' actually could make a light switch that could explode!!

The Beer is not warm! many traditional recpies pre-date refrigeration, they are Cask Conditioned, have 'live' Yeast, are not pasteurized and are not Carbonated, the bubbles in the beer come from the natural fermentation process. The Landlord of the Pub will go to great lengths to store and monitor the beer until it is ready for sale, then it may be hand pumped (not propelled by co2) into your glass. Think of it as a good Wine v 'Night train express'
You want to taste the fullness of the beer, not cover it up!
Of course, you could also get a frozen Bud light, But it would not be a substitute on a cold day for something like 'Theakstons Old Perculiar' or this: http://www.wellsandyoungs.co.uk/home/our-beers/ales/young-s-winter-warmer

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sciphi
Or a car nut who follows LeMons and ChumpCar racing, and loves watching UK version Top Gear when they try to glorify British cars of that era!

They NEVER try to glorify the cars of that era...

I think there's a sarchasm if you think that.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: sciphi

They NEVER try to glorify the cars of that era...

I think there's a sarchasm if you think that.

It's funny watching them approach these old cars with rose-colored glasses and then see the cars fail miserably. Love it! It's sarcasm at it's finest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back