Fram/Champion Labs Consolidation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just some industry info to pass along. UCI, who owns Champion Labs and Honeywell consumer products(Fram) have both been bought by a private company called The Rank group. This company will be merging the filter operations of Fram and Champion together and there will be plant closings on the Fram end. This merger could improve or lower the quality of filters, my guess it lowers it. Anyway, this company is now a major player in the filter market.

Filters are a commodity now, I would say in five years 90% of them will be made in China. Affinia(Wix) just opened a factory in China.

Keep buying Purolator, at least for now. 100% made in USA for the oil filters I believe. Shoot, 100% made right here in North Carolina.

this news is not good for filter manufactures!

and i don't even use fram or the e-core! (purolator exclusive user)

i hope purolator can compete!

I am sorry to see jobs lost here and American manufacturing shipped overseas. I guess it's a reality in today's world but I still don't like it.

I think it's time to stock up on Purolator oil and air filters before they get outsourced too. Maybe use one of the online discount codes at Advance and buy up a bunch of good quality American-made filters for future use. I still have 3 Puro Classics and 2 Carquest Red Label filters in my stash.

I should add to my oil stash too before it goes sky high. In today's world economy you never can tell what will happen from one day to the next.

I don't really car what happens with Fram or all of the cheap Champs (Supertech, STP, etc) but what I DO care about is what happens with my M1, K&N, and RP filters. I hope these don't get downgraded, becoming simply another [censored] filter in a box with a good name printed on it.

And yes, depending on how this goes I may turn into a dedicated Purolator/Bosch man.

Originally Posted By: musicmanbass
I don't really car what happens with Fram or all of the cheap Champs (Supertech, STP, etc) but what I DO care about is what happens with my M1, K&N, and RP filters. I hope these don't get downgraded, becoming simply another [censored] filter in a box with a good name printed on it.

And yes, depending on how this goes I may turn into a dedicated Purolator/Bosch man.

Kind of makes you wonder if Wix didn't have some inside info. Seems like a perfect time to introduce the Platinum filter line to compete with the M1/K&N/RP clones. No doubt people in the know will have the same thoughts as you, such as, will the quality deteriorate or change?

As for M1 filters, I don't believe you will see any down grading in quality of their filters, no matter who makes them.

Time to buy German. At least they know how to keep manufacturing in their own country. This kind of [censored] drives me bloody nuts.

Purolator/Bosch it is I guess. Oh, and of course Mann, Mahle..etc
wink.gif
They may not all be made in Germany, but all of the ones I've bought have at least never been made in China.

The purchase of Fram and Champ by Rank has been posted here several times previously. While I've seen nothing (reference) regarding the consolidation of both companies manufacturing facitities, it wouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

As for Purolator, now that they are jointly owned by Bosch and Mann&Hummel, many Bosch and Mann oil filters are currently being made in the Purolator oil filter manufacturing plant in NC. How that will continue is anyones guess, hopefully a long time.

As for the future quality of the Fram/Champ oil filters, who knows? One thing I don't see is any change, (ie. improvement) in the construction of the orange can or the ecore.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
The purchase of Fram and Champ by Rank has been posted here several times previously. While I've seen nothing (reference) regarding the consolidation of both companies manufacturing facitities, it wouldn't be a surprise I suppose.

As for Purolator, now that they are jointly owned by Bosch and Mann&Hummel, many Bosch and Mann oil filters are currently being made in the Purolator oil filter manufacturing plant in NC. How that will continue is anyones guess, hopefully a long time.

As for the future quality of the Fram/Champ oil filters, who knows? One thing I don't see is any change, (ie. improvement) in the construction of the orange can or the ecore.

The Purolator/Bosch/Mann arrangement is fine by me given the location of the manufacturing facilities. The fact that Purolator is able to produce filters in North America, sell them at the price they do, and still turn a profit speaks volumes about the companies selling us out to the Chinese.

We can make them here. We can employ Americans to do this work. We CHOOSE not to, because consumers here shop on price and don't care if they are selling their souls to the Chinese to increase those company's profits... As long as they get a "good deal".

First-world nations around the world are successfully manufacturing things we have long ago outsourced to China.

Originally Posted By: tig1
As for M1 filters, I don't believe you will see any down grading in quality of their filters, no matter who makes them.

of course not, it's M-1 !!

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: sayjac

The Purolator/Bosch/Mann arrangement is fine by me given the location of the manufacturing facilities. The fact that Purolator is able to produce filters in North America, sell them at the price they do, and still turn a profit speaks volumes about the companies selling us out to the Chinese.

We can make them here. We can employ Americans to do this work. We CHOOSE not to, because consumers here shop on price and don't care if they are selling their souls to the Chinese to increase those company's profits... As long as they get a "good deal".

First-world nations around the world are successfully manufacturing things we have long ago outsourced to China.

+1. great point, OVERKILL

I agree. if the mobil1 filter's quality is reduced because of this, i doubt XM will keep their name on it and call it a top tier filter. but hey in this day and age they could just stoop.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
if the mobil1 filter's quality is reduced because of this, i doubt XM will keep their name on it and call it a top tier filter.
The big question is how would anyone know if the quality was reduced? Obviously WE would, but since we're a tiny fraction of the buying public, I doubt Mobil would give a darn. The rest of the sheep will just keep buying the OCOD. After all, it IS "America's #1 selling filter!" :rolleyes:

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Keep buying Purolator, at least for now. 100% made in USA for the oil filters I believe. Shoot, 100% made right here in North Carolina.

All of the pallets of Purolator filters we get come from Salt Lake City. Do they have manufacturing there also?

Originally Posted By: RF Overlord
Originally Posted By: david_ES2
if the mobil1 filter's quality is reduced because of this, i doubt XM will keep their name on it and call it a top tier filter.
The big question is how would anyone know if the quality was reduced? Obviously WE would, but since we're a tiny fraction of the buying public, I doubt Mobil would give a darn. The rest of the sheep will just keep buying the OCOD. After all, it IS "America's #1 selling filter!" :rolleyes:

M1 filters are Americas #1 filter? Is that what you are saying?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back