05 GDB STI Amsoil AFL 5w40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loi

2678 miles: Royal Purple 5w30 during winter. Normal driving.
6500 miles: Amsoil Euro 5w40 AFL. Normal driving and mostly highway commuting. Was stuck in the middle of nowhere in Iowa and ran Amsoil Series 2000 octane booster. That made my oil shear down to a thick 30 weight.
6142 miles: Amsoil Euro 5w40 AFL. Autocross and spirited driving. Took car to redline most of the time during this change interval.

Currently using Royal Purple 5w40. Will post up my UOA in about 3 months.

E68826edit.jpg

Reactions: a5m
Your engine is being protected, but I would expect more than 6-8 K out of Amsoil. Are you happy with the report? Have you tried Mobil 1 0w40? or any others with simular or better results? Looking forward to the Royal Purple results...nothing like a little trial..LOL

Amsoil AFL is a low SAPS oil and it really isn't made for extended OCIs. I am pretty happy with the outcome of the UOA. I was hoping to get lower iron levels.

I have not tried Mobil 1 0w40 but I have heard great things. This UOA tracks every single oil change since I purchased the car in January. All 3 UOA is using a K&N drop in filter and Purolator Pureone Oil filter. I just switched to a Zero Sports intake and oil filter and will see the outcome in the next UOA.

Last edited:
If your si doesn't drop with the Zero/Sports intake, I would try an Amsoil Ea panel. My si has been lower on the Amsoil than with a stock filter.

IMO, the Amsoil did well for a low vis/low-SAPS oil in an STI. Are you planning on a couple of runs and uoa's with RP? There's not much data on it in Subaru turbo's (especially the 5W-40).

-Dennis

Yessur. I plan on atleast 2 oil changes with the RP 5w40. I bought a case from Amazon for an awesome deal. The reason I got the Zero/Sports panel filter is because it is of the dry type. I noticed with the K&N my intake pipe had a light film on the inside.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
If your si doesn't drop with the Zero/Sports intake, I would try an Amsoil Ea panel. My si has been lower on the Amsoil than with a stock filter.

IMO, the Amsoil did well for a low vis/low-SAPS oil in an STI. Are you planning on a couple of runs and uoa's with RP? There's not much data on it in Subaru turbo's (especially the 5W-40).

-Dennis

And RP 5w-40 is all SL still, right? OR was this newer 5w-40 formulation?

Insols spiked a tad, air filtration looks great conversely.

Nothing terrible, just a spike. What are you using next? Another RP run? Oil filter used?

Royal Purple's line of 5w40 is API SM. This UOA shows that Royal Purple 5w40 does not shear easily like their 5w30. I will be using Royal Purple 5w40 for my next interval. I'm hoping to go 6500 and see if iron and copper will settle down. This also proves that Royal Purple works fine with Subaru turbo engines.

I'm using a Zero/Sports Dry type panel filter and Zero/Sports SP magnetic oil filter with a magnetic oil drain plug.

How many miles total on the car?

I have great fear the turbo is headed south. Looks familiar unfortunately. Most wouldn't consider an increase to double digit copper to be significant, but it was all the warning I got. I hope I'm wrong but...

If you're lucky, maybe the elevated copper is just from RP's interaction with your oil cooler. What are the details of the tune? Cobb or open source? Most protuned cars have the best uoa results. The best uoa that I've seen on the Subaru oil was in a protuned WRX. It was even better than a uoa from an n/a Outback!

-Dennis

This is a Cobb AP Stage 2 OTS tune 91 octane. 68k miles on the car. This time I ran a Zero/Sports SP magnetic oil filter for the whole duration of the oil interval. The magnetic oil drain plug showed very little amounts of iron stuck to it. You can tell the Zero/Sports panel filter really brought the silicon levels down.

Previous UOA's I've changed the oil filter at 3k miles with Purolator Pureone filters.

REDDOG- What are the symptoms of the turbo going out? This is my commuting car and I always let it warm up a minimum of 5 minutes before driving and let it idle about 45secs after turning the engine off. I haven't been boosting it much lately since its winter time. I don't see any signs of poor performance at all.

Looking back there may have been a slight power decrease right before but otherwise no warning other than the UOA. I wasn't driving when it ley go. In my case the impeller shaft seized and snapped off so the impeller was bouncing around-really ugly. The Subaru dealer said a whole new engine was needed-7900 bucks. (This was a Legacy GT). I said "Yeah right" and had the Turbo replaced by a local shop. I've got around 6K mi on the replacement unit so far (with no screen!) And so far so good.

I hope as Dennis says this is a temp result of the switch to RP!

I blew a turbo with only 20k on it. The only elevated wear in the previous uoa was that lead increased to 10. It wasn't enough for the lab to even mention. One morning I heard a ticking sound and thought it was the oil filter. What I didn't know was that it was a clogged turbo oil screen. A couple of hundred miles later i got a P0011 and P0012 and lost boost shortly after that.

My dealer convinced me to keep the screen in because the benefits of keeping it in (blocking debris) outweighed the benefits of removing it. Now I don't go over 6k on any oil when I was doing 7-8k in the past.

-Dennis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back