Thinner oil run cooler?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Isn't it the law of thermo dynamics (I have no idea)? A thinner liquid will dissipate/lose heat much faster than a thicker liquid. Honestly If you brought water (2 cups) to a boil 212F and you brought corn oil (2 cups) up to 212F and take them off the heat source. what do you think would cool of more quickly? I'm going with water all day long.

The issue arises with engine oil is thicker oil is recommended for most racing apps because it has the film strength to withstand the high heat and abuse during the race.

Tests?
Real life experience showed me thick oils run hotter by the oil temp gauge. Steady state highway driving was 10-15 degrees hotter wit thicker oils.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
Tests?
Real life experience showed me thick oils run hotter by the oil temp gauge. Steady state highway driving was 10-15 degrees hotter wit thicker oils.

That is my experience too. My oil temps with 10W30 are 5-10 degrees higher that with 5W20 under the same general conditions.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
mechtech2 said:
That is my experience too. My oil temps with 10W30 are 5-10 degrees higher that with 5W20 under the same general conditions.

Agreed. There's a notable difference between an xw-30 and an xw-40 in my Audi when driven under the same conditions, with the lighter weight being cooler, of course.

Originally Posted By: chubbs1
Isn't it the law of thermo dynamics (I have no idea)? A thinner liquid will dissipate/lose heat much faster than a thicker liquid. Honestly If you brought water (2 cups) to a boil 212F and you brought corn oil (2 cups) up to 212F and take them off the heat source. what do you think would cool of more quickly? I'm going with water all day long.

The issue arises with engine oil is thicker oil is recommended for most racing apps because it has the film strength to withstand the high heat and abuse during the race.

Comparing two different fluids like this is an apples and oranges comparison as the specific heat of each will be different.

With oil in an engine I suspect it's not so much the oil's ability to reject heat as it is the energy needed to pump the thicker oil through the engine that would lead to higher oil temperatures using a thicker oil.

Lighter grades of oil have higher heat transfer coefficients (Btu/hr-ft2-degF) than heavier grades. Lighter grades will pick up more heat from the engine and reject more heat to the environment which results in lower bulk temperatures in the oil pan. This is very well known information in the heat exchanger industry (I specify heat exchangers as part of my work).

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back