Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40 (ACEA A3/B4 A3/B4, API SN, SM, SL)

e64702-001.gif

What's up with the calcium level?...looks ridiculously low considering what this oil is supposedly designed to do. Any possibility of lab error on that reading (I've never seen a calcium reading that low)? Even if it's double that amount, the test specs aren't overly impressive...then again, the details are in the UOA's.

Phosphorous analyzed at 867.
Spec sheet says 1000.
Same old Blackstone. They always seem to run 15% low in analyzing Phos.

Originally Posted By: oilmaven
What's up with the calcium level?...looks ridiculously low considering what this oil is supposedly designed to do. Any possibility of lab error on that reading (I've never seen a calcium reading that low)? Even if it's double that amount, the test specs aren't overly impressive...then again, the details are in the UOA's.

Its not a lab error, they're using all that magnesium to make up for th calcium.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Phosphorous analyzed at 867.
Spec sheet says 1000.
Same old Blackstone. They always seem to run 15% low in analyzing Phos.

This oil was previously spec'd at 900 P / 1000 Zn.

TBN I`d read here someplace was 14,and Mobil says the zddp is 1100. I`m right there with ya Bob,disappointed :^(

Last edited:
Have no fear, new improved chemistry is here. Mobil is using this additive system in all their oils which means it's very good. They are using more generic additives in their non Mobil 1is line. Tbn retention should be better.

Can't judge an oil by a voa. Thought we all agreed on that? The high dose of calcium is old school.

This oil does LOOK really weak compared to the 'old' SL-spec one.

I'm sure it will do fine, it just will take time to 'accept this is a strong oil!

They've almost just taken a CJ-4 add-pack, and stuck it in their base oil - check out the numbers on the RT6 posted at the same time.

When I see VOA`s it makes me wonder if synths are only advertising cash cows for oil companies. Especially when cheap dinos have a stronger or same add pack/additives.

Originally Posted By: buster
Can't judge an oil by a voa. Thought we all agreed on that?

Yeah. After all these years, I can't believe how many people still jump to conclusions and chose one oil over the other based on a $20 VOA/UOA.

PSA: There is more to an oil than just what shows up on a VOA.

Alas, if there isn't anything else out there to go by, people will cling onto whatever there is...

This and Amsoil AMO are on my "list" to try sometime. I just don't drive enough anymore like I used to...

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Does this test reveal the additive that is responsible for seal swell?

No. Most people claim it's an ester that is used in HM oils.

haaa yeah I guess so. Well, I think Ca has been lowered in most oils. This M1 formulation seems unique. Haven't seen any oils that look as strange as this brew.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
Does this test reveal the additive that is responsible for seal swell?

No. Most people claim it's an ester that is used in HM oils.

Cheaper plasticizers are used more often than esters these days.

I'm expecting my UOA for this oil (9,000 mile road trip run) anytime now. I made sure to grab the SN stuff, so we shall see how it held up! I'm really hoping it's still as good as before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back