Pics of 9 FL400s/PL20195 variants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, someone in another thread had some confusion about this filter type and its variants, so I promised some pics. Here they are! Sorr thy are cell phone pics... wifey is always hiding our good camera somewhere new! (She's lost two already. :-(

Anywho, these are just basic pics and pretty self-explanatory. The first six filters are all Bosch/Purolator in manufacture; the last three are premium Champion Labs filters

2011-08-30_08-17-01_422.jpg

2011-08-30_08-18-17_789.jpg

2011-08-30_08-22-45_368.jpg

2011-08-30_08-23-31_433.jpg

2011-08-30_08-26-03_866.jpg

2011-08-30_08-27-23_571.jpg

Where is the Wix/NAPA-Gold? It might have the appropriate Ford-specified base end bypass valve, which I only see on the Motorcraft in the photos.

Also, you likely can run FL1A instead of the FL400s. I have done that on my '92 Aerostar for the past 60,000 or so miles. Last time I bought a Wix for the FL1A application it had the correct base end bypass valve location.

But now I use Baldwin for everything but the Mountaineer, which gets Motorcraft because the Baldwin for that engine does not have the correct bypass location.

I never really shop at my local NAPA, and they also don't participate in the filter sales that go on every now and then. I don't pay full price for anything. Excepts the RP filter from PB, which I used a gift card to purchase.

I tried the FL1A in the MKX, but it's a no-go with the back of the compressor being right beside the filter mount.
smile.gif

I'm a fan of the Motorcraft "S" filters. My F-150 uses the FL-820S, which I can get for about the same price as the Fram or Purolator Classic at local stores. The FL-820S, of course, has the silicone ADBV and the Ford-approved bypass location. A truly excellent $4 filter.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wonder if I can run a FL400s or variant on my 11 2.3 DOHC instead of the Fl910S. same base dimensions?

Is your 2.3 the same engine as my 2.3 Fusion? My Fusion uses the cartridge filter.

The north south truck motor uses a spin on fl910s - supposedly same base dimensions and bypass? Just more filter area? Want to run in the winter.

I haven't looked up the specs but yes, it appears that the FL910s is the FL400s' midget brother, based on a side-by-side comparison.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I wonder if I can run a FL400s or variant on my 11 2.3 DOHC instead of the Fl910S. same base dimensions?

Yes you can. The fl-910s and the fl-400s have the exact same dimensions and specs (including the bypass valve pressure), except of course for the length of the filter itself.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
now cut them open ^^

Haha!
smile.gif
While I really appreciate the folks that pop open brand new filters for us to see, I'm just not that guy. I may start opening up some used filters someday, though.

There exist photos of all those variants cut open. If there was a new odd duck - and unknown quantity - I might cut a fresh one before running it - OTW its after service. Oh, I did that, I cut open a new jobber grade Federated/Hastings oversized x-ref for a toyota and then vowed NEVER to run that on my car.

Nice ... I could use any one of those on my '05 Tacoma V6.
thumbsup2.gif

Currently using the PureOne PL20195 but might consider others in that line-up.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Where is the Wix/NAPA-Gold? It might have the appropriate Ford-specified base end bypass valve, which I only see on the Motorcraft in the photos.

Wix 51516/ NG 1516, yes it has a thread end bypass. I use these sometimes as an oversize filter for my truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back