what is correct weight/viscosity for honda civic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everybody. i have a question? i have honda civic lx 2000 with 237000 miles, and i'am always in doubt what is the right weight/viscosity with 237k on odometer. i mostly use 10w-30 motor oils, or should i switch to thinner or thicker oils at this mileage? thanks.......

5w30. They didn't start the 5w20 nonsense until 2001. I would just run that unless you notic it running noisy like ticking an that kind of stuff. If you want to know if the engine is wearing ok do a used oil analysis for 30 bucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he was asking what Honda originally called for in this engine though, he wants to know if he should be going thicker now that it's got 237k on it.

It is true though, 2000 was the very last year where the Civic had 5w30 listed as the viscosity of choice in the owner's manual.

I'm thinking in Los Angeles, you stand a pretty good chance of never seeing 19 degrees Fahrenheit.
grin2.gif

I'd go for the 5w20. That motor is not hard on oil and you'll see a slight MPG improvement.

Honda's own 0w20 synthetic is cheap, easy to get, and easily capable of handling a 6000-7500 mile change interval.

Exactly right.
Stay with 10W-30 in LA.
If you want to use something else, do so, but that grade is fine for your local climate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back