Any oil additives quiet down lifter noise on 4.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
I normaly dont use oil additives, but my jeep grand cherokee 4.0L having lifter noise, when accelation, some time it go away, most jeep 4.0L owner say it normal and just live with it, but it kinda bother me, just wonder any additives will help quiet down a little ?

Are you sure it's lifter noise and not low octane ping (marbles)?
Sure the 4.0 loves 40 weight ..maybe bite the bullet and get some 5w40 or 0w40 in there.last I checked Big Lots still had Quaker State 0w40,5w40,5w50,and 5w20 if I recall,for something like 4.00 a QT.

Originally Posted By: FL_Rob
Are you sure it's lifter noise and not low octane ping (marbles)?
Sure the 4.0 loves 40 weight ..maybe bite the bullet and get some 5w40 or 0w40 in there.last I checked Big Lots still had Quaker State 0w40,5w40,5w50,and 5w20 if I recall,for something like 4.00 a QT.

Quaker state does not make 0W40...
06.gif

The 4.0 does love 40 weight. Honestly, if the ticking is minor, you could give some MMO a shot, but it probably won't help. Many 4.0s have a bit of valvetrain noise and/or piston slap even when there's nothing wrong. They're not a quiet or refined engine by any means.

I would seriously consider dropping the oil pan and looking for broken off parts of a piston skirt. It does happen to the Jeep 4.0 engines. Mine made a tapping sound for a month or two then the piston basically exploded, ripping the wrist pin out of the piston. If caught early you can get by with changing just the damaged piston.

Am old time engine expert can tell you if the sound is camshaft speed or crankshaft speed.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I would seriously consider dropping the oil pan and looking for broken off parts of a piston skirt. It does happen to the Jeep 4.0 engines. Mine made a tapping sound for a month or two then the piston basically exploded, ripping the wrist pin out of the piston. If caught early you can get by with changing just the damaged piston.

Am old time engine expert can tell you if the sound is camshaft speed or crankshaft speed.

not try to be rude, but my engine is not making tapping noise like knocking, but it make a ticking noise. Oil with alot zddp seem help alot.

Originally Posted By: steve20
I thought these engines were 'bulletproof', as noted by many owners

they are, 99-2000 is having problem.

I did a search last couple day, and many peoples with 4.0L was talking about this " infamous jeep 4.0L noise "

they say use seafoam, I use seafoam on brake boost, but never on engine. how much seafoam can be add to engine ? let me look up at the site see if they have instruction.

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: steve20
I thought these engines were 'bulletproof', as noted by many owners

they are, 99-2000 is having problem.

I think its up to 2002, but maybe only 2001. I thought they were bullet proof also. But not any more.

not try to be rude, but my engine is not making tapping noise like knocking, but it make a ticking noise. Oil with alot zddp seem help alot.

Is this the Jeep you just bought a week ago?

You can also check out Schaeffers #132, it will thicken the oil a bit, but is considered here to be a very good additive.

Originally Posted By: Donald

A ticking and a tapping sound are not that much different. If a piston skirt has cracked who is to say it will make a tapping sound vs a ticking sound.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Mine has ticked for 100,000 miles. I fanally bit the bullet and bought a new oil pump driveshaft Assembly . The OPDA is usually the source of the tick and not the lifters.

this hardly ever the source of this sound,
the OPDA issue was with very few 4.0's, pf a certain year.
They mostly wound up in Wranglers.
always lifter noise or sever cases are as prev. stated a piston skirt issue

Last edited:
I'll second the Schaeffer Moly 132. A friend mentioned to me that he had a good bit of racket in his 4.0, and I sold him a bottle for one of his oil changes, and he was very happy with the results. He buys a bottle for every oil change now. I have no idea what oil he was using, but I recommended 15W-40 to him for the summer and Maxlife 10W-40 for our mild winters. He's using the 132 in his 2000 Silverado now too and likes the results. You might try the Lubro-Moly MOS2 additive from NAPA. Either one is about $6 or so.

Originally Posted By: bmwtechguy
I'll second the Schaeffer Moly 132. A friend mentioned to me that he had a good bit of racket in his 4.0, and I sold him a bottle for one of his oil changes, and he was very happy with the results. He buys a bottle for every oil change now. I have no idea what oil he was using, but I recommended 15W-40 to him for the summer and Maxlife 10W-40 for our mild winters. He's using the 132 in his 2000 Silverado now too and likes the results. You might try the Lubro-Moly MOS2 additive from NAPA. Either one is about $6 or so.

how much schaeffer moly 132 cost ? and about MOS2 from napa, I search on their site and nothing came up, reason I dont want drive to the store without checking the there site first, napa store is 40 min away.

I'm not sure about this additive, I would think it's just a healthy dose of ZDDP and moly, I'm deff. not saying its a bad additive I hear BITOG members speak highly of it.
I dont understand why you would add sokmething to your oil rather than getting an oil that does what you want it to, just go to a HDEO with a heavier viscosity and higher levels of ZDDP and Moly ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back