Royal Purple 0W40 worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Indeed. A replacement S62 for my M5 is $22,000 (hey, that's more than a whole Chevy Cruze!)

You can buy a crate GM LS9 engine with 638 horsepower for $22,000. And it will run fine with plain-jane M1 5w30. Something to keep in mind in case you ever need to replace your S62.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Indeed. A replacement S62 for my M5 is $22,000 (hey, that's more than a whole Chevy Cruze!)

You can buy a crate GM LS9 engine with 638 horsepower for $22,000. And it will run fine with plain-jane M1 5w30. Something to keep in mind in case you ever need to replace your S62.

I'm not into crossbreeds. And if I were, it would be getting a BOSS 302. I'm not into GM either.

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
Yep, my friend runs Royal Purple 5w30 in his truck, but its a 6L GM V8 I'm pretty sure any 5w30 on the shelf will be fine in it.

Exactly.

My cousin has a e65 AMG. I'm going to ask him what oil he runs.

Hi,
NHHemi - The requirement to be "Licensed or Registered" via API or ACEA and to obtain a component Manufacturer's Approval may be but should not be confused with a Manufacturer's Official endorsement. As well, being a Facory Fill is indeed a combination of a number of these protocols!

An Oil Company (or lubricant Blender) has the opportunity to become "Licenced or Registered" via API or ACEA. They can opt in or out! In some cases this is purely a Commercial decision (intended Market, volumes, domestic/international availability and etc)
The testing can be done "in-house" or at Independent Labs that carry out such testing under the QA processes required. Yes, this is costly - again just part of a Commercial decision!

In the case of ACEA they work closely with the Manufacturers in the constant development of the tests and in their future Technical developments. Past experience plays a role - take the evolvement of ACEA's sludge test unit from the Daimler M111 to the M271 engine. The same with VW test components too along with emerging emmission requirements

IMO from around 1990 ACEA forced the API to reappraise the way it carried out its product testing. This especially applied to HDEOs after many disastrous lubricant related events with NA heavy high speed diesel engines during the 1980s! Engine Manufacturers also sought greater input for more desirable outcomes in the real World!

Oil Companies (or Blenders) can seek a Manufacturer's Approval and be Listed accordingly. This can also be done via Independent Labs. Again this may be a Commercial decision alone based on the potential Market! Manufacturer's Approvals may be based on the API and or ACEA protocols and some of their own as well. This will come from in-house Warranty/Field test experiences

MB and Porsche's Approval Lists cover hundreds of lubricants around the World. All will perform at acceptable levels - no expensive non approved Boutique lubricant will do any better!

Being a Manufacturer's FF firstly requires the Manufacturer's Approval. Then of course it will be a Commercial transaction between the parties - this will relate to supply as well as price. It is very unlikely that there will be only one FF supplier - most Manufacturers always cover their supply chain by using a number of suppliers or sources! Typically the products are constantly tested for quality at the "Factory gate"

In my experience over many years I can attest to the fact that Oil Companies work very closely with Manufacturers long before product release time and long afterwards too. Many have resident Engineers at the Manufacturer's Technical sites. They work very very closely with the Manutactuer's and Component suppliers Development and Production Engineers

A Manufacturer's endorsement typically comes from such Engineering activities which involve extensive Field Tests. Such tests will likely include third party engine development programmes and perhaps racing and destruction type durability testing

There are many great products around from Oil Companies and Blenders that do not have the official API, ACEA or Manufacturer "endorsements". We as consumers simply have no "flat field" of comparison in these situations

The Oil Companies (mainly Blenders) that variously use the API, ACEA and Manufacturer's nomenclature without actually going through the official processes should surely raise questions in ones mind as to why?

IME it has always proven best to stay with those products from any Oil Company or Blender that has official credibility!

You simply don't know what you're getting if it's not tested. That is all you can say.

I don't know much about RP to make a judgement of their credibility. I think you're generally safe with blenders that have been around for awhile - Amsoil/Redline/Royal Purple. Just don't always assume what you're getting from them is better.

Originally Posted By: Peted
Yep, my friend runs Royal Purple 5w30 in his truck, but its a 6L GM V8 I'm pretty sure any 5w30 on the shelf will be fine in it.

Exactly.

My cousin has a e65 AMG. I'm going to ask him what oil he runs.

AMG spec's Mobil 1 0w40 in everything.

Is it the new twin turbo one or the older NA one?

Did I start a fire or something?
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
To the OP, sorry this thread got so far off your subject! It started out so well...

Why are you apologizing? You're not the one at fault.

Since it was the OP's first post on the site, I was embarrassed for us all.
We do get threads hijacked here all the time, but hardly ever for a personal dispute that goes on for pages.

I will try to read ony what's relevant in this thread, but it did get somewhat off track
cool.gif

Originally Posted By: hate2work

RP is a very good oil, but there are cheaper oils that work just as well, so it doesn't get much love on this forum. Maybe by becoming a dealer you'll be getting it at a price point that works for you.

Yeah, actually the price is just about the same as regular oil from Shell/Castrol/Mobile1 vs. RP.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
Sorry OP. Another thread in the toilet!

15.gif

Not entirely, just more to read and sort out
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: scurvy
Originally Posted By: Engan
Hi, I'm totally n00b in oil and english, so try to be kind to me

Welcome and no worries - your English is far better than many people who regularly post on this forum from the USA.

At least I'm trying
cool.gif

Anyway, there were a lot of information on these pages, and some of it is actually very relevant. (and some not
laugh.gif
)
But you must give me some time to read all this info, so I can make a decision about what to do
smile.gif

And tnx again!
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Did you mean E63?

Yes. hah and He gets it changed at the dealer so I am guessing M1 0w40.

AMG spec's Mobil 1 0w40 in everything.

Is it the new twin turbo one or the older NA one?

He said it is a 2008.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: buster
I have heard RP makes good industrial oils. I wouldn't know though.

I've heard the same thing. With reference to the picture of the RP drums at what appears to be some sort of chemical or petrochemical plant, that's disingenuous to both RP and other oil companies.

If one is a buyer of industrial lubes, RP is a very attractive source. With respect to industrial lubes, RP's catalog is almost as complete as Exxon-Mobil's. Anyone in charge of purchasing at a facility that required multiple kinds of industrial lubes would be remiss to ignore RP, on the basis of selection and availability alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back