AutoExtra filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is not lots info about it here. Google search lead me to info that it is Wix with different name on it. So I received a box from rock auto today, containing 9 filter total for right under $40 total. 4 Bosch filters, 2 Fram Tough Guard and 3 AutoExtra. After current rebates it will make it $20 total for 9 filter, not bad.
Here is some pic. Looks not bad for filter priced $1.80. Will cut open used someday.
286864_2316878361445_1234067970_32878054_3844513_o%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

287458_2316880041487_1234067970_32878058_6156495_o%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

289120_2316881321519_1234067970_32878061_6659398_o.jpg

289380_2316882001536_1234067970_32878064_358567_o.jpg

I'll admit that I bought two Auto Extra oil filters with my last Rock Auto order, which arrived last Friday.

One was labelled as made in the USA, the other was made in Mexico.

For $1.89 each, why not?

No combo valve on this one...you can see the bypass valve at the far end of the center tube. I wonder why some NAPA Silvers and their clones use the new combo valves and some don't?

I just checked P1 and Tough Guard, they both have valve on far end. Maybe engine specific requirement?

Originally Posted By: river_rat
No combo valve on this one...you can see the bypass valve at the far end of the center tube. I wonder why some NAPA Silvers and their clones use the new combo valves and some don't?
I also saw what 'appears' to be a type dome end bypass in the pics. But, then I went to the RA and it indicates a combo valve design. Also, I am not aware that 'any' these economy Wix made filters 'ever' used a dome end bypass. You may well be correct about dome end bypass here, but I because of those reasons I would like to see a dissection of this AE for confirmation before say this one has a dome end bypass. I would like to see what the dome side of the end cap. Just me.

As for the new Napa Silvers, the the cut open view leaves the impression (to me) that 'all' the Silver line will use a combo valve (green in video) design. Are you saying that you have seen some appplications of the new Silver that use the Wix design separate metal thread end bypass? Or, are you saying you've seen some that indicate they too may have gone to a separate dome end bypass. Again, as with the AE but moreso because of the Napa label, the latter would be very surprising because I've never seen a dome end bypass design on a Wix or Wix 'made for' design.

Still think you the man r_r, but for the reasons mentioned I'm from Missouri on this one.

Originally Posted By: zyxelenator
I just checked P1 and Tough Guard, they both have valve on far end. Maybe engine specific requirement?
I don't think you can infer anything from that. Unlike Wix/Wix made fors with thread end bypass, Purolator and Fram use dome end bypass in all their filters that spec a bypass.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
...Are you saying that you have seen some appplications of the new Silver that use the Wix design separate metal thread end bypass? Or, are you saying you've seen some that indicate they too may have gone to a separate dome end bypass...

I can't speak for all the NAPA Silver/ProSelects or their clones, but in using the 21516 number for a few years, I saw threaded end metal bypass, dome end metal bypass, and more recently--the threaded end combination valve...all on the same filter number.
It's almost as if they couldn't decide.
21.gif

OK. Seems I do rememeber you posting that one # had a metal thread end and also a combo valve in others. Just didn't remember the dome end bypass discussion in said filter, or remember seeing pics of that bypass. I don't doubt you, I think you might know what a dome end bypass looks like.
lol.gif
And, I agree the AE filter here sure looks to have a dome end bypass. That being the case, I would prefer it to the combo valve AE's. It does seem strange to see it in what appears to be a Wix made filter though.

As for the new Napa Silver line, they look to be supeseding the NPS line. Wonder if they will all be all combo valves or follow the hit or miss combo valve NPS line.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back