Australian auto magazine compares 18 oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
My apologies if this has been submitted before. I did a search but couldn't find it.

I came across this article on the Planet-9 Porsche forum: Oils Ain't Oils - Street Commodores

I'm very curious to hear what you experts (claimed and real
wink.gif
) have to say about this. I'm particularly interested in any comments about the Pennzoil Ultra AKA Shell Helix that fared poorly as I just filled my 2006 Cayman S with it.

My layman's* critique of the article is that it in no way replicates real-world conditions; a UOA is the only way to know for sure (besides nuking it from orbit).

Thoughts?

* I'm an ex-NASA aero/mechanical engineer. I am not a tribologist.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DrivinWest
My layman's critique of the article is that it in no way replicates real-world conditions; a UOA is the only way to know for sure (besides nuking it from orbit).

You pretty much nailed it. In fact, I would go even further:

- The additives required to do well on that kind of test can actually be counterproductive in an engine oil.
- A UOA can't tell you "for sure," either (although it's a dang sight closer than that hogwash article).

That article has been roundly and repeatedly debunked, and IIRC also retracted by the magazine. Don't be fooled by the pretty lights.

Aha, I just found this from Street Commodores. Excerpt:

The information we've learned since then suggests the test we performed may be irrelevant. Some sources have advised us that the test we used would have been better served testing some of our favourite greases rather than the engine oils we commonly use on our street cars. Sure, we did the test with the best intentions, with a level playing field for each oil and no preconceptions as to who would perform better than another, but when, and if, we mess up, we like to think that we're man enough to set the record straight.

These tests mean nothing to me either. In fact,I wonder if a motor oil can be "too slick" for an engine? I`ll list two oils from the test as an example (both of which I`ve used),Mobil 1 and RP. RP blows away every oil on the test,and Mobil 1 scored the worst. BUT,Mobil 1 runs the absolute smoothest in my car and RP (10W40) ran the worst. Could this be in fact that a "too slick" motor oil is not what you want,but one that is "cushioning" instead?

Disclaimer:
This is just "my" theory :^P

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
These tests mean nothing to me either. In fact,I wonder if a motor oil can be "too slick" for an engine? I`ll list two oils from the test as an example (both of which I`ve used),Mobil 1 and RP. RP blows away every oil on the test,and Mobil 1 scored the worst. BUT,Mobil 1 runs the absolute smoothest in my car and RP (10W40) ran the worst. Could this be in fact that a "too slick" motor oil is not what you want,but one that is "cushioning" instead?

Disclaimer:

There are different kinds of "slick". This test is about the kind of "slick" that greases need. Engine oils need different kinds of "slick." It's not about more vs. less; it's about what kind.

We've talked about this before. It's an old test and only proves one thing. It is also suspiciously pro-Royal Purple.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

Disclaimer:

I have gotten some crankshaft journal knocking noises before with syntec that I did not with others. My only guess was too slick.

These test have been around for some time now, and as we know this machine is not for engine oil but for grease and gear oil which have extreme pressure additives in them. EP additives in engine oil can cause corrosion so they should not be in engine oil according to XMs take on this. I also understand some soaps do very well on this test. Here is XMs answer to this test.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Oil_Film_Strength.aspx

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
IIRC, ordinary shampoo and laundry bleach do very well on these test rigs.

Head & Shoulders or similar anti-dandruff shampoos with zinc pyrithione in them do great on the one-armed bandit, as does bleach. Coca-Cola also scores well and doesn't smell as awful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back